Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just found out about this game and created a quick and dirty poor man's version.
Changes made:
* Eliminated all voting cards, just point to each other, and cross your hands for ambush.
* Replace Gold Cards with 1 unit chips. (4 chips per round, may be adjusted)
* Still need 6 cards to represent the prisoners dilemma cards.
Winning condition: 7 chips win the game.(adjustable)

Played with this variant and it works very well. I dont think it loses out anything by removing all the cards.

This post here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1491314/some-odds-my-friend...
shows that the most probable winning # of cards are 6 and pretty definite at 7. So, you can either have a hard stop at 7, or create a 13.5% winning mechanism when a player reaches 6 points. Maybe some catchup mechanism where you pit the <6 players vs the 6ers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a way to demo the actual game before recommending this. I'm not sure your solution accurately recreates what makes the game special. As stated, it may play more like Cash N Guns, which is a fun game, but a different one. More reflex than true conspiracy. The voting deck and the Final Showdown cards are very important to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smirky wrote:
Find a way to demo the actual game before recommending this. I'm not sure your solution accurately recreates what makes the game special. As stated, it may play more like Cash N Guns, which is a fun game, but a different one. More reflex than true conspiracy. The voting deck and the Final Showdown cards are very important to the game.

Would you elaborate what you can do with the voting deck that you cannot do with just pointing?
In my thought experiment of the game, the only thing you gain by using cards is another venue to signal covertly or use sleight of hand. For the former, it seems like other means of covert signaling is more fun because those signals may be misinterpreted. For the latter, sleight of hand is a one trick pony, after it is used, the player is marked with the ability.

I do agree that the tension is better with the showdown cards, but those may be easily reproduced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a huge communication tool - and it commits a player to her choice. The pointing can be fudged. Cash n Guns exists already and has the mechanic you suggest. Having played both, the feel of this game and the play of this game feel worlds different. Parallels can be drawn for sure, but they are different games. Try them both and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smirky wrote:
It is a huge communication tool - and it commits a player to her choice. The pointing can be fudged.

Right, but it does not leave room for ambiguity. We have tons of ways to communicate just by using our bodies. And again, the beauty of ambiguity or miscommunication which comes from these forms of communication creates more interesting situations than absolutes. You are unbounded in every form of covert communications, lets put some creativity in to this.

And sure, if we had the cards as a tool, it would be great too, but those can also be easily replaced by playing cards, which have #s that are easier to communicate than colors and also colorblind friendly.

On commitment and fudging. I am not sure of the type of people you play with, but I wouldnt want to play with those who would consider cheating in a game with such low stakes. anti-cheating mechanisms are unnecessary, get new friends.

on a side note: i just found out that you are the designer hi! sorry for suggesting this "variant". I agree, your cards are nice, but its not 20+ bucks nice. could you replace the gold bars with something cheaper like bronze or something? btw, may i have a discount? i am poor... thus this variant. thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
niburo wrote:
Would you elaborate what you can do with the voting deck that you cannot do with just pointing?

I would say it's more what you can do with just pointing that you can't do with a card - like adjust your point if you see that your original target isn't a majority target. This isn't sleight that can be detected; in a multiplayer game sat round a table you will always be bringing your arm down in an arc.

With cards you're also not committed to a simultaneous vote. You can throw out a card quickly to mislead people as to your target, you can fake or even make a random vote, and you don't need to keep your second arm free to indicate an ambush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Moldovan
msg tools
I was thinking about a home version of this game too.
What about using normal playibg cards. Thee decks. Give each playera a number from A, 2, 3,...J with a card to represent the character, flip it when out of round.
Then take cards for each player number. If you play your own number its an ambush.
Use tokens from other game as gold.
What do yo u think?

Ps: sorry, english is muy second language

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Javiermoldovan88 wrote:
I was thinking about a home version of this game too.
What about using normal playibg cards. Thee decks. Give each playera a number from A, 2, 3,...J with a card to represent the character, flip it when out of round.
Then take cards for each player number. If you play your own number its an ambush.
Use tokens from other game as gold.
What do yo u think?

Ps: sorry, english is muy second language

Great idea! I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.