Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My local group enjoyed our first play, but also felt it was a bit hard to keep track of everything, especially if we begin to add some of the additional features. So, I drafted a play mat! I'd love any feedback on how to make this better and / or to better capture the rules. My goal was to capture everything you'd need for a simple duel up through actual co-op play, so I tried to pack it all in there. Right now it would print on 2 8 1/2 x 11 pages, in theory ... Once I have the content locked down I'll add some spice / art. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang dude!

Amazing job. I might have to steal this from you. Well laid out and definitely helps with the reminder text.

How are you liking the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:
My local group enjoyed our first play

Did this get shipped to you from the pre-order or did you pick this up from GenCon?

I am very excited for my copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks!! Please do steal it - I'd love to see what it looks like with your art and other tweaks. I'll also post my cleaned up version once I get around to it.

We really liked the game. I think one thing I'd warn other newbs is that we enjoyed the contested battles, and the unique spells quite a bit. So trying a free-for-all without adding spells was less exciting and didn't bring in the full potential of the game. As soon as we started adding that stuff back in, though, it was quite fun! Everyone looks forward to seeing what the co-op is like.

I also think it is pretty intuitive once it gets rolling, but especially with so many cards all over the table it was easy to forget order, or read someone's deactivated target as their intended target since folks laid things out however they wanted. With these mats, all those niggly details go away and we can focus on having fun!

And EVERYONE loves the art / theme, so I definitely wanna get some of that into the mat. Thanks again!

Joshua

ssgibson wrote:
Dang dude!

Amazing job. I might have to steal this from you. Well laid out and definitely helps with the reminder text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
jdanish wrote:
My local group enjoyed our first play

Did this get shipped to you from the pre-order or did you pick this up from GenCon?

I am very excited for my copy!

I snagged it at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:

Thanks!! Please do steal it - I'd love to see what it looks like with your art and other tweaks. I'll also post my cleaned up version once I get around to it.

We really liked the game. I think one thing I'd warn other newbs is that we enjoyed the contested battles, and the unique spells quite a bit. So trying a free-for-all without adding spells was less exciting and didn't bring in the full potential of the game. As soon as we started adding that stuff back in, though, it was quite fun! Everyone looks forward to seeing what the co-op is like.

I also think it is pretty intuitive once it gets rolling, but especially with so many cards all over the table it was easy to forget order, or read someone's deactivated target as their intended target since folks laid things out however they wanted. With these mats, all those niggly details go away and we can focus on having fun!

And EVERYONE loves the art / theme, so I definitely wanna get some of that into the mat. Thanks again!

Joshua

ssgibson wrote:
Dang dude!

Yeah totally. The basic elemental play is just a start. Items, archetypes and signatures are where it's at.

Thanks again for doing up the play mat! If I find some free time i'll pretty up your cleaner version

Oh, and I'm glad you like the art and theme !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here is a cleaner version as a pdf! play mat

I tried to match the feel of the official materials, though it was hard without actual art assets. Though I think the textures, etc., work OK.

If Stephen has time to swap some in, I think this will look pretty great!

Right now, this is sized for 22 x 8.5, but I am planning to print it on a plotter. If there is enough interest, I can make a modified version that splits more easily at the 11 inch point and could then be taped together or something. But I think it looks nicer as one long mat.

I also considered pre-coloring the target area and just printing 4 for my game group with different colors pre-selected since I rarely have more than 4. But... maybe later.

Any errors, etc., please don't hesitate to let me know! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:
OK, here is a cleaner version as a pdf! play mat

I tried to match the feel of the official materials, though it was hard without actual art assets. Though I think the textures, etc., work OK.

If Stephen has time to swap some in, I think this will look pretty great!

Right now, this is sized for 22 x 8.5, but I am planning to print it on a plotter. If there is enough interest, I can make a modified version that splits more easily at the 11 inch point and could then be taped together or something. But I think it looks nicer as one long mat.

I also considered pre-coloring the target area and just printing 4 for my game group with different colors pre-selected since I rarely have more than 4. But... maybe later.

Any errors, etc., please don't hesitate to let me know! Thanks!

Awesome man! Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.