United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I get it

AEG just released another expansion to the ever popular take that game Smash up

It's "Cease and Desist"

I hadn't thought about it till I pulled out the cards, but I quickly realized that each faction looks dangerously close to some major Licensed property that they clearly didn't license.

I am going to start by saying that up until the most recent Smash up release It's your Fault, I'd become increasingly disenchanted with the expansions. I own all of them, but there are some I just don't like the factions.

Now with "It's your fault" they went back to their roots, they released a set of faction that use the base rules, have good art, and are a lot of fun.

And the same is true here. The artwork is fun, and there are a lot of abilities.

The Art
I really liked the art in this expansion, They danced right along that line of "lets see if the publisher can get sued" and "lets make sure the fans recognize the media franchise.

The puns are cute,heck, they are even fun. For example, one of the bases is Wintersquashed and one of the action cards is labeled It's a Trap.

All and all, good art, consistent with the Smash Up franchise.

The Mechanics
By now AEG has the mechanics for Smash up factions down. I played a couple of rounds with just the box, and the factions were interesting, and fun. We mixed them with some of the factions from the base set, and they still played well.

Several people have pointed out that there are some faction pairings that are weak, and others that are overpowering. That's kind got to be expected with the 25+ (30+?) factions out now. If you're concerned about the possibility of one player having abilities that just over power another, honestly Smash Up may not be your up of tea.

Ultimately, the Smash Up Mechanics just work, and they work for these cards.

If you like Smash up, this is a buy

If you like Smash Up, this is definitely a buy. I don't know whether I'd use it as a replacement for the base set (you could, but the original is just so interesting), I'd put this in my top 3 expansions right now, maybe top two. But its still shiny. (Oh wait, that was a franchise that wasn't parodied). We'll see in six months how I feel about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently bought the base set and I'm looking to buy a couple of the expansions. I hadn't thought the expansions would really vary in quality but after reading your review, I was wondering if you could recommend your top 3 expansions for Smash Up.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two most recent ones It's your Fault and Cease and Desist are excellent.

Now going back at the older ones, here's the one's I wasn't fond of and why:

Smash up Expansions I didn't like

Munchkin - I'm not a Munchkin fan, and this expansion added a ton of mechanics regarding monsters and treasurers (to make it Munchkinesque that I thought interfered with game play.

The Obligatory Cthulu set
- This added a new mechanic, Madness, that I understand why they did it, but it was annoying. I'm a huge Lovecraftian fan so I was kind of disappointed.

Pretty Pretty Smash up - I thematically just didn't like this expansion, I primarily purchased it to fill out my set. I'm sure other people would like it.

I think those three are probably my least favorite, now lets look at some of the older ones that I think are good:

Smash up Expansions I did like
Awesome Level 9000 - This is just a good solid expansion, good factions.

Science Fiction Double Feature - Another good solid expansion.

Monster Smash - If you are a fan of Monster movies, this one is fun.

So three I didn't like 5 I did, not a bad average to be honest. I think for me it was that I picked up some of the ones I didn't like all in a row (Munchkin, Pretty Pretty, and Obligatory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
I think the two most recent ones It's your Fault and Cease and Desist are excellent.

Now going back at the older ones, here's the one's I wasn't fond of and why:

Smash up Expansions I didn't like

Munchkin - I'm not a Munchkin fan, and this expansion added a ton of mechanics regarding monsters and treasurers (to make it Munchkinesque that I thought interfered with game play.

The Obligatory Cthulu set
- This added a new mechanic, Madness, that I understand why they did it, but it was annoying. I'm a huge Lovecraftian fan so I was kind of disappointed.

Pretty Pretty Smash up - I thematically just didn't like this expansion, I primarily purchased it to fill out my set. I'm sure other people would like it.

I think those three are probably my least favorite, now lets look at some of the older ones that I think are good:

Smash up Expansions I did like
Awesome Level 9000 - This is just a good solid expansion, good factions.

Science Fiction Double Feature - Another good solid expansion.

Monster Smash - If you are a fan of Monster movies, this one is fun.

