Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Dominion as NPC Allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Lastname
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Listening to what the devs had to say about the Dominion it sounds like they won't be the same as the Borg. I suspect they won't be a playable faction but they will be ally cards you can chose to take at some cost. Maybe giving up a chance at a culture victory? You might be able to buy Dominion ships. It may also be an allied victory for either the Dominion team and the non Dominion team. An alt victory condition. Just some speculation, but that's kinda how they operated in the show. Maybe you'll be able to buy Dominion tech too, like Shapeshifter Infiltrators. Other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no idea how they will play out.
i expect there will be a wormhole opening in a particular system and perhaps allow travel to the other side, with every few turns dominion ships pouring forth.

you might indeed make temporary alliance with them but at a big cost, say having your homeworld occupied by dominion ships and paying tribute to them.
then you could perhaps direct the dominion ships against other players in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marshall
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Even though the Dominion were based in the Gamma Quadrant in DS9, I would love to see them as a fully playable faction of their own (perhaps with Deep Space 9 and the Bajoran Wormhole as a major strategic point on the map), along with the Breen. Star Trek: Ascendancy is a 4X Civ game and looks to provide a fun experience based on that premise, but even though there's a combat element it's more of an "every player for themselves" kind of feel.

With the Dominion on the other hand, the game could be expanded/altered to take on a new dimension: alliances (even if alliances of convenience). Players could amass fleets and work together against common "enemies" to protect vital systems and potential gateways into their territory, just as the Federation/Klingon/Romulan alliance did against the Dominion, Cardassians, and Breen on the show.

Would such an approach mess with the 4X formula too much? Perhaps, but then again it could offer a different approach for playing Star Trek: Ascendancy and utilizing its freeform maps and space lanes. Look at how the Chin'toka system featured so prominently during the Dominion War as a gateway into Dominion/Cardassian territory, for example. Such a radically different way to play the game might even give GF9 the incentive to make more varied ship classes to represent the members of fleets and give players the ability to tailor their strengths for various missions. Massive Jem 'Hadar Battleships and Cruisers would provide devastating firepower for the Dominion, while their smaller Attack Ships might utilize the infamous kamikaze-style attacks they employed in the show to take out opponents' vessels and demoralize their forces.

I realize that such a wildly different take on Star Trek: Ascendancy's current design is probably asking too much, but one thing I haven't so far seen suitably explored (ST: Tactics and ST: Attack Wing notwithstanding as they're geared for smaller scale tactical battles) is a truly grand scale military take on the franchise in tabletop form. It'd certainly make for a potentially interesting "mod" to this game, at the very least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm not really sure how the concept of NPC factions is going to play out period though I'm intrigued by the idea.

Another cool thing about the Dominion was that they excelled in infiltration, sabotage and espionage. Changelings regularly impersonated leaders and wreaked all kinds of havoc. I hope that is represented in the game as well.

I still vote for making them a fully playable faction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lastname
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I like the idea of an insidious faction that players can chose to be corrupted by, like the Cardassians and Breen were in DS9. The game can turn into a massive cold war or a Dominion War level conflict. Maybe there will be a special campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yeah, I still think that the potential for making it a fully playable faction is far too compelling to ignore.

Here are some ideas I had for the playable faction.

1. Domination victory only!

2. Instead of a home world, the dominion player starts out at the Bajoran wormhole. A random or fixed number of ships come through the wormhole every turn. The Dominion player can build additional ships at star bases as normal.

3. Ketracel White: To represent the dominion's dependence on drugs, the player has to spend production to maintain ships every turn. If the player can't pay the upkeep costs, those extra ships have to be destroyed. However the upkeep costs should be paid after combat for that turn has concluded.

4. I can't think of a unique ability that counts as an advantage.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G.
msg tools
Where is there Borg information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no information on any factions beyond the first five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Seratone wrote:
Yeah, I still think that the potential for making it a fully playable faction is far too compelling to ignore.

Here are some ideas I had for the playable faction.

1. Domination victory only!

2. Instead of a home world, the dominion player starts out at the Bajoran wormhole. A random or fixed number of ships come through the wormhole every turn. The Dominion player can build additional ships at star bases as normal.

3. Ketracel White: To represent the dominion's dependence on drugs, the player has to spend production to maintain ships every turn. If the player can't pay the upkeep costs, those extra ships have to be destroyed. However the upkeep costs should be paid after combat for that turn has concluded.

4. I can't think of a unique ability that counts as an advantage.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure of a unique ability but the tech ideas are flowing!
Maybe something about them getting extra resources from trade agreements? That would be helpful at the beginning of the game and then when you betray them you would have an advantage. It would be easy to counter though.

I thought about the wormhole starting point and the Ketracel White penalty as well!

Changling - copy any other player's tech in play for the round.
For the Founders - destory one of your ships to destory 2?-3? enemy ships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a few more thoughts;

-ketracel white: dominion ships not at a planet under their control must roll a d6 during maintenance, on 6 the ship is lost. if they lose control over the wormhole, its on 5,6 instead and regardless of location.

-dominion ships dont retreat from battle, a tech might allow retreats when exhausted

-dominion ships can reroll failed rolls.

-dominion big battleships cost 3 production, they roll 2 dice in combat and require 2 hits to be destroyed.

the gamma quadrant contains a few planets as well to be explored, with a seperate system stack and exploration deck. finding the founders homeplanet is the key to defeat them.

-first strike in invasions due to their personal cloaking tech, must exhaust tech to use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
a few more thoughts;

-ketracel white: dominion ships not at a planet under their control must roll a d6 during maintenance, on 6 the ship is lost. if they lose control over the wormhole, its on 5,6 instead and regardless of location.

-dominion ships dont retreat from battle, a tech might allow retreats when exhausted

-dominion ships can reroll failed rolls.

-dominion big battleships cost 3 production, they roll 2 dice in combat and require 2 hits to be destroyed.

the gamma quadrant contains a few planets as well to be explored, with a seperate system stack and exploration deck. finding the founders homeplanet is the key to defeat them.

-first strike in invasions due to their personal cloaking tech, must exhaust tech to use

I don't like the gamma quadrant idea because it gives the dominion a huge advantage. They can get a handful of systems and the wormhole creates a natural choke point. I can see how it could go both ways in a game, but I think it would be adventagous more often than detrimental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think it's probably best to try and keep the concepts general right now.

So here's my response to the other ideas.

-Ketracel White: Some kind of upkeep penalty on ships should apply here.

-Home world: I still like the idea of making the wormhole the starting home world. Gamma quadrant could easily get too complicated.

-Unique ability: Gain culture when you successfully launch a planetary invasion against another player.

-Other feature: I would recommend just having all of their ships start with one upgrade of shields and weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.