United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to this (and any other) board, so I don't know if anything like this has been previously suggested, but here goes-

The new role (perhaps named Pirate) would do the following:

Player MUST destoy one of his or her own buildings or plantations.

This introduces the possibility of trading land for cash, and I suppose it would make the hacienda more valuable. It presumably would not tend to be chosen until a couple of doubloons had accumulated. Consider banning application to "free" buildings like small indigo plant.

Variants:
1 - All players must destroy something. (this would alter the game more dramatically, & I would lift the proposed ban on small indigo etc.)
2 - allow other players to raze something (for a price?)
3 - allow the player choosing the role to also destroy somebody else's building or plantation (possibly for a price - maybe something of equal or lesser value)

I'm interested to hear positive or derisive feedback or suggested improvements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Idea for new role in PR
samlamiam (#23411),

Ah, I forgot to mention that you have to choose what to do with people on razed properties -

A - to San Juan
B - to heaven
C - to the next person who chooses Pirate

I would probably go with "A", though "B" could make variant 3 quite wicked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Campbell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
samlamiam (#23411),

Since the game on its own is very interesting, tinkering with PR is a very interesting idea. The ability to destroy things is a very radical change to what is otherwise an entirely constructive game. The Black Market from the PR expansion offers a chance to experiment with burning items for cash.

In general, adjusting the fundraising environment in the game, especially by allowing the sale of items which arrive at little or no cost in the first few turns, will tend to throw off game balance. Keep in mind that ending turn 2 with 2 more doubloons earned/spent then anyone else will usually mean that one has taken a sizable lead in the game. Introducing a means of selling something of little value (like an indigo plantation) for even a nominal amount of cash (like 2 doubloons) could make the game unfair.

That said, there are many people tinkering with PR and having fun with that. Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gische
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I missed it, but what does the player get for destroying one of his own buildings? You insinuated that there was money involved, but gave no details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gische (#23448),

The basic rule (just destroying one of your own buildings) will just give you the doubloons that will have accumulated on the role due to the fact that nobody has chosen it. Basically, as people ignore the role, it gains doubloons to make it more and more tempting despite the loss of a building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimc (#23425),

I agree with your comments in general, but I think my proposal avoids the pitfall you discuss: No player would be able to raise much cash via the Pirate at the beginning of the game because the cash would have to accumulate first (as Mr. Chen observed).
Mathematically, the introduction of the pirate would add only 1 doubloon per round (starting round 2). If that is too radical a monetary change, you could eliminate the prospector for balance (and added chaos), (or have the pirate be a prospector in round one, and pirate thereafter).
In the second round a player could earn only 1 doubloon for his indigo plant. The benefits of that decision are questionable, since 1 doubloon is available to most (or all) players in the second round even without the loss of a plantation. 2 doubloons in round three could be tempting, but it comes with an opportunity cost. It adds another need for preemptive tactics - if $3 would break the game, would one player in round 3 raze his own plantation just to keep 3 doubloons away from his enemy in round 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicolle
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam (#23499),

I've been thinking about New Roles as well. Partially because I've been wondering how to expand PR to 6 players which would probably require another role (or at least a 3rd prospector). As mentioned above, this role could potentially replace a prospector in a 4 or 5 player game. I was thinking of some type of minor doubloon -> VP conversion. I'm pretty sure the King would like money in addition to goods... Something like:

Tax Collector:
All Players must give up 1 doubloon if you have any. Players have the choice to pay a second doubloon for 1 VP.
Priviledge: Get 1 extra VP if you send 1 or 2 doubloons.

Or

Treasurer:
All Players can get 1 VP for each 2 doubloons sent (maximum?)
Priviledge: 1 extra VP if you send 2 or more doubloons.

I suspect there might be a few interesting tactical reasons to pick up the Tax Collector. Since the Treasurer isn't aggresive towards other players it wouldn't change the game as much but it might still be interesting in the end game when Builder is already taken, or all the buildings you can make are taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
philni (#34026),

One new role I occassionally play - replaces 2nd prospector in a 5player game. You could play in with less than 5, but then you get the problem of too many unpicked roles (4 rather than 3) so have to come up with a rule for playing the dubloons at the end of the turn.

Anyway the role:

Politician
Duplicates a role already selected this round - but with no bonus.

So (for example) if you pick the Politician to act as a trader, everyone can trade, but you won't get the extra +1 dubloon. If you pick the Politician to be a craftsman everyone produces, but you won't get the bonus barrel.

Certainly changes the game, as it's possible to get 2 building actions (builder, then politician) or 2 shipping etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.