Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:41x [+] 504:419 [+] [View All]
Robert D
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Played world 419 last night and the following came up. If you deliver a good to a city that's not your own you pay 10% of value of that good to player/bank as appropriate. However the fight phase happens before the income phase. Does this mean I can deliver a good and the conquer the city to avoid paying the 10% tax or is the the ownership of the city in the truck movement phase what counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. https://504rules.github.io/#419
I think that since the income step refers to getting income for "each good delivered in Phase 3E," and paying the 10% "If the player delivers goods to a city without his settlements," it means that the state of the game during delivery is what matters, not the state of the game during income. From a simulation point of view, that's a bit of an odd result. Either income should be resolved during delivery, and combat after, or else if income actually isn't received until after combat is resolved, there is no need to pay a fee to the already-ousted former controller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The city will be contested when the delivery occurs. the fight is resolved after the delivery but before the income for the delivery is resolved. I would definitely rule that if you own the city after the fight is resolved that you don't have to pay the commission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I had decided that 419 was to be my next world. Now I'm more intrigued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert D
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Spielguy wrote:

My advice if you do if start upgrading your truck speed straight away. The movement penalties for each new enemies terrain you enter do bite. I didn't do this and did my usual 504 thing of buying residents and felt I was making slow progress. Also by having the lowest income you can manipulate turn order into having 2 consecutive turns. In a military game where residents are not in a hurry that can be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Ertikins wrote:
Spielguy wrote:

My advice if you do if start upgrading your truck speed straight away. The movement penalties for each new enemies terrain you enter do bite. I didn't do this and did my usual 504 thing of buying residents and felt I was making slow progress. Also by having the lowest income you can manipulate turn order into having 2 consecutive turns. In a military game where residents are not in a hurry that can be useful.

I will have to deliver that advice to my opponents also. Makes sense. I chose this world because xx9 was the only world position I hadn't played and I thought the juxtaposition of Pick Up and Deliver and Military was intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert D
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Spielguy wrote:
Ertikins wrote:
Spielguy wrote:

I will have to deliver that advice to my opponents also. Makes sense. I chose this world because xx9 was the only world position I hadn't played and I thought the juxtaposition of Pick Up and Deliver and Military was intriguing.

the only other xx9 i played so far was 679 as I likes the juxtaposition of trying to be diverse for roads but the having matching terrain for income. one play never sold a share in him self as he didn't want to lose an 1/8th of his points and came 3rd/4 and said after he wish he had done. Selling a share in yourself at the right time for maybe 60-80 income is like getting a whole extra go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert D
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
knaves wrote:
The city will be contested when the delivery occurs. the fight is resolved after the delivery but before the income for the delivery is resolved. I would definitely rule that if you own the city after the fight is resolved that you don't have to pay the commission.

I agree with this and above post that not paying the commission makes sense. Thematically why would you pay a tax to a city you've conquered. It's just the timing in the rules that niggles here. Also if a player receives money from another player delivering goods does that could to there income?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.