Subject: Some rules questions: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
1. Can a player take only one action? Or must he always take two, even if detrimental to him? For example, a player lays one petal (1 action) and lays another petal on same flower (2nd action).

2. Can this game be played competitively with 4 players, or is the Family variant the way to play 4 players?

3. Completing a flower (after 1st action) does not end that player's turn if he still has his 2nd action left, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan & Mandy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi this is Mandy, one of the game designers. These are excellent questions, thanks for posting! See below for answers:

1. Can a player take only one action? Or must he always take two, even if detrimental to him? For example, a player lays one petal (1 action) and lays another petal on same flower (2nd action).
1A: A player must take two actions every turn. You can use both actions to play a single petal card on the same flower if you choose, so your example is a valid turn.

2. Can this game be played competitively with 4 players, or is the Family variant the way to play 4 players?
2A: Yes, it can be played competitively with 2-4 players using the base rules. The Family Variant is an alternative way to play with 4 players.

3. Completing a flower (after 1st action) does not end that player's turn if he still has his 2nd action left, right?
3A. Correct! He has 2 actions even if the first completes a flower. He may complete 2 flowers in a single turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LYNDA ORM
United States
Atlanta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1A: A player must take two actions every turn. You can use both actions to play a single petal card on the same flower if you choose, so your example is a valid turn.

WHAT??!

Option 1 states that a player more lay 1 or 2 petals on the same flower.

option 2 exchange cards

option 3 move your power bug.

You may take 2 of these option (actions) in any order. And the same action can used twice.

I understand that to be...option 1 can be played twice. SO.... 4 petals can be played. Two flowers petals can be placed on a flower, two more on another flower. OR... 4 petals on the same flower. If you have the token allowing you to play up to 3 petals....then 5 petals can be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
star5red wrote:
I understand that to be...option 1 can be played twice. SO.... 4 petals can be played. Two flowers petals can be placed on a flower, two more on another flower. OR... 4 petals on the same flower. If you have the token allowing you to play up to 3 petals....then 5 petals can be played.

Sure. But that doesn't prohibit you from playing 1 petal on the first action, then 1 petal on the second, for a total of 2, if for some reason you don't want to use both of your actions. Usually either returning cards to the bottom of the player deck or moving a guardian is more useful than doing nothing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New question:

I have cards from the neutral deck (Wildflowers) in my hand.

If I chose Action 2 "Exchange cards," may I put those Wildflowers on the bottom of MY PERSONAL PLAYER DECK, or are they RETURNED to the supply of Wildflowers and then I draw from my personal deck?

In other words, once those Wildflowers are in my hand, are they considered part of my personal deck for the rest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you run out of wildflowers before anyone draws their last card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheAuthorOfOZ wrote:
In other words, once those Wildflowers are in my hand, are they considered part of my personal deck for the rest of the game?

Yes. See this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658695/tucking-cards

seppo21 wrote:

The rules don't specify, so we can only assume that nothing happens. There are no discards to shuffle, so the supply of wildflowers simply runs out drawing from them is no longer an option.

As a side note, it's helpful to others if unrelated questions are posed in separate threads with meaningful titles. That makes it much easier to find answers that have already been given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
seppo21 wrote:

The rules don't specify, so we can only assume that nothing happens. There are no discards to shuffle, so the supply of wildflowers simply runs out drawing from them is no longer an option.

If there are no wildflowers on which to play cards it seems pretty pointless to sit and shuffle around your cards for all eternity. Surely that is not the designer's intent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
If there are no wildflowers on which to play cards it seems pretty pointless to sit and shuffle around your cards for all eternity. Surely that is not the designer's intent?

I'm not sure what you mean. You can play any petal cards to start or continue a flower. I wonder if you are thinking the wildflower cards are the "starting point" for flowers; this is not the case. Wildflower cards are only special in that they have no Guardian symbols on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBob wrote:
seppo21 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. You can play any petal cards to start or continue a flower. I wonder if you are thinking the wildflower cards are the "starting point" for flowers; this is not the case. Wildflower cards are only special in that they have no Guardian symbols on them.

While that may indeed be the intent, the rules I read do not provide a means for starting a flower other than via the wildflower deck. If you are able to start flowers with the player cards, that leads to a host of other questions related to the use of the terminology of "wildflowers" in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be clearer, but on page 6:
Quote:
When starting a new flower, a Petal Card can be placed anywhere in the Lotus garden. A new flower may not be started if another one of the same type is already growing in the garden. Therefore, a player must complete a flower before starting another flower of that same type.

The only way new flowers get started is when a player plays petal cards from their hand. Those petal cards might be their own, or might be wildflower cards they drew previously.

See also the examples at the end of the rulebook; you can see flowers there with no wildflower cards in them, which would be impossible if wildflower cards were required to start new flowers.

Also, on page 8 I now see that there is a direct answer to your earlier question:
Quote:
When the Wildflower Deck runs out, continue game play as normal but do not refill the supply of Wildflower Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The only way new flowers get started is when a player plays petal cards from their hand. Those petal cards might be their own, or might be wildflower cards they drew previously.

That is the misunderstanding. We understood the four wildflower cards as being the cards that you played other cards on. Thus the rule states that you add cards to a flower make perfect sense. The wording of this action could certainly have been clearer since you are not technically adding a card to a flower when you are starting a new one. This certainly addresses my one big gripe about the game in that flowers came up fairly randomly (if you are drawing from the deck). Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.