Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/10/cosmic-...

Shipping Q4 this year.

Quote:
This expansion features the Hidden Alliances variant, which enables you and your opponents to reveal simultaneously whose side you’re on. With this simple mechanical twist, Cosmic Eons promises not just to open up a new part of the galaxy, but to change how you play the game.

In Cosmic Encounter, you have to make friends if you want to establish as many colonies as possible. That doesn’t mean you should trust all your friends, or even stick with them for the whole game. The Hidden Alliances variant makes it possible to engage in all sorts of discussions about whose side to take in the encounter, then only reveal your true intentions at the possible last moment.

When using this variant (which works best with at least four players), you have an alliance dial that shows exactly how many ships you will commit to which side—if you want to get involved in the encounter at all. Once you and your opponents are finished discussing alliances and have determined what they want to do, you place their dials facedown until everyone has made a decision. Then, all at once, you reveal your plans. This simple adjustment creates lots of opportunities for persuasion, deceit, and betrayal, as well as adding another element of suspense to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, I thought they'd never actually announce this...now I can stop pretending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised this wasn't announced at GenCon...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I was surprised this wasn't announced at GenCon...

-shnar

I don't recall FFG ever announcing anything for Cosmic at GenCon, ever. But I was hoping, since I knew it was coming up. I'm curious to see how it ended up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I've played with that variant for years. I came up with it on my own. I had no idea anyone else used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Cook

Rigby
Idaho
msg tools
mb
I'm a little confused and don't quite grasp the variant. Can you explain it further?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Potter
msg tools
Any idea how many new aliens there will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every non-main player has a dial. (The dial is pictured towards the left of the first gang shot, under the couch token.) After alliance invitations are issued, instead of the other players announcing their decisions in order, and knowing what the people before them decided, it's a secret.

Every invitee will secretly dial the number of ships they are sending, and which side they are joining. All of this without knowing what the other invitees are going to do, though of course they can talk about it. Then everyone will reveal their dials simultaneously, and move their ships into the encounter.

What do you do with your dial if you're not inivited? I'm sure FFG is saving that for a later update, so I will not spoil it here... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harris
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By my count, between new alien-specific tokens in the spoiler images and the 6 aliens with Essence cards, this expansion could well double the 10-ish aliens in the current complete FFG lineup that requires unique components (so not including things like Cosmic Tokens, encounter cards, unused ships, etc). It still wouldn't come close to a disaster like BatHotH, but I do wonder if there were more elegant solutions for similar powers that could have avoided adding to the alien-specific box-digging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harris
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imnotaspy wrote:

I count 14 between the box art, token art, and card art so far revealed. My guess is no less than 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sulinde wrote:
imnotaspy wrote:

I count 14 between the box art, token art, and card art so far revealed. My guess is no less than 20.

Yeah, huh, they didn't list the number. Well, no expansion has ever had fewer than 20 aliens, and the last two had 25 and 30, respectively. I'm sure they'll say the exact number when the product page goes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
Sulinde wrote:
By my count, between new alien-specific tokens in the spoiler images and the 6 aliens with Essence cards, this expansion could well double the 10-ish aliens in the current complete FFG lineup that requires unique components

Not everything stated in the news article is actually correct, but your observation seems to hold water nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sheriff looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SpaghettiToastBook
msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the aliens is named "Bleeding Heart"? That sounds awkward.

I like the alien artwork so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sheriff looks super hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff - Vagrancy - Macron hosed again.

Well, it looks a lot better than the version I playtested (briefly).

By my count, there are eleven aliens so far that have their own alien-specific artifacts:

Grudge, Invader, Saboteur, Horde, Schizoid, Roach, Sloth, Swindler, Joker, Tourist, Yin-Yang.

It's a bit annoying that the abbreviation of this expansion's name is the same as the base game. Also, since it's called "Cosmic Eons", that sort of implies that it's going to include some of the aliens that were in the original Eon edition that haven't been published by FFG yet. I don't know which ones those would be (perhaps Pirate and Crystal whistle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kolbe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Essence card then effects the behavior of the alien that you gave it to, perhaps by preventing them from doing something, perhaps by encouraging them toward an action, perhaps by penalizing or rewarding something they’ve done."

Not to be that guy, but shouldn't "effects" be "affects"?

WHO CARES THOUGH I AM SO STOKED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
By my count, there are eleven aliens so far that have their own alien-specific artifacts

Actually ten (Roach just uses regular ships).

Sulinde wrote:
I do wonder if there were more elegant solutions for similar powers that could have avoided adding to the alien-specific box-digging.

There are quite a few in this set, but I don't think any of them are superfluous. I mean, yeah, you could always change what any alien does to avoid making the special bit, but if you want the alien to do a specific thing, then sometimes it just needs special tokens, or cards, or a pack of scratch & sniff stickers that affix to planets.

(Just kidding.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaghettiToastBook wrote:

And defeats the one-word alien name rule that has only been violated so far by The Claw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

And defeats the one-word alien name rule that has only been violated so far by The Claw.

These are the sorts of things that beta testers help root out. Hopefully FFG did some good rounds of playtests on these (they can't have forgotten Cosmic Storm already, can they?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sulinde wrote:
this expansion could well double the 10-ish aliens in the current complete FFG lineup that requires unique components

Let's see what the data says:

Base Game 1
Cosmic Incursion 0
Cosmic Conflict 2 ••
Cosmic Alliance 2 ••
Cosmic Storm 2 ••
Cosmic Dominion 3 •••
Cosmic Eons 12 ••••••••••••

I think it's all Dominion's fault; clearly that's what started the turn.

alenen wrote:
These are the sorts of things that beta testers help root out. Hopefully FFG did some good rounds of playtests on these (they can't have forgotten Cosmic Storm already, can they?)

Pretty sure they will never forget the infamous Storm beta test. The thing is, they probably drew different conclusions about it than you or I do. Now that I understand their processes better, I get the feeling that although the beta testing was conducted on materials that were far from ready for publication and the tester response was basically a revolt, FFG still sees the product as a success. I mean, people did buy it, and ultimately that's really all that matters to a publisher: do the subscribers keep buying the products? (They did, they do, and they will.)

Fantasy Flight doesn't see beta testing as an opportunity to correct issues with design, gameplay, balance, theme, etc. Their main goal for the beta is to find last-minute wording issues that may have slipped through the cracks. The primary question the beta asks is, is anything still confusing? It's expressly not asking if anything is still broken or useless or annoying or a waste of resources or just plain a bad idea. The expectation is that all of those kinds of issues have already been addressed earlier. So when beta testers report that something doesn't feel like Cosmic Encounter, has negative gameplay impacts, isn't fun, makes them not like the set, etc., they will usually be disappointed because it's simply too late in the process for those concerns to be addressed. Issues that you or I might think could get fixed at that point actually can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that I'm not the only person hoping that the name "Cosmic Eons" includes at least a few of the still-unreleased components from the Eon days. It's probably too much to hope for Reverse Hexes if this is a "small box" expansion, but Moons or the Praw... Even completely unaltered original iterations of these Eon aliens would be great additions: Assessor, Aura, Delegator, Negator, Witch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

Never really a rule, more of a guideline... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember these discussions about "Arcade" which should have been named "Gamer". Such simple things to avoid. I guess Cosmic is all about breaking "guidelines"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.