Subject: Additional supply cubes for player who triggers end game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the player who triggered the end game by taking the last of the supply cubes on his turn still have access to the extra cubes on that same turn? The rules say that after the end game has been triggered, players may still buy supply cubes on their last turn by using the extra that had been set aside. According to the way the rules are written, since the end game is announced at the end of the player's turn, it would seem then that this player could only buy the cubes among the supply pile on his turn.

On my turn I bought the Scorpion Farm tile and bought the remaining 2 supply cubes. There were no more cubes for me to buy so I ended my turn and announced the end game had been triggered. Since the end game was now triggered, the other player bought 4 cubes from the extra supply pile in order to finish their tile. Did we play this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It's very clearly stated in the rutles that extra supply cubes are put out for the other players to complete their turns.

Edit: blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that running out of cubes was only intended to signify the trigger for the end of the game. Not allowing the player who takes the last cubes from the original pool access to the additional cubes would seem unduly harsh. Only my opinion and I'm happy to be corrected by the game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
How will your marriage grow today?
badge
How will your marriage grow today?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark. I believe the person who triggers the endgame can still get additional cubes if needed. Perhaps A.J. will chime in with an official word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubes are never limited. Sorry if that is not totally clear in the rules. So yes, the player who takes the last cube can still buy more cubes from the reserve if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Couch
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Hey everyone! Thanks for playing Saloon Tycoon! This is a great question.

Mark is right. Running out of cubes is intended to trigger the end of the game. But we wanted to make sure players could always buy cubes. So the supply should be replenished immediately, even in the middle of the triggering player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertCouch wrote:
Hey everyone! Thanks for playing Saloon Tycoon! This is a great question.

Mark is right. Running out of cubes is intended to trigger the end of the game. But we wanted to make sure players could always buy cubes. So the supply should be replenished immediately, even in the middle of the triggering player's turn.

ninja you Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response everyone!

It seemed like logically the end player should be able to take from the reserve as needed and so that was my hunch (the part in the rules which explains that the supply cubes are never meant to be limited for players was a big indicator), however, the rules could be read such that only the players after the player who triggered the end may do so. If this latter interpretation were correct, this would indeed be a negative on being the player to trigger the end, but because there are also benefits to being this player (including being able to be the last one to move characters and take character bonuses when completing a tile) I thought there might be reasons that this was a rule and that it had come out that way through playtesting the game.

In the end, I am glad that the simpler and more logical explanation won out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.