30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » General

Subject: Do you plan to buy/chase down every card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Notetleirs
msg tools
A lot of the talk here is all about how much it’s going to take to get every card/dice of each release. How much money, how much time, how many boxes of booster packs… The inevitable conclusion is that SW Destiny is incredibly expensive where the discussion changes to if it really is that bad and if it’s worth it. “My cousin spends X amount of money on his bike. I don’t see how that’s different from spending same X amount of money on a CCG”.

This is not how I plan to play personally. Perhaps it’s naïve to that that eventually I won’t try to get every card after a while but I honestly think it’s crazy that so many people here seem to have that mindset right away.

Even in Magic TCG most players don’t bother getting every card for each release cycle. People sometimes spend a lot of money in Magic for buying cards to construct a good deck but I don’t know of anyone who’s trying to collect everything.

I don’t have any real experience playing CCGs but is it really that crazy to buy starters, buy a bunch of boosters, and just build a good deck based on that to play a bit competitively in a FLGS? Or is collecting every card the only real way to play as soon as you utter the word “competitively”?

For me personally, trying to get every card, seeing how every month you spend so much on a card game, is a guaranteed way to ruin the game for me. So I hope I can play the game in public without being a “whale” to FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guys who I plan to play with locally aren't so competitive that they will be buying boxes and boxes of this. For myself, an initial purchase of 1ea starter and maybe a box will certainly scratch the itch and provide enough variety to have fun.

I love die games, but loathe the super-competitive nature of some folk. I play to have fun, and having 4 of everything and playing super-tuned decks is a sure way to ruin the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
and having 4 of everything and playing super-tuned decks is a sure way to ruin the game for me.

Just a quick note, deck maxes are 2 in this game so getting playsets of most cards should be sort of easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is good, yes. I loved the thrill of chasing down every card for my favorite game, Star Wars Customizable Card Game, when it was being produced. I mostly played with friends and family, but I still wanted to have a complete collection of cards to choose from. Even though I currently collect cards for Magic: The Gathering, it isn't as satisfying, or exciting, as it was for that game (the world of Star Wars is just so much more appealing to me). If this new Destiny game is as fantastic as I thought the old Decipher Star Wars game was, I'll be thrilled to try and acquire every card/die the game has to offer.

Now, there have been plenty of Star Wars collectible games that just weren't good and, without an excellent game behind it, I didn't need/want to collect the cards/pieces just because they were Star Wars. So, this new Destiny game must first be fun and enjoyable. If so though, I can't wait to try and capture some of the magic that Star Wars CCG brought to my life. In fact, if I like this game near as much as I do the Star Wars CCG, I'd be happy to cut off all my other game related purchases and devote all my hobby money to support just this one!

Here's hoping this game will be a good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
People are talking about getting all of the cards because it's not going to be much more expensive than just getting the good cards. People who play Magic don't care about collecting full sets, they care about making decks. Once you've bought a good deck or two, buying the rest of the cards is pointless, since 80-90% of Magic cards are not fit for competitive constructed play (they are made for Limited play, to help sell packs).

Because of the 2-card limit in Destiny deckbuilding, it's not going to take much to get all of the good cards. And once you have those, with so few cards in the set overall, why not spend the extra 10-20 dollars to get everything?

If this game is any good, and my friends will play it with me, I'm planning on being a completionist. Now, if they start releasing 300 card sets 4 times a year, that tune will change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the chances that we avoid a thread for this game that devolves into an argument on "blind buy," "pay to win," "collectible is bad" etc.?

We can hope it doesn't happen this time, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
What are the chances that we avoid a thread for this game that devolves into an argument on "blind buy," "pay to win," "collectible is bad" etc.?

We can hope it doesn't happen this time, right?

Welcome to the party, pal.
We've already been having these discussions going on a couple of weeks now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trisciuzzi
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really plan to collect all the cards. If it happens along the way, cool. But I'm going to focus more on building specific decks. Each new cycle will probably lead to more purchases for variety sake. I'll probably hold onto at least one copy of each card I pick up.

