Subject: A lot of randomness and little strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at all the cards and stretch goals on the KS page and I wondered how much strategy is still involved with so many different powerful cards. You basically have no idea what your opponents is having and the outcome of the game seems to be very dependent on luck.

Am I the only one feeling that way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
badge
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game has a bit more luck than other games but to be honest I like this. It's nice to have a game where you don't have to fully think for 100% of the time. The theme looks great along with the quality of the pieces and artwork.

its also reasonably priced. With many cards games like this there is always an element of luck as you are drawing cards blindly. The flipside is you can see some of the discard pile and can pick cards back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy does not guarantee fun.

Games can be very enjoyable without offering some serious strategy.

Love Letter comes to my mind.

Others are a simple waste of time IMO, e.g. Munchkin.

It is difficult to evaluate these games without playing them with your regular gaming buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Tremblay
Canada
L'Ancienne-Lorette
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
You basically have no idea what your opponents is having and the outcome of the game seems to be very dependent on luck.

However you know the type (color) of the remaining cards each one has in his hands as the cards are played, which seems to bring by itself interesting information to help develop strategies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

Am I the only one feeling that way?

I'm sure you're not, but this is ultimately a "I like X/I don't like X" sort of thing. Whatever reasons you have for feeling one way, somebody else uses those same reasons for feeling the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.