GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
136 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: What's should the next Big Box be? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Baechler
msg tools
Civil War A+ would buy again. That said! It's a uniquely Avengers plot with 15 of the 16 new heroes being Avengers.

This makes me think the next Big Box set would be a big X-Men set. Should it be a major-but-singular Marvel plot line, ala Secret Wars & Civil War? Probably. But I'd also hope for some playable villains. And more X-Force!

House of M? Age of Apocalypse? I think you could just do "time travel" as a theme and get a ton of content. House of M Magneto, Dark Beast, Renegade Cyclops (the most recent time-travel-involved "bad guy", maybe Legion, another Apocalypse...) I'd love to see more X-Force, X-Men, and Brotherhood characters.

Something else? I could also see in a few years, as a tie-in with Netflix's Defenders, a Defenders small box with the characters from their TV shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Civil War volume 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt Marvel will let them do a box centered on the X-Men as long as Fox holds the movie rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm guessing we will see a Doctor Strange small box expansion and maybe a Thor or Hulk big box expansion next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:
I doubt Marvel will let them do a box centered on the X-Men as long as Fox holds the movie rights.

I have seen no evidence suggesting that Marvel is treating mutant licensing the same way they're treating F4 licensing. Even though both movie contracts are currently held by Fox, they were originally signed at different times by different people with different companies, and it is apparent that the F4 contract was pretty awful, requiring Marvel to reimburse Fox for movie marketing out of licensing profits. It seems clear to me that although they are changing their approach to mutants in the comics, they are happy to make licensing cash off their mutant intellectual property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moosemcd wrote:

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/uncanny-x-men/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midwest Razorback wrote:
I'm guessing we will see a Doctor Strange small box expansion and maybe a Thor or Hulk big box expansion next year.

Maybe Planet Hulk.

They tend to follow comic storylines more than whatever is current in the MCU, even though the selection of heroes on the base set was due to the Avengers movie line-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
mbmb
I would do a Marvel Cosmic big box. 1/2 Guardians, 1/2 X-Men. We need more X-Men after Civil War. And it would tie in nicely with Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Heroes:
Guardians;
Starlord (Kitty Pryde)
Angela
Mantis
Yondu
Major Victory
StarHawk

X-Men
Havok
Rachel Summers
Phoenix (Jean Grey)
Psylocke
Doop
Polaris
Teen Cyclops

New Warriors
Nova (Richard Ryder)
Justice
Firestar
Darkhawk

Masterminds
Vulcan
Queen Veranke
Brood Queen
Magus

Villains:
Sh'iar Imperial Guard
Super-Skrulls
Universal Church of Truth
U-Foes

Henchmen
Brood Drones
Brotherhood of the Baddoon

Special:
Starjammers cards to shuffle into the Shield officers deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcclain
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thor/Hulk themed box could be cool,between the Asgardians and Hulks buddies could make an easy 16 heroes...masterminds would be easy too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
Civil War volume 2

Sweet Jeebus, please no! That means more Villains who are actually other Heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a set more like Dark City where it isn't story based. Just good heroes we've been asking for, villains who are villains. Second wish is for special Bindings so my characters from Villains and Fear Itself won't be the only ones referencing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGorman
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:

hasnt stopped them in the past. Fox have held Xmen license since the 90s and to be honest, before these past few boxes, the character base for Legendary was Xforce/Xmen heavy. Also I'm pretty certain Marvel still sell the comics

aint all about the movies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timerron wrote:
I want a set more like Dark City where it isn't story based. Just good heroes we've been asking for, villains who are villains.

I'll second that, and would be doubly excited if it had a bunch of hulk-themed characters in it, though I'm still holding out for a Hulk themed small box.

To be honest though, pattern seems to be to follow recent comics to highlight whatever comics Marvel are currently trying to sell, so I'd expect to see a lot of all new, all different content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'd like one like Dark City, where it doesn't have a "theme" but just includes a lot of missing characters, like Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
To be honest, I'm hoping they drop the idea of following comics storylines. I can't possibly imagine why they insist on it. The majority of people don't follow them, it forces them to do reprints and seriously limits their selection.

Heck, it even kills them thematically since it's harder to base keywords to fit everyone in the story. Hence why in Civil War characters like Lockjaw or Cloak who should have had "Teleport" get phasing instead.

