Hide
6 Posts

Istanbul» Forums » Variants

Subject: One Overpowered Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I-Sheng Yang
msg tools
Istanbul is a highly interactive and competitive game. Despite a few random factors, a better player still wins consistently. That is why I suggest this small modification. One of the card is really much better than all the others. Every other cards are nicely balanced. They are either always slightly helpful (for example resource/money), or highly situational but very good in those occasions (for example double actions).

The extremely overpowered card is the one that "Sends Your Family Member Back to the Police Station AND Get the Reward".

First of all, the reward of sending a family member back is either 3 Lyra or another card. So this card is at least as good as another card! "Sending your family member back" is totally an extra benefit.

So, exactly how good is "sending your family member back"? It is extremely good on its own! Most likely, you come to the place station and leave an assistant here. Sending your family member back immediately allows you to revisit the Police Station in the new future, take another arbitrary action, and reclaim an assistant!

Remember that "getting an assistant back" is itself a card already. "Sending your family member back" is strictly better than that. So the power of this card, counted to this moment, is already as good as two other cards combined.

I personally would suggest removing the "getting the reward" part. In its current power, winning a game with this card does not feel very rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good card, but probably not the strongest. If you get a card, it is a random card; normally, when you take cards at the Caravansary, you get your pick. The extra benefit of taking your family member back is that you get the bonus rather than someone else; in most games, family members don't last long outside of jail because someone else will go there to get the card or 3 lire himself.

In my rating of card values, I put this card third, behind using the Post Office twice early, 5 lire late (because 5 lire is better than 3 lire for you rather than someone else), and using the Gemstone Dealer twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never considered the "Send your family member back to prison" card very strong, but I see your point.

The double visit cards, particularly Gemstone Dealer I do find very strong. I've won many times using that on my final move.

That just raised a question in my mind. I believe there are two "Double Gemstone Dealer" cards. If you were to obtain both of them, could you use them both in one turn? How many could you then purchase (assuming you had enough money)? I'd say 3 rubies. That would be a big finish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Unterneukirchen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play using the Kebap Shop instead of the Fountain?

Because the handling of your family members completely differs in games with the Kebap shop.
Playing with it doesn't force you to send back your family member to Prison in order to resend it to another location.

Just try it. I don't use the Fountain any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the others. I don't think it's that strong.
But, if you feel that way, use your house rule. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlwill wrote:
That just raised a question in my mind. I believe there are two "Double Gemstone Dealer" cards. If you were to obtain both of them, could you use them both in one turn? How many could you then purchase (assuming you had enough money)? I'd say 3 rubies. That would be a big finish!

Asked and officially answered: Can you use two 2x cards in the same turn? If you have both cards, you can do a 3x action.'

This would be most powerful if you have two 2x Post Office cards: six goods (assuming you have room for all six) and 7-10 lire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.