$30.00
Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Tecumseh already have to be in Fort Malden when this card is played in order to use it for the event?

Or could the card be played when he's still in Sandwich, and then he moves to Fort Malden and crosses to Frenchtown or Browntown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jeff,

Interesting question. If I read the card literally, Tecumseh/Indian units must start in Ft. Malden, as it is an Event card. But it also provides that Tecumseh's forces may retreat to Sandwich/Ft. Malden, even in future combat which sounds like a Battle card as well. Note also that the British player scores 2 VPs, and apparently whether or not Tecumseh's forces are moved.

Further explanation from reading MMW thread on Consimworld: would confirm that Tecumseh/Indian units must start in Ft. Malden as Tecumseh's force may only go to Brownstown or Frenchtown (essentially a raid across the Detroit River). The "even later turn" for retreat of Tecumseh forces also means that they're still in Brownstown or Frenchtown from that earlier move, and are now forced back by later combat into either Ft. Malden or Sandwich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Once again, Eric has answered correctly. (Thank you Eric and it was nice seeing you at WBC again this year)

I wrestled with this one a bit when designing the text. Technically Tecumseh could have started from Sandwich, but I wanted to show that this operation would have been sanctioned by the British under Proctor or Brock. The HQs of the Western Division was at Amherstburg (Ft. Malden) and that is where the operation was first conceived.

From a practical point of view, the raids would have been staged from there, since Grand Island is opposite the town and is an easy stepping stone to the Ohio side of the River.

Eric is also correct in stating that the card can be used for the points without actually moving Tecumseh across. The move is kind of a 'bonus' if you want to cause further grief or utilize the card as part of an alternate strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you both, and I apologize for the somewhat tardy reply (I was away traveling on vacation).

This is most helpful. In particular, I would probably have otherwise assumed that if the American player could successfully block the move, then the British Victory Points would not be awarded.

I am currently enjoying my first (on-line) experience of the game, which has sparked a renewed interest in the War of 1812. I did enjoy visiting Fort Niagara, the Queenston Heights battlefield, and the site of the Lundy's Lane battlefield (now mostly a church cemetery) on a visit to Niagara Falls about a decade ago, but it's the game that is finally motivating me to order and read some histories of the war!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Glad to hear you are enjoying the game Jeff. For books I can recommend J. Mackay Hitman's "The Incredible War of 1812" from which the games name is borrowed. There is also my own (blush) "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812" which is now in a second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the guidebook, and I can say that it's very good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks Mayor Jim for the plug.

I have completed the manuscript for a "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the French and Indian War" but have yet to shop for a publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.