So three I didn't like 5 I did, not a bad average to be honest. I think for me it was that I picked up some of the ones I didn't like all in a row (Munchkin, Pretty Pretty, and Obligatory)

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
pretty pretty smash up is one of the best, you have to get it!
the only expansion i dont like much is munchkin. Monster smahs is good but the vampires are so bad that I bought an other set to add more good card in it loll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
You can find tons of posts about this. I think It's Your Fault is the best expansion and really diversifies things. Looking forward to Cease and Desist though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty Pretty is actually my favourite - the gameplay it adds is huge in my opinion. They're really fantastic factions. If it's not your style though, you certainly don't have to try (or enjoy!) it. But if you're not turned off by the concept, I'd recommend trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it, I've played PPP, it just isn't one of my favorites. I do think it's a Theme thing for me. Its not the powers, which are fine, its just the Theme doesn't rock my boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fiallos
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Robot Ponies is ridiculous! I also like Pirate Princesses. I work with kids, and bought the Pretty Pretty expansion to be able to draw some of the girls into the game, but it quickly became one of my favorite expansions.
alexangiraffe wrote:
Pretty Pretty is actually my favourite - the gameplay it adds is huge in my opinion. They're really fantastic factions. If it's not your style though, you certainly don't have to try (or enjoy!) it. But if you're not turned off by the concept, I'd recommend trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mohnkern wrote:

Several people have pointed out that there are some faction pairings that are weak, and others that are overpowering. That's kind got to be expected with the 25+ (30+?) factions out now. If you're concerned about the possibility of one player having abilities that just over power another, honestly Smash Up may not be your up of tea.

If I counted correctly, 46 factions now
The only one we regularly "ban" from our play sessions are Geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the extra $5 MSRP vs. similar Smash Up expansions is to cover legal fees....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krompot wrote:
Maybe the extra $5 MSRP vs. similar Smash Up expansions is to cover legal fees....

lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
I hadn't thought the expansions would really vary in quality but after reading your review...

It's not so much that they vary in quality (the expansions, not the factions - some factions are objectively better than others), but some mesh better than others. IMHO, Munchkin is best left to itself, and Obligatory Cthulhu Expansion only works well if you either have multiple factions that use madness in a game, or none. Other than that, it mostly comes down to which themes you like best, and learning which factions fit your personal play style.

My personal favorites are Cthulhu (noting the caveat above) and It's Your Fault; my daughter loves Pretty Pretty, and my son prefers just the base factions. YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I have to get this. I immediately liked the theme / artwork for this expansion - it's hilarious! If the factions also offer solid gameplay this will nicely complete my collection.

I currently have everything but the Geeks and Munchkin factions, so if I get 'Cease & Desist', I'll have 37 factions, i.e. 37*36/2 = 666 faction combinations! There won't be a better point to stop buying expansions devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Looks like I have to get this. I immediately liked the theme / artwork for this expansion - it's hilarious! If the factions also offer solid gameplay this will nicely complete my collection.

I currently have everything but the Geeks and Munchkin factions, so if I get 'Cease & Desist', I'll have 37 factions, i.e. 37*36/2 = 666 faction combinations! There won't be a better point to stop buying expansions devil

I thought I was done after the Munchkin expansion. I got the expansion, I found the added rules annoying, and I figured I was done.

Then they came out with "you asked for it." and just couldn't pass up the Sharknado's....

Then this one came out, and just wow, way to much fun.

So I give AEG props to bringing me back into the fold, we'll see what they do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
mohnkern wrote:
krompot wrote:

lol

You joke but if this is just a one time increase that's probably the case.

They need to make sure that their factions aren't TOO similar to star wars star trek etc. so I imagined they hired lawyers to give the final OK on all names and character designs.

When they demod the set for Boardgamegeek for their gencon broadcast the guy from AEG said his lawyer was supposed to be there with him but couldn't make it so he was really cautious on how he described everything.

I can't blame them though, if they ended up getting sued by Disney, George R.R. Martin, or whoever owns the other franchises they might have to do a recall which would be costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
melkathi wrote:
mohnkern wrote:

If I counted correctly, 46 factions now
The only one we regularly "ban" from our play sessions are Geeks.

Which is a good call, because Geeks are way overpowered.

I just played Geek Zombies last weekend and I did 3 Felicia Day bombs for the win. Ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with most of the above. I will say, I agree Madness is an odd mechanic, particularly with Elder things GIVING other players madness. It's just aggravating if you don't have an answer. That said, I do enjoy playing Misk (who gains madness, but also can get rid of them) and even moreso, Innsmouth, which doesn't really do much with Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I think the best expansions are

-awesome level 9000
-Pretty Pretty
-It's your fault
- Munchkin

Now, I don't consider Munchkin an expansion so much as another base game. It doesn't mix that well with the others. However. It is, in my opinion, superior to the Smash up base game as a stand alone. The mechanics are better, and you can often get out of a "low minion hand" situation with treasures.

In Smash up, starting with one minions and drawing more actions usually means a game lost from the start. In Munchkin, you can at least use actions to kill monsters and get more stuff to come back in the game.

Note that I hate the munchkin card game lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.