Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a situation last night where I was on a destroyed Borg cube space and it was adjacent to a class M planet.

I know that you cannot engage in battle while on a destroyed Borg cube space, but can you interact with a class M planet (i.e., recruit Crew) while you are on this type of space?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is permitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Rankin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the tiles in front of me to look at to know if this is even a viable situation, but could you send an away team to a Class K/L planet, or "attack" a Class H planet? I can see the Class K/L planet being considered an attack, but the Class H planet might turn up a cyrstal->XP situation (which wouldn't really be an attack) or a fight of some form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you would not be able to explore Class K, L, and H Planets from a destroyed Borg Cube space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Andrew Parks wrote:
No, you would not be able to explore Class K, L, and H Planets from a destroyed Borg Cube space.

Andrew, thanks for participating here! Anyway, I think the only tile where this question would come up is Tile 7 (Borg Cube adjacent to a Class L Planet (DS)). Until I read your reply, I would've played it that you can explore the Class L on Tile 7 with an Away Team, per the rules on Page 15.

So should I consider reply as errata and add it to my rulebook? Or did you already include in the rulebook and I'm simply not finding it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is based on the fact that you can't attack from the space, and Away Missions can lead to battles. It's definitely ambiguous, so I hope my answer falls under "clarification."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Andrew Parks wrote:
...and Away Missions can lead to battles.

OK, this was the part I wasn't connecting. Great. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
Hello Andrew,

while i acknowledge your decision on the class-M planet interaction, i think it is not right. Excluding other planets from interaction should also exclude class-M because it can be decimated, leading to combat.

As it stands now you cannot interact with planets while inside borg cubes, except class-M. But you are only allowed to heal/recruit, not decimate. This adds a lot of "if-then-else" to the general "You can interact with planets if adjacent" rule. Hard to remember fringe rules do not make a better game. Imho the better approach would be to deny any interactions (attack or otherwise) with the outside world, once you are inside the cube.

Edit:
To add more fuel for thought: What happens if a class-H is next to the cube and an open challenge is displayed on the planet (discovered earlier in the game but could not be fulfilled)? Can i send an away team if i have the data to overcome the challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely keep it in mind as we clarify things going forward.

Regarding Class H, since the challenge is not considered an interaction, you would not be able to engage with it from the destroyed Borg Cube.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
Thank you Andrew.

The current rulebook does not mention any "combat/attack/fight" for the class-H challenge. So i would happily interact with an open challenge from inside the borg cube (only attacks are explicitly forbidden).

Looking forward to the errata/rules clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.