Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the question is this.

The wife, who is a solid gamer, just not on BGG (Thank goodness, one of us is enough!), and we are seriosuly considering moving to Hawaii. We are going in a few months and looking for work, while vacationing and was curious if there is any scene out there?

While its not a deal breaker, it certainly would be nice to know there are similar people.

I am in Hospitality/photography and she is in Retail so we are thinking Maui and Oahu, though I think we will fall in love with Kuai...

Any thoughts, help, suggestions, job offers welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at:

The Oahu Board Gamers

Hawaii, USA

There is gaming, especially on Oahu.

Just keep in mind, as you consider a move to Hawaii, if you move to Oahu, the traffic is bad and the cost of living is expensive. Also, it helps if you have a laid back nature, as it is a different culture than the mainland US. Just keep some realistic expectations as you consider this.

Aloha,

Ted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live on the Big Island for a long time and the wife and I have been considering moving back to the islands ourselves someday. Jobs/making a living is the biggest hurdle obviously. Someday...someday.

It's been a long time but Oahu is probably your best bet, as it has the most people and the most infrastructure but whatever the island, putting the word out is your best chance of finding people to play. Flyers at bookstores and libraries has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
Take a look at:

The Oahu Board Gamers

Hawaii, USA

There is gaming, especially on Oahu.

Just keep in mind, as you consider a move to Hawaii, if you move to Oahu, the traffic is bad and the cost of living is expensive. Also, it helps if you have a laid back nature, as it is a different culture than the mainland US. Just keep some realistic expectations as you consider this.

Aloha,

Ted

Thanks for the input Ted, we certainly are looking to escape the crazy Northeast, I expect it will be a big change, and I am ok with that, in fact ready for it.

Sadly the metro areas are best for both of us for work, but hopefully we can find something in the middle ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived on Oahu about 10 years ago, and there was a small but dedicated group. It took a while before I joined them, at first I would feel guilty about playing games on such a nice day, but after a few months you realize that tomorrow will be just as nice so it's OK to stay inside and play games once in a while.

As for living there, it's not the same as being on vacation. Besides the cost of living, there are other problems as well. Racism, corruption, one-party politics, traffic, etc. Recommend you rent for a year or two before you buy. It's not for everyone.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check out meetup.com to find groups on the islands that play board games. Facebook and Craigslist are also popular ways to communicate to community in Hawaii.

Kauai has a small group that meets once a month for boardgames plus weekly-ish Magic the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh meet ups.

Oahu has a bigger scene for sure. Last week Oahu had a boardgame library set up for Hawaii Comic Con, for example, in addition to the regular meet ups.

As the previous poster mentioned, cost of living is very high on all the islands and it seems if the average pay is somewhat less than many urban areas of the mainland. I might add that people can be a bit reticent toward newcomers at least in part do to the high turnover in population. Patience comes in very handy in Hawaii.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
As the previous poster mentioned, cost of living is very high on all the islands and it seems if the average pay is somewhat less than many urban areas of the mainland. I might add that people can be a bit reticent toward newcomers at least in part do to the high turnover in population. Patience comes in very handy in Hawaii.

Thanks a lot for this feedback. I can understand the turnover issue. I am certainly hoping to make an informed decision and understand what we are planning here.

Is it realistic to expect to hop between islands often for various things? or is it more like a once a year for a special occasion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwhitpan wrote:
Is it realistic to expect to hop between islands often for various things? or is it more like a once a year for a special occasion?

There are flights or ferries that you can take if you want to island-hop but unless you've got the disposable income, I imagine more than a couple times a year could add up pretty quick. There's also the time-commitment. Even if a flight from Kona to Honolulu is only 25 minutes, you have to factor in all your "non-flying" time. My mother used to commute to Honolulu years ago (wouldn't wish that on anyone) and between transport back and forth from both airports and check-in/waiting at the airport itself, she spent around 6 hours just commuting. That's on top of a 9-hour work day.

So, island hopping can be done...but it's not something you'll probably want to do unless it's for some kind of special event, like a family-gathering, concert, convention, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwhitpan wrote:
Budapest wrote:

Thanks a lot for this feedback. I can understand the turnover issue. I am certainly hoping to make an informed decision and understand what we are planning here.

That depends on your budget. Most of my friends on Kauai island hop whenever they can afford it. Kauai is a small rural island and island hopping is the only way to get away. I'd say cost is the biggest inhibitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
In the old days traveling Interisland was a lot more reasonable. Now days, it is so expensive that I only do it on special occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morelli
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used to host a pretty big group of board gamers on Maui about a year ago. I moved off island and am pretty sure the whole group fell apart. There is a local comic book store where some of the regulars I used to play with hang out (and play Magic The Gathering I think.) The store is in Kahului on the back side of the 76 gas station parking lot on Dairy Road.

Edit: Also these guys meet in Kihei: http://www.meetup.com/MauiBoardGame/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.