Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone through the geeklists, perused the forums, and I can't seem to narrow down a game I can buy for a friend's birthday coming up.

Therefore, I look to the BGG's experts to please make some suggestions. I was looking primarily for co-op games, but I was hoping that you can look at the list of games she owns and suggest some quality titles. At least, I'm hoping.

Here's a List of Some of the Games She Owns:
Lords of Waterdeep
Splendor
Munchkin (plus expansions)
Ticket to Ride
Epic Spell Wars
Big Book of Madness
Mice and Mystics
Takenoko
Dixit
Unspeakable Words
Forbidden Desert
Star Trek Catan
Dead of Winter (except she removes the Betrayal cards.)
Dominion (Base Game)

What She Likes:
Co-op games.
Light on conflict.
Games that make her laugh.
Marvel superheroes.
Fantasy themes.
Star Wars
Games that take less than 2 hours to play.

What She Doesn't Like:
Lots of conflict and heavy drama.
Betrayal
Great complexity (she likes to relax when playing, not stress out with a ton of rules.)
Game mechanics that allow for disrupting other players. (Munchkin being an exception.)
Great armies or heavy combat.

So, can you BGG'ers come up with some options for me to take to my FLGS?

Any sincere help would be appreciated. She is a good friend, and I would love to get her a game she would enjoy playing. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Vale. It is a bit like Splendor with a fantasy theme. A bit like Dominion. Not a coop, but since there is no direct conflict or interaction, players tend to cooperate just to have fun (from what I gather in forum posts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game? It can be played cooperatively too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - it's a co-op game without any combat, where the goal is saving people. And the difficulty scales so you can have a tense game or an easier time; it's up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Star Trek Panic

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

Tokaido
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Outside
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Legendary and Tokaido. Also, Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Legends of Andor is a nice co-op game. It has a great quick-start guide and doesn't take too long.

Witness is a great co-op, too. It has really simple rules and some great puzzles. But it needs exactly 4 players...

Well, and I'd like to mention Space Alert. It's really not that complex but it's a pain to learn the game if you don't have anyone in the group who already knows the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure she's not going to stumble across this thread?

Ghost Stories seems like a good option. It's very hard, but not actually very complex at all. Plus you're monks with swords fighting ghosts, so pretty cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Pastorius
United States
Great Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For lighter games that aren't coop, I would go with World's Fair 1893, Karuba, or Stone Age.

World's Fair 1893 has minimal conflict, Stone Age has a similar amount of conflict that Lords of Waterdeep has, and Karuba is for the most part a multi-player solitaire game (with bonuses for whoever completes journeys first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No Pandemic?
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 seems a good fit if she has a steady group, otherwise just Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse would fit the bill if there wasn't that much tracking to be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grizzled- an easy to learn coop with a WWI theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Lindsey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a co-op with light fantasy elements, how about Dead Men Tell No Tales? Essentially a Pandemic clone with some extra rules and a 'Pirate ship on fire OMG there are also skeletons too' theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshnh wrote:
What about Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game? It can be played cooperatively too.

This seems to meet the criteria very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Pe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes Dixit, she will love Mysterium.

It is also coop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Pandemic or Pandemic: The Cure which is like the little brother of Pandemic with dice.

As always :
Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
Smash Up

They're direct conflict games but they're very quick and very light hearted. I've played these a lot and I've never had anyone get upset over the direct conflict because they take so little time to play, that it getting eliminated from the game doesn't feel like a big deal, and it's not because in 10 minutes you'll start a new game and be back in.

The Grizzled

Full co-op, very quick, and very fun to play.

The Networks

Very sandbox and a lot of fun. Only problem is I'm not positive it's in retail distribution yet.

Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King

Hidden money game with a surprising amount of strategy.

EDIT: Ascension: Deckbuilding Game or any of its standalone expansions are excellent. Take about 30 minutes to an hour to play through. Sandbox-y and you attack the center board, not each other. It's like Magic lite. The winner is determined by Honor points which are awarded via cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Beckner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Castles of Mad King Ludwig to be a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights
I think this game could be a great pick. It sends everyone off on their own adventure so theres no real conflict but its also not really coop. It kinda felt like more of an activity than a game as its not all that serious or competitive. You go to a spot on the map, encounter a problem, pick from about 10 actions and see how it turns out. I can nearly guarantee this game but one problem is it might take longer than your 2 hours, its too random and one game I played there was 6 of us and plenty of us had very bad luck (I think I died twice) it took us a long time but we were playing quite relaxed. Defiantly a hang out game more than a competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
T.I.M.E Stories
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords - Base Set
Space Alert
Sentinels of the Multiverse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel up. This game is perfect for anyone that simply wants to have a silly good time. It's easy to learn, fast, conflict free and cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all the suggestions so far. You are all awesome. I am considering every suggested game. I forgot to mention that she does have Mysterium and the first Pandemic, so for those who recommended them, that was spot on. We have discussed Pandemic Legacy, so that is a definite option.

Also, for those who mentioned the Marvel Legendary game, that one is high on my mind, but I don't know if her gaming group are Marvel fans. As far as I know, you don't have to know much about Marvel beyond the movies to enjoy the game, but it does reward slightly deeper knowledge

negatrev wrote:
Are you sure she's not going to stumble across this thread?

Heh. Well, she knows about BGG from me, but she's not the obsessive I am. Perusing the forums wouldn't be her thing. If she ever came on here, it'd be to research a specific game she saw on Wil Wheaton's "Tabletop," or heard mentioned on a podcast. But, if she stumbled onto this thread, I think she'd be pleased that I went to the trouble, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Burgle Bros?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
key:
green = recommended
red = don't recommend
gray = neutral
(deleted game entry) = no comment

Lords of Waterdeep
+conflict is on the lower side, and it's not negative interaction
-could take longer than 2 hours with slower players

Splendor
+less than 2 hours, simple

Munchkin (plus expansions)
-betrayal, too long (it doesn't have to, but it can), betrayal
+The flavor text, art, and some of the cards are funny, but to me, it ain't worth it

Ticket to Ride
+playtime and lower conflict (even though it can feel nasty)

Dixit
+laugh, quick, has some fantasy elements

Forbidden Desert
+co-op, light, lower playtime

Star Trek Catan
-rare, but can go over 2 hours. Ahura can be nasty
+Still relatively short, and still not too complex. "The other Star Wars"

Dead of Winter (except she removes the Betrayal cards.)
+co-op in that case
-can run long

Dominion (Base Game)
+short, simple, and conflict is "euro level"
-Some of the attack cards can still feel nasty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.