5 Posts

Tides of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of dreamlands abilities. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, played this game quite a few times now, last night this question arose regarding the ability of dreamlands card, It's effect is. this card has a wild suit, additionally take one madness token from the opponent. Now I'm wondering, when are you supposed to name the suit? As you play it or in the scoring phase? As in the scoring phase you can basically look at what your opponent has, then choose the suit knowing then which suit will benefit you more. Also when do you take the madness token from your opponent? We had this situation last night. I had the dreamlands card, in the scoring phase I could see that if I named it the outerworld suit it would give me majority in that type for 7vp. Then I took a token off the other player. However, they had the card (can't remember what it's called now) that scores them 1vp for each token they have, they now have 1 less because of my dreamlands ability. Then it made me wonder who is suppose to score their cards 1st? Because if they scored there's before I scored mine then they would of got an extra point for that token that I took off them? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All your questions are answered in the rules. See p.2 of the rules, Cards section, 18. Dreamlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After checking for most madness for the round (and using its benefit), take a madness from your opponent. Then pick a suit for Dreamlands and score the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional question here:

When does the 9 madness end game trigger? In the first game I played, I had 9 token, my son had 8, but had the Dreamlands card. So do I lose because I had 9 at the end of the round, or does he lose because he'd steal one from me when evaluating his cards?

I think reading the rules that you do all the scoring and other stuff before evaluating whether you have 9 tokens. So in this case, I think my son would lose as I would only have 8 tokens and he'd have 9 after resolving Dreamlands - is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the scoring steps in the rules:

1. Take one Madness token for each card you have with the Madness icon.

2. If you received the most Madness this round, you may choose to gain 4 VP, or heal 1 Madness by discarding a token. In case of a tie, no player gets to choose.

3. Now, check each of your cards for their scoring objectives and write down your points on the notepad.

4. If you have 9 or more Madness, the game ends immediately and you lose.

5. If both players have 9 or more Madness, the game ends immediately with no winner.

The player with Dreamlands takes one Madness from his opponent after step #2.

The wild-suit benefit of Dreamlands applies in step #3.

The 9-Madness check applies at step #4.

In your example, the player with Dreamlands (who went from 8 to 9 Madness) would lose, while the other player (who went from 9 to 8 Madness) would not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.