5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Stealth skill card and evading rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Dear Arkham players,

I am new to the game and don`t know exactly how things go with the Stealth skill card:"Ehaust to re-roll an evade check".

I still do not understand what an evade check is useful for and what is the difference to sneaking. Before I want to fight a monster - does evading circumvent the horror check ? Hm, even after looking some Let´s plays on youtube I cannot see the logic.

Any help will be appreciated kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
When you move through (or end movement on) a space with a monster, you can roll to evade it. If you succeed, you skip the combat all together, no horror check. If you fail, you proceed to fight, and you can then choose to fight back or evade again.

Sneak is the skill which determines the base your evade check, which you then modify with monsters alertness, skills/allies/items that specifically target evade, and so on.

Sneak is not used only for evade checks, some cards call for raw sneak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing.

If you fail an evade check against a monster it automatically hits you for its damage THEN you enter combat starting with a Horror Check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx to you all. Now I see clearer in Mr. Lovecraft`s fog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham has six skills, and four of them have a special skill roll associated with them. Some bonuses will work on the special chack, but not on the raw skill check; bonuses that raise the base skill DO work on the special rolls.

Raw Skill Check: Speed (Determines movement and used in some skill checks)
Special Check: none

Raw Skill Check: Sneak
Special Check: Evade (Used to avoid monsters)

Raw Skill Check: Will
Special Check: Horror (Used when facing monsters)

Raw Skill Check: Fight
Special Check: Combat (Used when smiting monsters)

Raw Skill Check: Lore
Special Check: Spell (Used to cast spells)

Raw Skill Check: Luck
Special Check: none

Basically, anything that adds to the raw skill will also add on to the linked special check, but NOT the other way around.* So if you have a weapon that adds to your Combat Checks, it will be useful when fighting monstrers (or making any encounter check that says "Combat") but does not add to Fight skill rolls (such as checking Fight to close a gate). An item which directly raised your Fight skill would work on both types of checks.

I hope this helps.

*This being Arkham, there are always exceptions, but unless some card says otherwise, this is how raw skills and special checks work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.