Glenn Wilfong
United States
Odenville
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the rules it states,

" If an investigator in a monster’s space attempts to move out of the monster’s space voluntarily or perform any action other than the attack action or move action, that investigator must resolve an evade check against the monster in his space."

Is there a difference between move out and move action or am I just reading it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Performing a move action just gives you 2 spaces worth of movement to spend during your turn. A move action in and of itself doesn't actually move your figure.

Once you have performed a move action, you can then spend the movement it gives you to move during your turn. It's this that triggers an evade check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I think it might be related to the 'Push' action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may also be items or effects that give you movement outside of a move action that would trigger the evade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In MOM 1st edition, investigators are required to make an Evade Test against every monster in his/her space before moving or performing a non-attack action, and should the Evade Test fail, the monster may damage the investigator (equal to its damage value.)
I guess in MOM 2nd edition, everything is the same except that you are only required to make one Evade Test against the monster with the highest awareness rating. Is this the way it works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
In MOM 1st edition, investigators are required to make an Evade Test against every monster in his/her space before moving or performing a non-attack action, and should the Evade Test fail, the monster may damage the investigator (equal to its damage value.)
I guess in MOM 2nd edition, everything is the same except that you are only required to make one Evade Test against the monster with the highest awareness rating. Is this the way it works?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
askinmeh wrote:

" If an investigator in a monster’s space attempts to move out of the monster’s space voluntarily or perform any action other than the attack action or move action, that investigator must resolve an evade check against the monster in his space."

Is there a difference between move out and move action or am I just reading it wrong?

I agree that this wording sounds misleading. If you read it quickly, you'd conclude that the first part tells you you must make an evade check if you move, and the second part that you don't need an evade check if you move.

The second poster I believe has the correct interpretation though. I read the rule as:
"If on your turn you are sharing a space with a Monster and decide to take any other action than Combat, or a game effect allows you to move your investigator voluntarily out of a space containing a Monster (due, for example to your or another player's Investigator ability action or Card ability action), you MUST take an Evade check."

I think the confusion in wording comes from the differentiation between your Move Action, and a Move caused by any other voluntary game effect resulting in you moving voluntarily. Nonetheless, in both cases, you must make an evade check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

Yes, though there's something else that's different: in 1st Ed, you only had to make an evade test against each monster a maximum of once per round, but in 2nd Ed you have to make an evade test for every action you take while in a monster's space (regardless if you tested against it earlier in the round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just attributed that line to being poorly worded. The way I read it (not saying I am right, just how I interpret it)

"If you try to move out of your space while a monster is in it, you must do an evade check OR if you try to do any action besides attack... or move... cause we already addressed that... then you must do an evade check."

The only word that makes it worth differentiating is the fact it says "move voluntarily" meaning you choose the move action. As mentioned previously there are times when an effect (or someone else) forces you to move (when it isn't even your turn). In those circumstances you would not have to do an evasion check.

In the end, I just simplify it down to "When you are performing actions while there is a monster in your space, if you do ANYTHING other than attack, then you must do an evade check before proceeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Sinnabell
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
So a moveing action, where you enter a space with a monster,
interrupt by an attack-action (not killing the monster),
moveing out with my still open movepoint from my move action,
triggers one evade check - when i leave the space?

is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
impish1234 wrote:
So a moveing action, where you enter a space with a monster,
interrupt by an attack-action (not killing the monster),
moveing out with my still open movepoint from my move action,
triggers one evade check - when i leave the space?

is this right?

Sure, why not? Think beyond the rules, why would you thematically have to evade at any stage before disengaging from melee combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
When you are performing actions while there is a monster in your space, if you do ANYTHING other than attack, then you must do an evade check before proceeding.

This is exactly how I think of it in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
What about this.

2 investigators are in the same space as a monster.

1 investigator decides to "PUSH" the other investigator out of the space so either they can BOTH move out using the push action or the investigator pushing just wants to get the other investigator our of the space with the monster.

Do they BOTH have to perform an EVADE check?

I am assuming the PUSHER has to perform an EVADE check since that investigator is performing an action that is not an ATTACK action.
But does the pushed investigator have to EVADE as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sador42 wrote:

Do they BOTH have to perform an EVADE check?

I am assuming the PUSHER has to perform an EVADE check since that investigator is performing an action that is not an ATTACK action.
But does the pushed investigator have to EVADE as well?

The one being pushed wouldn't because they haven't voluntarily moved.

From the Rules Reference "An investigator that moves out of a monster's space involuntarily does not resolve an evade check."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
askinmeh wrote:

I wonder if this wording exists to future proof the game against items / abilities that can spend movement points for things other than actual movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
askinmeh wrote:

I wonder if this wording exists to future proof the game against items / abilities that can spend movement points for things other than actual movement?

No, it's just exactly what I described in my first post above. If evade checks triggered off of both move actions *and* actual movement, then if you started your turn in the same space as a monster and wanted to move away you would have to evade it twice; once to perform the move action and again to move out of the space. With the wording above, you only have to evade once, which is the intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.