Hide
6 Posts

Slaughterball» Forums » Rules

Subject: Knocked Down by a Prone Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jojola
msg tools
Just checking to see if you roll the same amount of knives as the prone player, does that mean that you get knocked down now as well? Doesn't seem right that you could get knocked down by a prone player....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That one felt a little odd to me as well. But I couldn't see anything I missed in the rules so I went with it. The worst part is how embarrassing it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picture the prone player psyching the attacker out.
As the attacker raises their foot to deliver the injuring stomp, the prone player quickly locks their legs around the assailants only stable leg, twists sharply, and down they go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we have learned anything from the UFC it's that an opponent on their back can be just as dangerous as a standing one. As a martial artist, I've been kicked in the knee strong enough to drop me like a bad habit. Not fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Chris, the prone condition has definite and precise game mechanisms (you can only defend yourself or stand up).

However, thematically, prone just means that the athlete got knocked down. This can mean anything from a harmless fall and they jump back up all the way to being stunned. Also, it can mean the athlete is faking it trying to lure some sap in for a surprise attack.

The prone athlete's defense dice _results_ (not necessarily the number of dice rolled) can help you imagine where in that spectrum the athlete was. If a prone butcher rolled only 1 or 2 knives, then you can imagine the thematic situation was that he was already befuddled by the fall. But, if that prone cleaver rolled 6 knives, then you can imagine that the thematic situation was that he pulled a rope-a-dope on his attacker.

Mike and Ogmund make good points related to imagining the thematic situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dorsett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this either. For me, on the ground doesn't mean universally 'down and out'.

Generally if you're choosing to attack a prone player you're aiming for an injure result anyway (since knocking down a player that is already knocked down doesn't net you any points) i.e. You generally want to a have a significant dice advantage going in. If you still get knocked down yourself that'd be a significant fail on your end - which makes even more thematic sense in my mind.

If there were no risk, you might also see razors 'having a shot' at chopping knocked down butchers, which doesn't make a lot of thematic sense either.

Just my 0.02c worth anywayz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.