Subject: Barricade vs. Spawn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I barricaded a suspicious door. Later, during the Mythos Phase, the app told me that a monster came from the direction of the door. It then said to "spawn" a monster in the room.

Since it said to spawn, vice "move", I judged that the barricade would not be rolled for. Correct?

Still, now I don't know what to do with the barricade.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think the barricade has any effect unless the monster attempts to move trough it during its activation. In your example the monster spawned there because of a mythos event, which is actually a previous step to monster activation.

So you played correctly and the barricade stays in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, but while technically correct, it doesn't seem to fit the theme. There was crashing and screaming from the adjacent room, and the monster seems to have come from there.

But I'll stick with what you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Okay, but while technically correct, it doesn't seem to fit the theme. There was crashing and screaming from the adjacent room, and the monster seems to have come from there.

Maybe the crashing you heard was the sound of the window he broke to go out and trough a different entrance to ambush your overconfident investigators?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this is one of the main breaks in theme I've found. Essentially for the barricade to work in that situation you would need to explore the room in question which would cause the monster to spawn in that room. Then instead of going into the room barricade the door.

Barricading a door to an unexplored area doesn't have any effect as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Others have suggested that you can spawn the monster in the room (or empty space on the table) behind the barricade and have it try to break through as normal.

Or you could remove the barricade and count the app spawning the monster as it it had broken through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm personally going to go with one of those house rule options. I'll wait till it comes up during play with my group (as I'm sure it will).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
I think I'm personally going to go with one of those house rule options. I'll wait till it comes up during play with my group (as I'm sure it will).
Easy Mode: Enemy spawns behind door, must burst barracade.

Normal Mode: Enemy comes out of room. Secret passage? Thin wall?

Hard Mode: Enemy dramatically bursts barricade, destroying it as it spawns.

It is your game. I have GMed a LOT of RPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mjrian Sahacp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
The topic "How do Barricades work?" discusses the same confusion. It helped me, understand the concepts at work here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:

The rules are clear, the barricade doesn't matter, but this was so thematically awful that we house-ruled the spawn as a move and forced the monster to break through. (As the monster tried to move towards us all the time during the Mythos phase, it quickly broke down the barricade, which made it much more fun, thematically.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should change the app so it doesn't tell you about the barricade until you have opened the door.

This would be much better from a tutorial perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to destroy the barricade to make it hard on myself.

I wouldn't call this a glitch or anything, but maybe a questionable scenario design issue.

Still--the game is very engaging and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.