GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,283 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need a new PnP on which to work. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm looking for a good PnP to build and play. Can be a pay to PnP or free. No restrictions on time and materials. I only ask that it's not a solo game and that anyone recommending one will have played the one they're recommending and enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks!,
--manu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are many geeklists for PNP games. You can check those or take a look at my builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Feonora

A board game-based RPG (or an RPG-based board game) set in a medieval fantasy world. Cooperative game with one ultimate winner for up to six people. Solo option (even though this doesn't interest you, it's there).

A large board, eight decks of cards, plus assorted other cards, tokens, additional boards, and player sheets.

You can PnP the dice, pawns, and money, or use real dice, pawns or minis (or even Lego guys), and coins or poker chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:
No restrictions on time and materials.

Well, then maybe you would enjoy Karim's redesign of Magic Realm? I have the original game but I have been considering making the redesigned version anyways

Here is the link to the files and the discussion:
Redesign - to MR fans : do I deserve it ?

Karim has made quite a few redesigns that are amazing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
I know there are many geeklists for PNP games. You can check those or take a look at my builds.

Those are really fantastic. What did you use for tokens? Mine are just flat bits of cardstock, and hard to pick up and manipulate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used 1.5mm thick cardboard for tokens & game boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a big project, how about Civilization/Advanced Civilization

Evan's redesign is gorgeous and the game is great, although long:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86842/civilization-redesi...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86843/civilization-redesi...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86841/civilization-redesi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion for a big project, Forge War - files are at http://www.cephalofair.com/forge-war-print-play

A nice small family game is Pleasant Prospect Farm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice you own Zombie Dice; can I interest you in Dicelantis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Heroes of Feonora looks kinda interesting. Leaning towards it.

I actually already have a copy of Civilization. Though I am tempted to build it just for the Advanced part of it. My wife is too in love with our WDS German game board to reprint the board though.

I wasn't even aware that Forge War was available as a PnP so that may be a build I want to do in the future.

I'm really torn on Magic Realm. It has a large fan base but I've heard multiple people say/write that it really shows its age nowadays and people love it more for the memories than the game play. Honestly I should probably just survey my game group about all these suggestions and just build the one they're most interested in.

Those are some great looking builds David Cheng! Great job on those.

Also, Karim's design of Magic Realm looks really nice. Is there a link somewhere to his other redesigns?

Oh yeah. And I'll go ahead and try out Dicelantis, Matt. Very quick build and I've seen you promoting it elsewhere so I'll give it a try. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:

Also, Karim's design of Magic Realm looks really nice. Is there a link somewhere to his other redesigns?

If you go to his profile page and click the contributions tab, you will be able to find all files he has uploaded - should lead you directly to his redesigns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahhhh contributions! I swear, sometimes I'm an idoit... and a lazy one at that. I always half expect people to just link thier things on thier front page. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:
I'm really torn on Magic Realm. It has a large fan base but I've heard multiple people say/write that it really shows its age nowadays and people love it more for the memories than the game play. Honestly I should probably just survey my game group about all these suggestions and just build the one they're most interested in.
My main problem with Magic Realm is the truly arcane combat system. I kind of understand how it works when it's one vs. one, but as soon as there's multiple heroes and/or monsters I'm out of my depth.

It's a pity, though, because it's a truly unique game. Even after all these years, I don't think there's any game that comes close. It even inspired me to start designing a game of my own...

Anyway, it's probably a good idea to check with your group what they'd be most interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.