Hide
4 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Dracula seems weak in combat. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolf Dude
msg tools
The few games which I have played, it seems Dracula seems weak when he gets into combat. I'm not sure about how people feel about Hunters being able to block Dracula's attack and able to dish out some damage at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf_Dude80 wrote:
The few games which I have played, it seems Dracula seems weak when he gets into combat. I'm not sure about how people feel about Hunters being able to block Dracula's attack and able to dish out some damage at the same time.

I haven't noticed that Dracula is weak in 1 on 1 combat, he can do considerable damage to a lone hunter. His problem is when he facing multiple hunters where the non targeted hunter just gets to deal damage without being hit themselves.

Dracula typically wants to do his best to avoid such combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with H-B-G, Dracula can do a lot of damage 1v1. As hunter you almost never want to fight him alone. If you have good/great items and it is during day (he moved onto you), then it might be worth it to commit to a longer fight.

2v1 and good item cards is a dead Dracula.

The "Detailed 3rd Edition references for all players" in the Files section of BGG for this game has a chart that shows you what cards cancel others. This helps both sides but in 1v1 it will make Dracula even more deadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Mainwaring
United Kingdom
London
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have mixed feelings about the combat. There has been times where Dracula has been roundly pummelled in combat but other times where he's dished out a good beating.

I do agree that more than one hunter in the fight really has Dracula on the ropes.

Dracula's best card for me is the 'Strength' card. Not only does he do the hunter two damage, he also cancels punch, crucifix and all weapon cards. If I have it I always play it as my first card in the combat.

However, I generally feel that Dracula is not incentivised to fight or to pounce on the hunters as not only is it relatively tricky for Him to regain strength but it is also quite difficult for home to get away. Escape as a Bat card does allow him to relocate up to two cities away however this is not much when you consider the hunters will all have rail tickets. They can easily chase this down.

I think the only time Dracula would wish to pounce would be early in the game (ie not many items yet collected) and when a hunter is isolated from the others. However you still have the issue of slipping away into the ether, as it were. You need to be spawning vampires discreetly and this is hard to do if the hunters have been given an early heads up on your location through you revealing yourself to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.