Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
It is simply not possible to simulate the English Civil War without, in some way, accounting for the regional nature of the war. The main field armies of both sides - Parliament's army based on London and the King's headquartered at Oxford - tended to operate in the central areas of the country. Two of the three most important battles of the war took place in the Midlands: Edgehill in Warwickshire, and Naseby in Northamptonshire. The war in the north was almost a separate affair for the first 18 months of the conflict: the armies of the Earl of Newcastle and the Fairfaxes largely fought across the fields and moors of Yorkshire. Meanwhile, Hopton and Waller battled it out in the southwest of the country.

Unhappy King Charles splits England into regions and relates this both to the recruiting of units and to the game's victory conditions. But I wanted to make "regionality" a more fundamental aspect of my game. I felt it important to take into account the reluctance of troops to operate far from their home. The London Trained Bands, which were often an important component of the Earl of Essex's army, could not be employed outside of London without the permission of the London Militia Committee. The Earl of Newcastle abandoned plans to march south in mid-1643 because large parts of his army did not want to leave Yorkshire while the Fairfaxes were still a threat.

My solution was to tie the vast majority of infantry and cavalry blocks to one of the five regions: the North, Wales, the Midlands, the South and the East. These blocks may not leave their home Region, unless chaperoned by an appropriate leader block - either a general Leader or the Regional Leader for their home Region - and must continue to stay with such a Leader until they return home. Furthermore, Regional blocks may not benefit from recruitment while outside of their home Region. The majority of recruitment takes place at the end of each year and this is also handled at a regional level - the more Areas that a player controls in a Region, the more that player may recruit within that Region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope you find a publisher, as I would love to see the fruits of all this thinking and designing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.