2 Posts

Conquest of Paradise» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joonas Kekoni
Finland
flag msg tools
Some explored islands could come with local warriors and/or with malaria(which would be visible only after colonialisation)?

Also the board could be more balanced non historical one, perhaps with 3 players with islands close to each other in the middle, now the 2 players close to each other have disadvantage. Or players starting from side and open ocean in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
jkekoni wrote:
Some explored islands could come with local warriors

I've already incorporated this idea into the Solitaire Rules. You can find it here:

http://gmtgames.com/nnconqpar/COP_SOLITAIRE_RULES.pdf

(the counters for the Solitaire Rules are here):

http://gmtgames.com/nnconqpar/COP_SolitaireCounters.pdf

jkekoni wrote:
...and/or with malaria(which would be visible only after colonialisation)?

Well, malaria is only endemic in Melanesia, not Polynesia (nor Micronesia)- to this day. Anopheles mosquitos never made the jump to those islands. That said, I must admit that the Malaria rule in Conquest of Paradise doesn't come up much; players simply do not attack into Melanesia very often. So perhaps a very un-historic variant with Malaria in Polynesia might be a fun addition to the game.

jkekoni wrote:
Also the board could be more balanced non historical one, perhaps with 3 players with islands close to each other in the middle,

I suppose that this could work, but I very much prefer the historically correct start points, and think they work rather well.

jkekoni wrote:
...now the 2 players close to each other have disadvantage.

Do they? Others have posted (often quite emphatically) that Samoa and Tonga have an unbeatable advantage because they start with an economic advantage on their home islands, and are not as dependent on exploration, since they can invade Melanesia and Micronesia. Personally, I think that the disadvantage that you state and the advantages that I state perfectly balance each other out.

jkekoni wrote:
Or players starting from side and open ocean in the middle.

Sure, you can have the Polynesians coming from the west vs. the Peruvians (the discredited Thor Heyerdahl theory) coming from the east vs. the Inuit (what if they had expanded south instead of east?) coming from the north vs. I-don't-know-who coming from the south. Antarctic aliens?

Fun ideas; thanks for posting, Joonas!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.