I've played the SW LCG game FFG put out and while I like it:
1. It's prohibitively expensive for me to grab every expansion at this point.
2. It's a little more complicated which makes it harder to bring out and teach new people. I wouldn't call it a casual game.

I'm not a fan of the collectible model in general but I'm realizing the difference (for me anyway) is that it probably will just mean I'll spend less per purchase but buy more often. The 2 card limit per deck helps me in this respect anyway. I'll just keep cards that fit my style and trade away for ones I want. In a way I feel less compelled to collect every card BECAUSE of the collectible nature. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter how cheap it is to complete a set, the original trilogy heroes will always command top dollar. Characters being key in this game will drive desire, Original Trilogy will drive desire, and if they are decent at all that will also contribute. Something like Luke, Leia, Vader, I can see remaining as the most sought after, and that will control the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Stealth7 wrote:
and having 4 of everything and playing super-tuned decks is a sure way to ruin the game for me.

Just a quick note, deck maxes are 2 in this game so getting playsets of most cards should be sort of easy.

Yup, just used 4 as an example, as most every other game out there uses 4 each as their max. 2 each for this is definitely appreciated from FFG. Now, about that 2nd Finn die...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vick
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I look at it like this: I plan to PLAY this game. I will pick up the cards / dice that I feel are necessary to build playable, competitive decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Accident Gamer
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I think the exception to the 2 card rule is non unique characters since they aren't part of the deck. If there is a 6 point character, it may be a strategy to field 5 of them. Nightsister Swarm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
Darksbane wrote:
Stealth7 wrote:

Yup, just used 4 as an example, as most every other game out there uses 4 each as their max. 2 each for this is definitely appreciated from FFG. Now, about that 2nd Finn die...

You also have the option of shooting for 4 copies of each card so that you and a buddy can each have a full playset from which to build decks if they come over and don't have their own collection.

Personally, I'm not going to shoot for a full playset or even a complete collection. Sure, it looks doable now, but once the expansion sets start coming out, it's going to get really tough really fast. I just plan on building a few fun decks and getting some draft/sealed play in from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vick
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Acc1dent wrote:
I think the exception to the 2 card rule is non unique characters since they aren't part of the deck. If there is a 6 point character, it may be a strategy to field 5 of them. Nightsister Swarm!

Except you have to burn an action to activate each one, so you may be playing from behind by the time you get everyone rolled onto the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trisciuzzi
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clique84 wrote:
Acc1dent wrote:

Except you have to burn an action to activate each one, so you may be playing from behind by the time you get everyone rolled onto the field.

That's a good point. I also think they would be vulnerable to higher damage attacks. Less points should mean weaker stats and dice.

But I can still see how having 4 or 5 dice out on turn one could be advantageous. Could "Alpha" strike a 2 character build. Especially if they run 1 expensive, 1 cheap build. And going after the other player passes might prevent them from responding when you start spending dice. You probably won't ever claim the battlefield, however. Time will tell how big a trade off that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, I'd like to get at least one of every card/die. I'll probably buy one Gravity Feed and maybe secondary market the rest. I'm assuming of course that someplace like CSI will be putting up singles.

As stated before, this ideal may change depending on the frequency of releases. I know it became untenable for Dice Masters after the 3rd expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Seger
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
To play competetively, you don't have to own every card. Pro players build decks first, then buy the cards they need for that deck as singles on the secondary market.

