Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit, once I heard FFG was releasing a collectible dice game I shook my head and asked why? Hadn't Wiz-Kids beaten them to the punch? Having played a fair amount of Dicemasters, I was unconvinced that more could be brought to the genre. However, like many others I wanted to give it a chance because of the Star Wars IP and FFG's reputation.

Overview
Star Wars: Destiny, as many already know, is FFG's entry into the collectible dice game market. Using a point system, players will assemble a deck of 30 cards that contains characters, one time events, and upgrades for characters. There is also a pool of shield and resource tokens used to put cards into play. Each character and item will have dice, which will be placed on the card when played.

A common question I've seen is how are the dice? In my hands they felt solid and chunky. The graphics were bright and easy to read, with different symbols for collecting resources, melee, and range damage. The cards are also well done, similar to Star Wars LCG. A chart down the side shows the faces available on the cards die. All in all, the components are rock solid, as you'd expect from FFG.

In our demo game, we started with two characters in play. The goal is simple...kill the other player's characters. You will also loose if you ever run out of cards. On your turn, there are a number of actions you can choose. These include playing cards, activating a character to roll dice, attacking an opponent's characters, and discarding a card to re-roll unused dice.

I played Kylo Ren and a Stormtrooper deck. The Stormtrooper had your typical fare, such as blasters and grenades that packed a nice punch, while Kylo let me manipulate my opponents deck and characters using the Force. Finally, each player will bring a battlefield card to the fight, which provides a special action to the player who passes first in a round (see below.)

As cards are activated and dice used, they are spent and unavailable until the next round. Players alternate taking action actions in a round. Once a player has taken all of their actions, they pass and "claim a battlefield" to take the action associated to the battlefield they claim. As I recall, our battlefield generated a shield token, which us used to block damage. You will also go first the following round.

Attacking is straight forward. Activate a character and select a target. You then expend dice with melee, ranged, or a special ability to inflict damage on the target (removing shield tokens first to block damage, then applying the remainder.) Some upgrades can be transferred to other characters if the original owner dies. At one point I had Kylo running around with a blaster in addition to his lightsabre...cool!!!

Impressions
As I mentioned earlier, the components of the game are well done. The actions felt thematic and there are a variety of different card abilities. Game play is quite fast. I would expect 20-30 minutes max for experienced players. Finally, I liked that each character felt unique and trying to figure out the synergies between them was engaging.

Of course the question everyone is asking, how does it compare with Dicemasters(DM)? Whereas Dicemasters is more akin to Dominion as a 'dice bag building' game, Destiny uses Dice as the resource and action mechanic. The dice in DM are used to put creatures on the board, while in Destiny they define what your characters can do and enhance their abilities. In summary, beyond the collectible dice aspect of both games there isn't much comparison to be made between the two games in my opinion.

Is it worth it? Well, that depends on a number of things. The game is collectible, so be prepared to invest and if its something you want to keep up with, invest heavily. The IP will obviously appeal to many people and the opportunity to mix and match the different eras of Star Wars will entice others to dive in. Finally, while it differ from Dicemasters in a number of ways, it is still a dice driven game at heart.

If this was the first collectable dice chucking game that hit the market, it would have been a slam dunk for me to dive into. I keep asking myself if it will scratch a different itch than Dicemasters and as of yet I'm not feeling it, in spite of what I consider to be far superior mechanics. However, I'm reserving final judgement as I want to play a few more games to see if a different part of my brain gets tickled while playing.

This being said, if you like the IP, building a custom deck, and the mechanics of having dice shape and evolve your character appeals to you, this game will not disappoint.

7/10...but I think this could go up with more plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep my money this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this game today in Brazil in a demo by Galapagos Jogos in an event.
I must confess that I am impressed . The game is great ! Me and my friend we just loved it .
Its fast , its engaging , the art is beautiful , the artwork is fantastic .
I had never played Dice Masters before , but this one is a must.
I intend to buy the core set but not all the boosters to get all the cards possible.
FFG just created another SW Gold Mine here ! Its easy to see that .
My main concern is if it would be possible for casual players like me play the game without buying tons of boosters.
a hug...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to get into a Star Wars dice game. There's a lot to love about this, primarily (for me) the use of elements from across the Saga for the first time. (I have no interest in material from the Disney Star Wars films, but some do, and there needs to be some representation for those fans as well.) However, there is one major feature of this game that has lost me, and that's the collectible element. I'm assuming that there will be rares, ultrarares, uncommons, and so on and so forth. I've reached an age where I'm done with chasing down all the best cards to play, while friends with more disposable income assemble killer decks. I far prefer the setup of deckbuilders, such as Upper Deck's Legendary series, Ascension, Sentinels, and FFG's own Star Wars card game. Should I discover that rarity doesn't play a role in the game, I'll consider it... but not until then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
labalbi wrote:
I just played this game today in Brazil in a demo by Galapagos Jogos in an event.
I must confess that I am impressed . The game is great ! Me and my friend we just loved it .
I intend to buy the core set but not all the boosters to get all the cards possible.
My main concern is if it would be possible for casual players like me play the game without buying tons of boosters.
a hug...

Not sure if it will be a "gold mine", as you put it... A lot of people who I know (including myself) are put off by the random draws in the packs. The game looks fun as hell, but that random element in packs is a big no for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My concern is can I stay casual and still have fun at tourneys knowing that some people will have spent way more than me. Huge step back from the LCG approach I've grown used too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dheyrdre Machado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
labalbi wrote:
a hug...

Yaaaay!

It means I was a good teacher modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.