Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often see in these tournament videos that players shuffle the few cards in their hand very rapidly like its some kind of nervous tic.

Can someone explain to me why this is a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first guess would be idle energy.

My second thought is that, at the tournament level, your opponent is watching your every move. If he sees you constantly staring at the same card, it's something he'll want to steal / hijack. So if you're not looking at your cards, or constantly mixing them up, there's no reason for them to suspect anything.

*shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of a holdover from Magic. It's so you don't sort your cards in your hand, which might allow your opponent to deduce what you're holding, and for how long etc. It's obfuscation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
OCD and sugary drinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have sort of said, you don't want your opponent to know whether the card you just played has been in your hand for a while, or whether you just drew it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow. I always thought it was just nervous energy. The idea that players are watching their opponents' hands that closely is whole level of play way above me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
OCD and sugary drinks

Haha. And loooooots of regular caffeinated coffee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I appreciate the info and replies.

Its nice to get respecatble responses and not flaming me about asking "an asinine comment" as has happened on a certain FB group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
tomaisin wrote:
Its nice to get respecatble responses and not flaming me about asking "an asinine comment" as has happened on a certain FB group.

You won't get YouTube Comments 2.0 here - most of the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tics and/or mannerisms are quite common in competitive games, and are probably more noticeable in a tournament environment. Others have mentioned the practical reasons to periodically shuffle your HQ, and there is the potential to influence the perception of your opponent as to what card value might be held in your current hand.

I suppose that there are extremes of this behavior which could be considered distracting to the other player. A friendly request to tone it down as a matter of common courtesy is appropriate, but if it's really, really bad- call over the TO (although I'm not quite sure what he/she could do to enforce better neuromotor control).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. At that level, you don't want to give the opponent ANY information at all. If your 'yomi' is good, you can sometimes pick up on micro-tells that can inform your decision to run. I typically give them a quick toss anytime I've picked them back up to look at them for reference.

I didn't used to as a runner, but now Salem's Hospitality is a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.