I will buy a starter and a few boosters. If I like it, I might be buying some more. Mainly, I want to play Draft and Sealed, if FFG supports those format, which is what I really hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Unger
msg tools
I pre ordered 2x of each starter, and 2 booster boxes. after that ill just secondary market the cards i need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Desforges
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So from the leaked spoiler list (http://imgur.com/yDT21ir) the first set has 58 commons, 42 uncommons, 44 rares, 17 legendaries. Someone from Gencon got verbal confirmation that packs have a legendary 1/6th of the time. And we know the boosters contain 1 rare/legendary, 1 uncommon and 3 commons.
So to get a playset of legendaries the minimum number of boosters to open is 204. So that's a little bit less than 6 boxes but it's nearly impossible you'll have opened exactly two of each legendary. What you would have for sure is 34 legendaries, 180 rares, 216 uncommons and 648 commons. Because the fewer number of cards you're missing the less likely you are to open the card that you're missing, it could take way more boxes to get a play set of each legendary. Unless the distribution in boxes isn't actually random and follows a set printing run. In that case if you're able to buy boxes in cases and the cases contain 6 boxes then you would be guaranteed a playset of legendaries.
And finally the greys only come from starters, to get a playset of those you need to buy two of each starter.

But really I'm writing this to try to discourage people from trying to complete playsets by opening packs. Open some packs for fun but turn to the secondary market and trading to get the specific cards you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
KerenskyTheRed wrote:
clique84 wrote:
Acc1dent wrote:

That's a good point. I also think they would be vulnerable to higher damage attacks. Less points should mean weaker stats and dice.

But I can still see how having 4 or 5 dice out on turn one could be advantageous. Could "Alpha" strike a 2 character build. Especially if they run 1 expensive, 1 cheap build. And going after the other player passes might prevent them from responding when you start spending dice. You probably won't ever claim the battlefield, however. Time will tell how big a trade off that is.

It's probably worth mentioning as well that 2-character deck is limited to 6 upgrades overall in play, so you have to compensate (possibly, maybe) with events and supports - and each of them takes a separate action to play/activate.

Too early to tell, but the more viable deck builds, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find the FFG LCG model more expensive/dissatisfying than collecible boosters. Having to buy the same set twice, with absolutely nothing new whatsoever to be competetive, there is zero fun in that.
With random boosters I will get the second card eventually and some other cards I didn't have before, likely without spending as much as for the 2 LCG sets. Even if I end up spending more, the process getting there is much more fun with the CCG model for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Personally I find the FFG LCG model more expensive/dissatisfying than collecible boosters. Having to buy the same set twice, with absolutely nothing new whatsoever to be competetive, there is zero fun in that.
With random boosters I will get the second card eventually and some other cards I didn't have before, likely without spending as much as for the 2 LCG sets. Even if I end up spending more, the process getting there is much more fun with the CCG model for me.

An LCG more expensive than a CCG???
Can you please recommend to me a CCG that cost less than $120 (retail) to put together a playset. No dead CCGs please. I would like to try it and for that price I may be able to get a couple friends interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Desforges
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
The Jakster wrote:

Can you please recommend to me a CCG that cost less than $120 (retail) to put together a playset. No dead CCGs please. I would like to try it and for that price I may be able to get a couple friends interested.

He means CCGs are cheaper to play, not cheaper to own a whole playset. In a LCG the price of entry to start deckbuilding is high. In a CCG you can buy one starter and a couple of cheap singles and you get to customize a deck at a lower cost than the cost of buying one LCG core set.
I'm not sure why, but often the best cards for aggro decks are commons and uncommons so it's often the cheapest to play those decks. And they do well against greedy control decks with too many high cost rares and die before they have time to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firgus wrote:
roborob wrote:
The Jakster wrote:

He means CCGs are cheaper to play, not cheaper to own a whole playset. In a LCG the price of entry to start deckbuilding is high. In a CCG you can buy one starter and a couple of cheap singles and you get to customize a deck at a lower cost than the cost of buying one LCG core set.
I'm not sure why, but often the best cards for aggro decks are commons and uncommons so it's often the cheapest to play those decks. And they do well against greedy control decks with too many high cost rares and die before they have time to play them.

That's fine but I cannot comment on what he meant, only what he wrote. He even mentioned the possibility that it may cost more, but for him it would be more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Ortiz
Puerto Rico
Dorado
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
The Jakster wrote:

It all depends. Running one deck and buying the singles you need will probably cost you way less than any LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.