Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought the Central Europe/Benelux expansion for Power Grid and, in reading over the rules, I found one point that I'd like to get clear before introducing the Central Europe map to my family. If I recall correctly, Austria and Poland ban nuclear power and you can't buy a nuclear power plant until you have connected to a city in one of the other countries. That part's clear.

My interpretation of the nuclear powering rules is that you can't power any city in Austria or Poland with nuclear power. So, if I have three cities in Poland and one in Slovakia and my power plants power two with nuclear and two with coal, I could only actually power three cities (the one in Slovakia using nuclear, and two of the Polands using coal). That seems to fit best with the theme and the icons on the board, but it contradicts a couple of other posts I've read. Is my interpretation reasonable or am I rules lawyering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
I recently bought the Central Europe/Benelux expansion for Power Grid and, in reading over the rules, I found one point that I'd like to get clear before introducing the Central Europe map to my family. If I recall correctly, Austria and Poland ban nuclear power and you can't buy a nuclear power plant until you have connected to a city in one of the other countries. That part's clear.

My interpretation of the nuclear powering rules is that you can't power any city in Austria or Poland with nuclear power. So, if I have three cities in Poland and one in Slovakia and my power plants power two with nuclear and two with coal, I could only actually power three cities (the one in Slovakia using nuclear, and two of the Polands using coal). That seems to fit best with the theme and the icons on the board, but it contradicts a couple of other posts I've read. Is my interpretation reasonable or am I rules lawyering?

Don't worry about trying to assign generated power from specific power plants to specific cities. That level of detail is not a part of the game.

All you need to consider for the Central Europe board, is that in order for a player to be able to bid on and own a nuclear power plant, that players needs to have at least one (1) city in his/her grid in either the Czech Republic, Hungary, or Slovakia.

nuclear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
Is my interpretation reasonable or am I rules lawyering?

I think you are doing the opposite of rules lawyering - you are imposing your own idea of what the rule "should" be and adding in additional rules concepts instead of simply reading what is literally written in the rules. The rule as written is clear and unambiguous.
Quote:
A player may only bid on (and buy) a nuclear power plant when his network has at least one city in Hungary, Czech Republic, or Slovakia. A player whose network has cities in only Poland and Austria may not select a nuclear power plant to begin an auction nor bid on one if a nuclear plant is being auctioned.

There's nothing about which plant is supplying power to which city, in the basic rules or in the expansion rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susan,

I think you're supposed to assume that as long as you have a presence in Hungary or Czechoslovakia, you have a place to build your nuclear plant. Poles and Austrians aren't concerned that their electricity is contaminated with Uranium, just that their kids don't glow at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.