Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Giga-Robo!» Forums » General

Subject: About those 200 card sleeves (detailed analysis of possible add-ons) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Someone asked in the KS comments, and I realised it would probably help to have a full breakdown of what cards are in the box, how many you might need the sleeves for, and such, to give people an idea of what to expect:

First, it's confirmed we get 200 sleeves as part of the stretch goal.
Second, they've also said you can buy +50 (price not confirmed).

From here, and looking at the full list of contents in the campaign page, it's possible to build a picture of what's in the box:

+52 pilot cards (13 x 4 pilots)
+132 robot cards (33 x 4 robots)
+32 impact cards

TOTAL = 216

Then of course, we have the bonus pilot's deck, and the 2 expansions which were added as stretch goals:

+39 expansion pilot cards (KS bonus + stretch goals = 13 x 3 pilots)
+66 expansion robot cards (stretch goals only = 33 x 2 robots)

EXTRA TOTAL = 105

All that is well and good, but what will we, as players, NEED when playing?

32 impact cards: ALWAYS going to be in use.

Robot and Pilot cards: 1 pilot ability, 1 ultimate, 15 other cards mixed between pilot and robot.
17 x 2 = 34
17 x 3 = 51
17 x 4 = 68
17 x 5 = 85
17 x 6 = 102

You need 102 + 32 = 134 sleeves to cover enough cards for a 6-player game, and that means you'll have 66 sleeves left over to set up variations on the builds you're seeing most often. Having just 200 sleeves gives a decent amount of flexibility with where you put them. Also, the 13 cards per pilot includes the pilot ability cards, which don't get played with nearly as much (just sat in place on the pilot board as a reference) and will have less need of being sleeved.

Core set: 4 x 3 = 12
216 - 12 = 204

You can almost cover everything but the pilot ability cards with just the basic sleeve package.

Full set: 7 x 3 = 21
321 - 21 = 300

Buy 2 of the 50-card add-ons and you'll have the full kickstarter package completely covered, minus the pilot abilities. This also means that you only need 128 sleeves for a 6-player game using sleeved cards for everything EXCEPT the pilot ability.

It's worth also keeping in mind, however, that one more robot expansion has already been confirmed to be in the works (an additional 33 cards). So keep that in mind when deciding what you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the breakdown, Oblivion Doll!

Personally, I like to keep all my cards permanently sleeved (constantly unsleeving and re-sleeving new deck builds adds wear and tear, on top of being time-consuming). I've been thinking about how I want to approach the Giga-Robo KS sleeves, and here's the happy medium I've come up with:

-Use the KS sleeves to sleeve all of the pilot cards (70 so far, 130 left over for future expansions - should be plenty unless this game goes completely expansion-crazy)
-Sleeve the pilot abilities and the impact cards in clear sleeves
-Sleeve the robot cards in Robot-specific "team colours" (Red for O-Gun, Purple and Black for Ayzn, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Azilut wrote:
Thanks for the breakdown, Oblivion Doll!

Personally, I like to keep all my cards permanently sleeved (constantly unsleeving and re-sleeving new deck builds adds wear and tear, on top of being time-consuming). I've been thinking about how I want to approach the Giga-Robo KS sleeves, and here's the happy medium I've come up with:

-Use the KS sleeves to sleeve all of the pilot cards (70 so far, 130 left over for future expansions - should be plenty unless this game goes completely expansion-crazy)
-Sleeve the pilot abilities and the impact cards in clear sleeves
-Sleeve the robot cards in Robot-specific "team colours" (Red for O-Gun, Purple and Black for Ayzn, etc.)

This is an awesome plan! I like it! I might actually reconsider what I'm doing with my cards in response to how cool this sounds. Although I'd probably prefer to cover the robot cards rather than pilot cards (Add an extra 50 and I should be safe with all current robots and the one confirmed expansion we haven't seen yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure what I'll do with the sleeves. I already have a ton of penny sleeves, which I prefer (less prone to damage and cheaper). I was leaning towards getting 3 extra packs to sleeve everything, but unless the price is particularly cheap, I'll probably just keep the 200 to the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion: Giga-Robo cards already have Giga-Robo backs. Use the KS sleeves to sleeve your Magic, Netrunner or Pokemon (?) decks. Add a little more Robo into the world, so when your opponent asks about the awesome art, you can tell him about the awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe P
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the original KS commenter asking about sleeves, thanks for the breakdown!

I'm definitely of the "sleeve everything once" school.

Are the backings of the pilot and mecha cards the same or different?

Other options if you'd rather stick to a mecha theme, rather than plain opaque card backs:

Cardfight! Vanguard sleeves

Or if you can find them and have the cash, are the Gundam Carddas Masters Official Card Sleeve Collection (expensive!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possible use for different sleeves would be to differentiate between card types (e.g. KS sleeves for attacks, white sleeves [or some other distinctive colour] for instants) to make it easy to see at a glance what you have available to you when planning your turn. If you wanted to get really fine-grained you could even use different sleeves for ranged vs. melee attacks.

Personally, while I like the utility of that approach, it doesn't appeal to me as much aesthetically as the "team colours" idea. Then again, since most robots have at least a primary and a secondary colour, I may try to combine the two ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
y3ol wrote:
Are the backings of the pilot and mecha cards the same or different?

Here are the card backs from the Tabletopia Demo:

Don't know if those are temporary or permanent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Are the impact cards actually sized differently from others?

Or is just the image scaling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all standard poker size cards, so 2.5" x 3.5". The scaling in the demo is more a workaround in dealing with a odd bug that was making the impact cards not able to flip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.