Subject: Why would you declare outside of a FP stronghold? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In this walkthrough there a point where FP declares outside of a FP Stronghold.

I asked the question in the walkthrough thread, but not getting any attention, so I'm re-posting here.

If the fellowship did not cross any enemy strongholds, under which circumstances is it advantageous for them to declare outside an FP stronghold?

I cannot see how can it be beneficial at all, but since it was done in an expert game, it clearly shows I'm missing something.

What is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've already been forced out into the open, it can be a good idea to declare just to move the fellowship if the Shadow had armies and Nazgul parked on it, making hunts more dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From where to where did they declare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
If you've already been forced out into the open, it can be a good idea to declare just to move the fellowship if the Shadow had armies and Nazgul parked on it, making hunts more dangerous.

That make sense... you can declare "for free" and moving nazguls, armies takes actions. I'm not sure though if in the walk-through there was any armies/nazguls on the fellowship space before the movement I have a feeling there were none, could be wrong though. Thank you for your answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sixtoedcat wrote:
From where to where did they declare?

It's turn 7 and the text goes like this:
Quote:
Fellowship declares in Dead Marshes to avoid the
Shadow forces in Osgiliath and resets the progress
marker to zero.

The are declaring from Drúadan Forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, there are shadow cards that are only playable if the track is >0. Also, it gets the fellowship way from osgiliath, in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
2 more possible Points:
1) there are cards which have the requirement that the fellowship is at least at step 1 on the Progression track.
2) Cruel Weather (don't know how well you know this game and don't want to spoil the surprise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if no army or Nazul are on the fellowship's last known position, players may still declare them, so that they are not near an army that could move onto them to get a "free" reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can declare to get from one side of a SP stronghold (usually Moria) to the other side without having to draw a tile or waste time going around it.

If you pass through an SP stronghold while making a declaration of your own volition while hidden, you're fine - it's only if the enemy reveals you and you pass through an SP stronghold that you get penalized with an extra hunt tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Also, you can declare to get from one side of a SP stronghold (usually Moria) to the other side without having to draw a tile or waste time going around it.

If you pass through an SP stronghold while making a declaration of your own volition while hidden, you're fine - it's only if the enemy reveals you and you pass through an SP stronghold that you get penalized with an extra hunt tile.

Yep, that is a good point, and I realized it before asking, - still worth mentioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taran Wanderer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
While a Stronghold is preferred, having the Fellowship be in a Settlement can be just as good for avoiding a number of Nasty Shadow cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Andrew, I offered this reply on the walkthrough's page on 6 Aug - maybe you forgot to subscribe?

Rafamir wrote:
zespri wrote:
On turn 7 "the Fellowship declares in Dead Marshes to avoide the Shadow forces in Osgiliath..."

Can someone explain me, what is the point of declaring the Fellowship outside of a FP stronhold? I can understand if the path crossed a SP stronghold, so that a reveal could cost an extra hunt tile, but in this case they are not crossing a stronghold.h

So what is the declare for?

A common reason for declaring the Fellowship is to escape the pursuit of Shadow armies and Nazgul. In this case, the Witch-king had just conquered Minas Tirith and moved the remnants of his army north into Druadan Forest, where they would grant two re-rolls on the next Hunt at least. To escape these re-rolls, the FP player chose to declare to eliminate the risk those two re-rolls represented. Declaring in Osgiliath would not have improved matters as there was a Sauron regular and a Nazgul there as well. But Dead Marshes was empty, ensuring that the Shadow would get no re-rolls unless he used an action to move some forces into the Dead Marshes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:

Bingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Andrew, I offered this reply on the walkthrough's page on 6 Aug - maybe you forgot to subscribe?

Oops, you are right, sorry about that, the explanation makes perfect sense.

Also, thank you everyone for chiming in, good discussion and insight. I'm completely happy with the answers offered now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.