Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, >G announced that wave two will no longer be For Profit and Battle for Broken City. Instead, it will be a different set of characters, in the form of Prime War and Rise of the Ennead.

https://greaterthangames.com/content/announcing-prime-war

I'm not sure how I feel about the change. I've always wanted to love the system, and I was REALLY looking forward to what they originally had planned. The new theme for the expansions has me nonplussed.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Sounds like the game is struggling, and this re-jiggered 2nd wave might be its last shot:

Great Than Games wrote:
So, as you all know, we put a lot into Sentinel Tactics - creating mechanics, telling story, sculpting minis, running tournaments, live-streaming and more… Lots of stuff. We really wanted the game to pay off big, and we believed that it could. Unfortunately, it did not. Sentinel Tactics was not a failure, but it did not live up to expectations.

For Wave 2 of Sentinel Tactics to be a big hit, we need to make it as exciting as possible. So, for now, we’re postponing Battle for Broken City and For Profit in favor of a different set of characters and stories for Wave 2. For now. Our hope is that our plans for the New Wave 2 can be a huge hit and we can revisit Broken City and For Profit in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
All I want is an official co-op variant/scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djinniman wrote:

Yep - co-op would be brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the feb 2015 preorder that was supposed to be fulfilled be end of 15, and then in jan 16 said was going to take another year is going to be delayed much longer. They are offering refund which i am considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still on board. With all its flaws, I remain fond of Tactics... and I prefer a good quality product that's late to a timely, poorly executed one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
djinniman wrote:

Quote:
However, we are also putting new focus into scenario-based play, far different from the scenarios of Flame of Freedom and Uprising. Those plans are still in development, but rest assured that the scenario play will be strong and worthy of the Sentinel Comics brand.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djinniman wrote:

Me too! I really like the game alot. However, my game group doesn't usually like the 1vs.Many games. And if I play with my kids, I have to be the villain/s. I'd like to be the heroes too... Skirmish is okay... CO-OP would be brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped full into the Tactics line after demoing it at Pax East when it first went on Kickstater. When Broken City and For profit went up for pre order, man i couldn't wait. I thoroughly enjoy the game.
Setback, one of my favorites was going to be playable!

Now after a year and a half we finally have some direction where this is going. Even if its a huge disappointment. Though we do get Tempest as a playable character

I am seriously considering the refund. That being said, I think i will wait till we have more information about the new items. Will set 1 be compatible to the new mechanics of set 2? What do we as the "True Believers" get? What is the real time frame? Are they going to be comparable in what you get? For profit was going to be 12 new characters,three scenario books, etc. If there would be a price difference in items will we have to pay additional or get a refund if somehow they are cheaper (not going to be cheaper, cause when has any new product been cheaper than the previous).

Customer service side. Should GTG of sent out info to us pre order people seperatly, with an easier method of refund then "email us and we will see what we can do"? Yes.

Obviously these are just my opinions, but you were wondering about what others thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igneusmortia wrote:
Will set 1 be compatible to the new mechanics of set 2?

This is my big question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I sure hope this is backwards compatible b/c if not that is gonna suck! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the issue is, it will probably need some modifications to be compatible. But what? Will it be on the fly, meaning the only difference will be rules? Or will there be major changes to how the charcters work nesscessitating charachter card changes, and if so will there be an upgrade kit? Do I have to Pay for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
United States
Woodstock
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the State of Greater than Games panel at Gen Con, they stated that they will be making a compatibility kit so that all of the things from Tactics can be used in Prime War. They stated that this would be given to all of the people that kept their preorders, and it would be available to purchase for everyone else. I got the impression that this would only make older stuff usuable under the Prime Wars rules, but would not be backwards compatible to the older ruleset. Now that was not outright said, but from the statements made about moving in a new direction for the future, that was the impression I got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that answers some questions so thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
NthDoctor wrote:
At the State of Greater than Games panel at Gen Con, they stated that they will be making a compatibility kit so that all of the things from Tactics can be used in Prime War. They stated that this would be given to all of the people that kept their preorders, and it would be available to purchase for everyone else. I got the impression that this would only make older stuff usuable under the Prime Wars rules, but would not be backwards compatible to the older ruleset. Now that was not outright said, but from the statements made about moving in a new direction for the future, that was the impression I got.

