Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question to see if I'm interpreting the rules for this card correctly.

Valid Hexes:
1.) In neighborhood of an Automa unit
2.) The factory, or
3.) Hex with encounter token.

Priority:
1.) Valid Hex
2.) No enemy
3.) No Automa mech

Tiebreaker:
1.) Closest to factory
2.) Reading order.

The first card I chose this game was the Encounter/Factory.

So is the validity rule #1 (neighborhood of an Automa unit) constricting the ability of the Automa character to go to the factory, because for a hex to be valid it has* to be in the neighborhood?

Or is it that all are valid hexes, and only the Choose Destination Hex order is the final determination?

I guess my best understanding is that there is one valid neighboring hex (since at first turn with the easiest automa setting there is a water restriction), and the factory as the two valid hexes. If that's correct, then by the order of the card, it would through to the tie breaker that says "closest to factory" which is in fact, the factory itself.

Is this correct? If it is, then on turn one Character Automa hops right to the factory.

Thanks for any insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe the valid hex rules have an 'and' between each line if there is no 'or'.

So if the factory is in the neighbourhood of a unit it is a valid hex. If not it isn't.

So the character can't just warp out there turn 1. It has to spread across the board until the factory is in the neighbourhood.

EDIT

Also it can't cross rivers/step on lake tiles until a few turns pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilovedawkins wrote:
I believe the valid hex rules have an 'and' between each line if there is no 'or'.

So if the factory is in the neighbourhood of a unit it is a valid hex. If not it isn't.

So the character can't just warp out there turn 1. It has to spread across the board until the factory is in the neighbourhood.

EDIT

Also it can't cross rivers/step on lake tiles until a few turns pass.

Right. If you drew that card first, the only move is to the encounter token on your peninsula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok. I think that clarifies it a bit.

I'm looking at the cards more carefully. There are 'or' conditions, but I guess the absence of an 'or' implies an 'and' (I didn't see any cards with 'AND' specifically).

So for a hex to be valid for consideration, it must be:
(In neighborhood of an Automa unit AND (Be The factory OR Hex with encounter token))

Then, for all the hexes that pass the above criteria, it finds any hex in the list that has no enemies in it and no Automa mech in it.

If more than one hex satisfies the conditions, then it looks to see if the factory hex was in the list and chooses it. Otherwise, it takes the next hex with an encounter token in reading order in the list.

Thanks for the response and clarification. This slows down the Automa quite nicely. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every single Automa move requires the destination hex to be in the neighbourhood of an Automa unit. So the Automa will only ever move to a hex that is adjacent to or on a current Automa controlled hex (that can include a hex that is only adjacent to the moving piece). Also, a worker will never move to a hex with another worker and a mech/character will never move to another hex with a mech. In other words there will never be two Automa workers or two Automa combat units on the same hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:

If more than one hex satisfies the conditions, then it looks to see if the factory hex was in the list and chooses it. Otherwise, it takes the next hex with an encounter token in reading order in the list.

Also, if no hex satisfies the conditions it will advance to the next move action on the card, i.e. it will not move "towards" the factory/encounter hex, only "on" to it.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Every single Automa move requires the destination hex to be in the neighbourhood of an Automa unit. So the Automa will only ever move to a hex that is adjacent to or on a current Automa controlled hex (that can include a hex that is only adjacent to the moving piece). Also, a worker will never move to a hex with another worker and a mech/character will never move to another hex with a mech. In other words there will never be two Automa workers or two Automa combat units on the same hex.

Nod. Thanks. Most of the rules you mentioned I was able to get from your Common Mistakes thread. For some reason I missed #15 which eluded to this situation.

But the "Every single Automa move requires the destination hex to be in the neighborhood of an Automa unit" is very succinct and cleared up confusion for me.

Thanks! Now I shall enjoy playing it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Ah, ok. I think that clarifies it a bit.

I'm looking at the cards more carefully. There are 'or' conditions, but I guess the absence of an 'or' implies an 'and' (I didn't see any cards with 'AND' specifically).

So for a hex to be valid for consideration, it must be:
(In neighborhood of an Automa unit AND (Be The factory OR Hex with encounter token))

Then, for all the hexes that pass the above criteria, it finds any hex in the list that has no enemies in it and no Automa mech in it.

Thanks for the response and clarification. This slows down the Automa quite nicely. .

The cards are pretty good once you understand the rules, but if there's any doubt, make sure you read the full Automa rules for the action in question. They spell things out pretty explicitly, instead of abbreviating as the cards do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:

Thanks! Now I shall enjoy playing it correctly.

No problem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
The cards are pretty good once you understand the rules, but if there's any doubt, make sure you read the full Automa rules for the action in question. They spell things out pretty explicitly, instead of abbreviating as the cards do.

Yeah, the cards are intended as reminders, not replacements for the rulebook, so check the rulebook when in doubt. If still in doubt check the forums here or create a new thread and my team and I will be happy to help - though we're often ninjaed, by the extremely helpful Scythe players who help out here (thank you everyone, your help is much appreciated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.