5 Posts

Valley of the Kings: Afterlife» Forums » Rules

Subject: Burial Chamber rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not strictly speaking a rules question as I'm more interested in the implications. But didn't seem like "General" either.

I haven't played this or VoTK but am quite interested (currently tossing up which one to go for).

I'm trying to work out the purpose of the Burial chamber card, with which you give one of your own cards to an opponent to entomb (as well as entombing another of your own). In what scenarios would this be a good move? Is it a "thinning" move with a cost, in that an opponent also gets something? Is this a move which would be more beneficial in a multiplayer game, in order to prevent a third party from maybe getting a card they need? Or is there something else to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me a while to come to terms with this, but effectively ANY move in this game which gives you the ability to Entomb more than once (since this doesn't count as your Entomb for the turn) is golden. Give them a Starter card to Entomb while you tuck in a set card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically what Victor said. Winning strategies in this game often come down to having a deck with 7 or less cards and being able to entomb a card to offset the one you've bought is important. IMHO, its much easier to acquire two or more cards per turn in Afterlife than it is in VOTK, so having a multiple entomb actions is the only way to keep your entombing rate at the same speed as your acquisition rate. Similarly, thinning is important so dropping a card in your opponents tomb can be helpful even if you give him a point. As pointed out above, when you play the card in question, you often give your opponent a starter card as giving him one point in exchange for increasing the set size in your tomb is an opportunity cost well worth paying. The other way you can play this card is that to remember that duplicates count for nothing. So if you've picked up a card you don't want but your opponent has already entombed its matching pair, you can put it in his tomb for zero points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David - the duplicates part was the bit I was missing I think, that makes a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.