$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Visiting Seoul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

(I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems like there’s no Korea forum here on BGG …)

I have the opportunity to visit Seoul in the last week of August with my wife. She’ll be attending a congress during the day, so I will have lots of time to discover the city, eat tons of streetfood and visit different sites.

So my question to you: are there any boardgame related places I shouldn’t miss, like stores or boardgame cafés? And any games that are worth getting from Korea that I wouldn’t be able to buy here?

And, bonus question: is there any open game group that gets together during the day (since I’ll be taking my wife out in the evenings and probably won’t play games then)? Or any fellow geek willing to meet & game?

Cheers,
Daniel
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you (apparently) don't play Go (aka Baduk in Korean), as I believe there are lots of places where people meet to play Baduk! (But alas probably full of dense cigarette smoke, from what I've heard...) The pro player Lee Sodol who played vs AlphaGo a few months ago is Korean.


I hope to visit Seoul next year. So I'll be curious to see whether you get any good gaming leads.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wear
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about the board game scene there, but don't miss the War Memorial of Korea. Highly recommended.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
Daniel666 wrote:
Hi everyone,

(I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems like there’s no Korea forum here on BGG …)

I have the opportunity to visit Seoul in the last week of August with my wife. She’ll be attending a congress during the day, so I will have lots of time to discover the city, eat tons of streetfood and visit different sites.

So my question to you: are there any boardgame related places I shouldn’t miss, like stores or boardgame cafés? And any games that are worth getting from Korea that I wouldn’t be able to buy here?

And, bonus question: is there any open game group that gets together during the day (since I’ll be taking my wife out in the evenings and probably won’t play games then)? Or any fellow geek willing to meet & game?

Cheers,
Daniel



Yeah, I've asked the admins a number of times, but they just dislike the idea of a Korean forum.

I currently run the biggest board game group in Korea that gets together every single day of the week to play games, 12PM~ 11PM daily, with frequent all-nighters! Message me for details
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
I don't know anything about the board game scene there, but don't miss the War Memorial of Korea. Highly recommended.


I second this. It is a great place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Oororo board game café (Gangnam-gu Yeoksam 1-dong 817-6).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
I don't know anything about the board game scene there, but don't miss the War Memorial of Korea. Highly recommended.


Thank you for the suggestion! At first I thought, "why would I visit a war museum?", but then I remembered I'd be going there alone anyway. So, yay! I'm going to visit the war memorial. Oh my, what a load of stuff they show there. *excited*


ryansl wrote:
Yeah, I've asked the admins a number of times, but they just dislike the idea of a Korean forum.

I currently run the biggest board game group in Korea that gets together every single day of the week to play games, 12PM~ 11PM daily, with frequent all-nighters! Message me for details


Ryan, that sounds amazing! PM sent.

Randombias wrote:
Try the Oororo board game café (Gangnam-gu Yeoksam 1-dong 817-6).


Ok, I saved it to my CityMaps2Go App. I wonder if I'll be able to find it though … But thanks for the tip!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.