I wonder if old scenarios will be updated, such as the extra poster maps that took forever to be released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I wonder if old scenarios will be updated, such as the extra poster maps that took forever to be released.

Good questions, they were supposed to have scenarios printed on, then said they didnt print them cause it would be to hard to read. So where are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
igneusmortia wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Good questions, they were supposed to have scenarios printed on, then said they didnt print them cause it would be to hard to read. So where are they?

Which is still irritating since the maps were already late, and then the other part of that purchase never materialized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Prime War will be compatible with Flame of Freedom+uprising. There is a plan to have a conversion pack if necessary.

I loved working on Broken City, and some of the characters were just brilliant. I hope Prime War does well enough for Pinion, Expat, Becky Blast and my favorite Hippocalypse to get their shot.

The map scenarios didn't work printed on the map. It looked bad. So they cut that from the map and then the scenarios had trouble and then the process that led to Broken City becoming Prime War happened and they got put to the back burner.

I know that it sucks, trust me. I also see the value in the process the game is going through. Hopefully Prime War will be the equivalent of what the enhanced edition did for the original game, and what Villains of the Multiverse did for the Vengeance format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
Prime War will be compatible with Flame of Freedom+uprising. There is a plan to have a conversion pack if necessary.

I loved working on Broken City, and some of the characters were just brilliant. I hope Prime War does well enough for Pinion, Expat, Becky Blast and my favorite Hippocalypse to get their shot.

The map scenarios didn't work printed on the map. It looked bad. So they cut that from the map and then the scenarios had trouble and then the process that led to Broken City becoming Prime War happened and they got put to the back burner.

I know that it sucks, trust me. I also see the value in the process the game is going through. Hopefully Prime War will be the equivalent of what the enhanced edition did for the original game, and what Villains of the Multiverse did for the Vengeance format.

Thanks for the info!! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Brown
msg tools
i have said it on their forums and i will say it again here. Their biggest fail right now is not giving a timeline to get prime war out or where they are at in this process. I am fine that they want to fix some stuff that is broken however i am not fine with the fact that I have just been told there stuff they want to fix but no rough estimate on how long can we expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed them sunday asking for more information, if they respond, I'll post answers on forums and here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt you'll get anything more concrete than what Paul posted here: https://greaterthangames.com/comment/151436#comment-151436

(Post from today, recommended reading.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
This update was a surprise when I received it in my inbox. Do we know anything more specific? What was understood to be the game's shortcomings? What core rules changes is Prime Wars making?

I kickstarted ST:TFOF and played it for a while. It did fall out of favor with my game group. Team skirmish to a number of K.O.s was fine, but I think whenever the scenarios turned into a positioning puzzle it sort of slowed the action down. That made people less eager to play the scenarios. No real new content in a while also slowed down enthusiasm. That was my experience anyway. Hadn't thought about the game in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
This update was a surprise when I received it in my inbox. Do we know anything more specific? What was understood to be the game's shortcomings? What core rules changes is Prime Wars making?

I kickstarted ST:TFOF and played it for a while. It did fall out of favor with my game group. Team skirmish to a number of K.O.s was fine, but I think whenever the scenarios turned into a positioning puzzle it sort of slowed the action down. That made people less eager to play the scenarios. No real new content in a while also slowed down enthusiasm. That was my experience anyway. Hadn't thought about the game in a while.

For us, the scenarios failed immediately. As there was no initial structure or guidance for the skirmish, we didn't get into the game.

I really liked the idea of the system, but a few rules were super-fiddly, and generally the lack of actual structure outside of scenarios killed this one. I thought for sure this would be revisited in an official capacity and it wasn't.

Expansions were announced, which I thought would address my concerns, and they turned into vapor. At this point, I'm going to guess another year (at least) will pass before a new core is ready. Honestly, unless they've been working on this new version for a while, it should probably take longer to ensure the highest confidence.

I just don't like the lack of any timeline, or even what we will be "rewarded" with for sticking in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they posted on the forum at greaterthangames, the new timeline is estimated august 2017 ( I doubt it), those that preordered in this product will get free the conversion kit, which they plan on charging 5-10 dollars, and we will get something that does not effect gameplay (read not rpomo, extra game content or anything else), that is all they have said, oh the usual bs about being loyal customers and how we are the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.