5 Posts

Conquest of Paradise» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joonas Kekoni
Finland
flag msg tools
Some explored islands could come with local warriors and/or with malaria(which would be visible only after colonialisation)?

Also the board could be more balanced non historical one, perhaps with 3 players with islands close to each other in the middle, now the 2 players close to each other have disadvantage. Or players starting from side and open ocean in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
jkekoni wrote:
Some explored islands could come with local warriors

I've already incorporated this idea into the Solitaire Rules. You can find it here:

http://gmtgames.com/nnconqpar/COP_SOLITAIRE_RULES.pdf

(the counters for the Solitaire Rules are here):

http://gmtgames.com/nnconqpar/COP_SolitaireCounters.pdf

jkekoni wrote:
...and/or with malaria(which would be visible only after colonialisation)?

Well, malaria is only endemic in Melanesia, not Polynesia (nor Micronesia)- to this day. Anopheles mosquitos never made the jump to those islands. That said, I must admit that the Malaria rule in Conquest of Paradise doesn't come up much; players simply do not attack into Melanesia very often. So perhaps a very un-historic variant with Malaria in Polynesia might be a fun addition to the game.

jkekoni wrote:
Also the board could be more balanced non historical one, perhaps with 3 players with islands close to each other in the middle,

I suppose that this could work, but I very much prefer the historically correct start points, and think they work rather well.

jkekoni wrote:
...now the 2 players close to each other have disadvantage.

Do they? Others have posted (often quite emphatically) that Samoa and Tonga have an unbeatable advantage because they start with an economic advantage on their home islands, and are not as dependent on exploration, since they can invade Melanesia and Micronesia. Personally, I think that the disadvantage that you state and the advantages that I state perfectly balance each other out.

jkekoni wrote:
Or players starting from side and open ocean in the middle.

Sure, you can have the Polynesians coming from the west vs. the Peruvians (the discredited Thor Heyerdahl theory) coming from the east vs. the Inuit (what if they had expanded south instead of east?) coming from the north vs. I-don't-know-who coming from the south. Antarctic aliens?

Fun ideas; thanks for posting, Joonas!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas Kekoni
Finland
flag msg tools
Having a few L/M in the ocean counters would make it easy to test without having extra throws of dice and such. Really different setup would require printing different board and cutting all new island counters, as combining existent and new ones may not work that well.

Quote:
Others have posted (often quite emphatically) that Samoa and Tonga have an unbeatable advantage because they start with an economic advantage on their home islands

Niuve just tends to win 3 players game.

It does indeed start weaker, but can make an empire out of reach.

I think this is due to Tonga vs Samoa warfare.

Last game, I kind of made a promise to myself not to do this, but the other player attacked to FIJI with 7 troops and 5 of them was KIA giving an opening too hard to resist.

In general attacks to Melanesia tend to leave an opening ... or assumption of one.

Most of the game have been with new players, so more experienced players may be more able to balance this. This is also due to the fact that the game tend to end 1 to 2 rounds before anticipated (by not winning players). Experience does help with this too.

4 players game feels more balanced, but I have played too little this way. Anyhow my favorite.

Quote:
Thor Heyerdahl theory

The theory about conquest from south America has made a limited comeback.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_trans-oceanic_co...

Geneticist Erik Thorsby(NO) has published about evidence of Amerindian genetic contribution to the Easter Island population, that was probably introduced before European discovery of it.

... game wise this could be a later starting faction with lower goal and 2 point for transport dugout and 4 for war dugout ... before contact to others. (Feels like bad idea, but decided to write anyway.) It could start with Ipomoea Batatas(Kumaru?).

Quote:

Solitaire

I do not like manual bots(board games are about people), so I just skimmed trough that, and did not notice. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
jkekoni wrote:
Having a few L/M in the ocean counters would make it easy to test without having extra throws of dice and such.

I don't follow this; what is "L/M" an abbreviation for?

jkekoni wrote:
Really different setup would require printing different board and cutting all new island counters,

Hmmm, not really. You could start with all tiles: Hiva, Raiatea, and maybe a hand-made Samoa and Tonga, with reduced values to match Hiva and Raiatea. Cluster all four in the middle of the explorable area, all adjacent to each other. The printed hexes for Samoa and Tonga would be treated as explorable hexes. Just a thought...

jkekoni wrote:
...as combining existent and new ones may not work that well.

True, not for the tiles you draw randomly. But hand-made tiles could work for some at-start island groups.

jkekoni wrote:
...but can make an empire out of reach.

It is up to the Samoan and/or Tongan players to make sure this doesn't happen! Explore out towards Hiva, and then build a Transport Canoe Chain towards it. It doesn't take too much effort to get within 2-hex attack range!

jkekoni wrote:
I think this is due to Tonga vs Samoa warfare.

Personally, I attack whoever is winning- not necessarily my neighbor!

jkekoni wrote:
In general attacks to Melanesia tend to leave an opening ... or assumption of one.

When attacking into Melanesia, make sure you take a Transport Canoe with you, and stay connected on your Transport Canoe Chain! This allows you to instantly react to any aggression by your neighbors- you can Transit straight to any threat. Make sure you neighbor knows that you will unleash your successful warriors on HIM if he attacks you!

jkekoni wrote:
...the game tend to end 1 to 2 rounds before anticipated (by not winning players).

This is, of course, quite intentional.

jkekoni wrote:
The theory about conquest from south America has made a limited comeback.

Ah, you Scandinavians do like your Thor Heyerdahl theories!

jkekoni wrote:
Geneticist Erik Thorsby has published about evidence of Amerindian genetic contribution to the Easter Island population, that was probably introduced before European discovery of it.

Studying the native population on Easter Island is very difficult. They were nearly wiped out in the 1800's, and many people from the mainland came to the island at that time. It's hard to identify purely "native" people. And Hispanics from South America contain a portion of Native American heritage. That said, I think any evidence of early Native American DNA in the Easter Island population has one obvious answer: when Polynesian navigators returned to Easter Island with kumara (sweet potatoes), they also brought back some women!

jkekoni wrote:
...game wise this could be a later starting faction with lower goal and 2 point for transport dugout and 4 for war dugout ... before contact to others. (Feels like bad idea, but decided to write anyway.)

Worth a try...

jkekoni wrote:
I do not like manual bots(board games are about people)...

I don't like "bots" either! (By "bot" I mean a set of rules and tables that completely take the place of one or more players.) So instead, the solitaire rules for CoP create just the face of one (or maybe more!) player(s) who compete with you. But I prefer to play with real people, too- and the more, the merrier!

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas Kekoni
Finland
flag msg tools
M island with endemic malaria (1/6)
L island with local warriors (amount equal to green boxes?)
(Both of these apply only if the island is not an atol.)

"Scandinavians"
You mean Norwegians, we Scandinavians do not have much of shared identity, (The countries are often grouped together in US for some reason)
despite similar cultures etc and that everyone, but 90% of Finns speak a dialect of Swedish.

Quote:

..native population on Easter Island is very difficult..

Yep...
Quote:

returned to Easter Island with kumara (sweet potatoes), they also brought back some women!

MT-DNA is inherited only on maternal line, that being said, it is possible that some men came along as well, so genetics cannot say definetely if that was due to conquest form SA or by people that came with navigators. (Thinking about Hms Bounty, but kidnapping by trickery does not sound so feasible with double canoes.)

There is some evidence that Rapa Nui had 2 distinct group before the disaster. If these were tribes or ethnic ones is something we are likely newer going to know for sure.

Quote:
Worth a try...

I assume non equal factions may require more play testing to get them balanced, that I and more specially the people I play with are willing to put.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.