Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for enjoyable little solo games like Friday (2p works too if there's solo variant / play).

Am looking at Castellion & Sylvion & Onirim (which I kick myself for not getting before it went OOP) but would like more ideas. I didn't like Tiny Epic Galaxies, Deep Space D6 was OK (PnP), and there's a few others I'm forgetting that I've tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb

Why didn't you like those games? That way we can avoid specific pitfalls.

For solo play, I recommend Hostage Negotiator. It has dice and some heavy randomness, but it's really strong, has a great theme, and you are not completely in the hands of the dice.

I personally prefer it to Onirim, but I really like dice and love the theme, so keep that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvion has a deckbuilding element, but probably longer than the other oniverse games and Friday.

I really enjoy the spatial puzzle of Castellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MalCharacter wrote:

Why didn't you like those games? That way we can avoid specific pitfalls.

For solo play, I recommend Hostage Negotiator. It has dice and some heavy randomness, but it's really strong, has a great theme, and you are not completely in the hands of the dice.

I personally prefer it to Onirim, but I really like dice and love the theme, so keep that in mind.

Tiny epic galaxies just seemed like a less interesting version of Race for the Galaxy to me I guess. I'd rather play that (maybe it's the similarities in themes). Also I'm not a huge fan of dice. DSD6 just didn't seem to have a whole lot going for it, but my PnP copy probably didn't help either (I like aesthetics). Seemed like things were either going well or terrible with no inbetween, and I had to waste a lot of dice / some just weren't useable which is just bad design IMO.

I'm not particularly fond of deckbuilders, the only 2 I like are Friday and Mage Knight (which is barely a deckbuilder). I don't mind dice I just want them all to have a purpose, I hate losing because of bad rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Tiny epic galaxies just seemed like a less interesting version of Race for the Galaxy to me I guess. I'd rather play that (maybe it's the similarities in themes). Also I'm not a huge fan of dice. DSD6 just didn't seem to have a whole lot going for it, but my PnP copy probably didn't help either (I like aesthetics). Seemed like things were either going well or terrible with no inbetween, and I had to waste a lot of dice / some just weren't useable which is just bad design IMO.

I'm not particularly fond of deckbuilders, the only 2 I like are Friday and Mage Knight (which is barely a deckbuilder). I don't mind dice I just want them all to have a purpose, I hate losing because of bad rolls.

Well, in Hostage Negotiator you never fell it's all going well haha. No, but seriously, it might not be the game for you then. Threat Rolls are pretty crucial.

It kinda feels like trying to build the perfect storm, maximizing your chances in each hand you play, but always in the edge of your seat because you need a minimum of good rolls to pull it off.

An sadly, my Co-Op games that could work Solo also rely on dice, so I'm not the kinda guy with the info for you. Good luck, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kvaran
msg tools
Ottoman Sunset and Zulus on the Ramparts from Victory Point Games might be what you are looking for. They are quick to set up and tear down, have lots of replay value because of the luck in the game, tell great stories and actually teach you something.

Neanderthal or Greenland are also good games that might work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these suggestions are useful if you want a solo game that's not like Friday. If you want to play a game that's truly like Friday... keep playing Friday. (If you've mastered the 4th level try level 5, starting with 16 life and continue to reduce starting life as necessary.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
79strat wrote:
Onirim (which I kick myself for not getting before it went OOP)

Just letting you know it's not OOP, I've seen it restocked a couple of times in the last few weeks at BoardGameBliss, and it's in stock there now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do not mind a war theme, Airborne Commander maa be up your alley. It is a deckbuider, though, but as Friday it play quickly and has almost no setup time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkvaran wrote:
Ottoman Sunset and Zulus on the Ramparts from Victory Point Games might be what you are looking for. They are quick to set up and tear down, have lots of replay value because of the luck in the game, tell great stories and actually teach you something.

I too was thinking about Ottoman Sunset and other Victory Point Games States of Siege Series... but then OP said "Also I'm not a huge fan of dice." Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-49000ZMG-Onirim-Card/dp/B...

Onirim with the 7 expansions is on amazon still
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.