Whereas if they make a generic expansion, whether it is a generic group (like X-men) or just generic power types (like psionics) they would have a much easier time.

But... Nevermind. It's an off topic rant.

To answer the Op's question, if they do take this route, isn't it most likely that the next big box expansion be based on Inhumans? There's a movie coming out. They put them in Agents of Shields, they even put them a major focus in all 3 cartoons recently (Guardians, Avengers and Spider-man) and even put them in the Hulk one earlier on.

okami31 wrote:

They tend to follow comic storylines more than whatever is current in the MCU, even though the selection of heroes on the base set was due to the Avengers movie line-up.

Agreed mostly, except the mandatory exception - Guardians of the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CosGard - Cosmic + Asgard.

Fill out some missing Guardians, season with non-Guardian cosmic heroes (Nova, Quasar, Mar-Vell, etc.) throw in a bunch of the Asgard characters.

Sold.

It also makes sense from a business stand-point, as next year we'll see Guardians 2 and Thor: Ragnarok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Much as I liked the 2000s Cosmic stuff, a lot of it has heavy links to the F4 and it's unclear who is or isn't really "available".

With that said, I'm still campaigning for Colossus big box featuring 15 variants of Colossus, all with affiliations other than the X-Men, just to annoy RangerRob.

What can I say, sometimes I'm a little childish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
Burnham wrote:
Civil War volume 2

Sweet Jeebus, please no! That means more Villains who are actually other Heroes

And yet no heroes that are actually villains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a Asgard small box could be a hit.

Heroes:
Warriors three
Sif
Odinson

Maybe a Loki Triumphant or Argus as masterminds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
That list early in the thread looked pretty good to me.

Although I'm a X-Men fan, I still think the game remains too focused on them, at least as far as Heroes go. We just got a lot of Avengers coverage but still few Avengers enemies, be they of the whole team or ones specific to individual Avengers. Iron Man, Hulk and Thor all have plenty of allies and enemies that would probably fill a box easily.

I imagine the design team gets nudges about current or recent story lines and to make expansions based on that. It doesn't bug me, but it doesn't please me, either, in particular since I often wouldn't have heard of the story line, let alone read it. It was only last month that my library got the Secret Wars main story collection. I would love something based on the original story for the Age of Apocalypse, but the Avengers-centric box would not be tied to a story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need a whole X-Men expansion though that would be sweet, but it's high time for them to include some form of Psylocke. She's one of the most common submissions in the Variants forum.

I don't know if she could somehow be linked to Deadpool (XF affiliation maybe) to appear in his expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about comic book/movie storylines either. I want them to have "The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Vol. 1 - A," followed by, "The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Vol. 2 - B and C," etc.

First set will feature:
* El Aguila
* AIM
* Ajak
* Alpha Flight
* Alpha Primitives
* American Eagle
* Anaconda
* Angar the Screamer
* Annihilus
* Aquarian
* Arabian Knight
* Arcade
* Ares
* Ariel

Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandMasterFox wrote:
To be honest, I'm hoping they drop the idea of following comics storylines. I can't possibly imagine why they insist on it. The majority of people don't follow them ...

If that's true, then the majority of people should read more comics. I can't imagine why people playing a comic-based game would be against that idea. Publishing didn't end in 1993, guys. When I read stuff like this, I hear my dad telling me how much better music was when he was a kid. Hey, I love Sabbath, too, but don't sleep on Revocation just because they started after your 19th birthday.

Ya dig?

EDIT: We're also ignoring the possibility that Marvel has requested such a thing. Given their multi-platform rollout of Secret Wars merch, I'm nearly positive that one was, let's say, heavily encouraged.

DOUBLE EDIT: The Inhumans movie has been shelved, likely never to return, now that Perlmutter has been removed from the film division.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
I would love a big box based on the Scarlet Witch comic....... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Nima
United States
California
flag msg tools
A Dark City 2 would be awesome. villains like Thunderbolt Ross as a mastermind and more Hulk related characters as heroes.

Maybe one of Ross' tactics makes him go Red Hulk, giving him a major perk of some sort?

Other villains like Ultron, Hela, and Kang should be Masterminds (although I think there are F4 rights disputes related to Kang)

A new Thanos MasterMind not tied to the Infinity Gems would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.