Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Im in China and all the core sets and arena core sets are overseas orders only (expensive, month long wait)

what I can get is EVERY tome and expansion set for arena, and the academy base set and the academy expansions

Do I need the core sets? Is that the only way to get the board? Can I just get an expansion and get the core set card sets

Or should I just say forget all that and play academy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS, they also have the base set in chinese + the core expansions so that may be a way to go to get the board though quite expensive (but half the price of ordering overseas) and the cards would be unusable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd totally forget academy. It's a totally different game with mostly the same rules.

You absolutely need one core set to get the game board, status boards, all the condition markers, the custom dice, mage profile cards a rulebook and some spellbooks. After that, you could definitely subsitute spelltomes for additional core sets.

A (better) rollmat version of the board is available separately, and you can download the rules, but the rest you need from the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks. how does the core spell tome work? can I get one pack of those that will give me an english copy of all the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brett
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to give the other side of the coin; I totally love Academy - still set in the a as universe, uses same core rules, just scaled down to play in a fast 30min. Of course some people prefer the 2hrs+ of Arena, which does other far more strategy than Academy. Depends what you can get to the table and what other people are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
thanks. how does the core spell tome work? can I get one pack of those that will give me an english copy of all the cards

No, neither Spell Tome gives you all the cards. 2x Spell Tome 1 and 1x Spell Tome 2 gives you a very close approximation to a core set's worth of cards. You have a few more of some, a few less of others - there is an evaluation here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think Academy is a great game and that you may want to give it a try, but agree that they are very different. Academy is a CCG and Arena is a tactical skirmish game.

If you can't find the Arena Core Set but can find all the other products, you might be able to make it work, but I doubt it would be cheaper. Battlegrounds Domination gives you a modular board, then you would also need to buy the premium Status Boards, premium Attack Dice, and the Action Marker sets sold by Arcane Wonders to have those available. You'll still be short on Condition Markers, Damage Markers, Mana Markers, and such, but these can generally be substituted with dice and other counters or tokens. You can then get most of the cards from the Core Set by buying the Cores Spell Tome 1 and Core Spell Tome 2 expansions. You'll still be missing some cards, most notably the Mages, but it'll give you enough to work with and you can play as the expansion Mages.

I don't think this is a great plan, but I do think it is doable if it's what you want. Playing Academy for right now is my recommendation and hopefully some Arena Core sets will be available in the near future if you want to try it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Personally I'd totally forget academy. It's a totally different game with mostly the same rules.

You absolutely need one core set to get the game board, status boards, all the condition markers, the custom dice, mage profile cards a rulebook and some spellbooks. After that, you could definitely subsitute spelltomes for additional core sets.

A (better) rollmat version of the board is available separately, and you can download the rules, but the rest you need from the core set.

Academy cards can be used for Arena.

You do not need at all the core set:
- You could make a custom board (a grid of 3x4 that can fit about 6 cards in each zone).
- Conditions markers come with expansions too.
- There are dice in Academy core set (they are just smaller).
- You would just not have the 4 basic mages, but you would have all the expensions one you get.
- rulebook is downloadable online.
- spellbooks are not a requirement, just a commodity. You could sleeve the cards and hold that deck in your hand. Also, there are 2 expansions that come with spellbooks.

2 of each Spell Tomes would give you about the same amount of cards than the core set (some more, some less).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the insight guys I think Ill buy academy for now and just order the arena base set for the future. To buy all those core sets would be about the same price anyway.

Great replies just the feedback i was looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this post to be unhelpful and confusing to an OP not understanding the game, and not really answering what he asked. It's pretty much all true, but I'd be very unhappy with what I got if I went this route...

Wildhorn wrote:

Academy cards can be used for Arena.

Yes they can, but as an expansion like any other. He would still be missing the core set cards which are the most useful in the game.

Wildhorn wrote:

- You could make a custom board (a grid of 3x4 that can fit about 6 cards in each zone).

For that matter you could just draw or imagine it, but it's hardly the same!

Wildhorn wrote:

- Conditions markers come with expansions too.

Not all of them. Also considering his reason to not get a core set is to avoid cost, advising getting all the expansions instead to cobble the pieces together is MORE expensive...

Wildhorn wrote:

- There are dice in Academy core set (they are just smaller).

True, but he doesn't want all the expansions as yet, just the core game, and asking if he can substitute AN expansion for it.

Wildhorn wrote:

- You would just not have the 4 basic mages, but you would have all the expensions one you get.

Your 'just' is to me (and most) HUGE. These are 4 of the most solid well used mages in the game. Necromancer, Druid and Forcemaster are the only ones coming close and they are all a big deviation from a standard way of play.

Wildhorn wrote:

- rulebook is downloadable online.

Agreed, and already noted.

Wildhorn wrote:

- spellbooks are not a requirement, just a commodity. You could sleeve the cards and hold that deck in your hand. Also, there are 2 expansions that come with spellbooks.

Most players have answered all threads about Spellbooks saying they are integral to the feel of the game. Notably a very small minority dissent, but for most the Spellbooks are part of what makes it Mage Wars.

Wildhorn wrote:

2 of each Spell Tomes would give you about the same amount of cards than the core set (some more, some less).

Incorrect - 2 and 1 gives you almost the same, not 2 and 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR - If you want to play Arena or Academy you should pick up the core set for that game. It's the best jump in point.

The Mage Wars Arena Core Set was made to have everything you need to jump into Mage Wars Arena. It is the only place to get a status board, outside of downloading various apps. It is the only place that has the board, outside of the neoprene roll-up mats.

If you want to play Mage Wars Arena, then you should get a Core Set.

Now, they have mentioned that Mage Wars Academy has a lot of benefits and you could go that way. If Academy sounds like something you'd be interested in, get the Core Set for it. That's going to be less expensive for you to see if you enjoy the core concepts. If you decide you want to go forward to Arena, all of the Academy cards will help you in customizing your new spellbooks, so Academy is not a dead purchase. However, you will want an Arena Core Set if you want to play Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
Do I need the core sets? Is that the only way to get the board? Can I just get an expansion and get the core set card sets
I much prefer playing on the customizable board tiles in Mage Wars Arena: Battlegrounds Domination. I also prefer the Domination game mode over the standard Arena.

But I think without the core set, you'll have too few condition markers, lack several staple spells, and need to substitute the dice. Doable, but not recommended.

I don't care for Academy at all. It's not the same game, it's much more like MtG. But if you're a completionist, you'll eventually want it because the cards can also be used in Arena, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many players on BGG have the Arena Core Set available for trade. You may find one closer to China for faster delivery if you can arrange a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.