Subject: Why only five Browncoats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
I understand that there's not a lot of browncoat mooks running around Serenity throughout the series as crew members.

But five? Just five? Even Predator/Predator has 8 Killer Instincts. Marvel and Big Trouble seem to have more SHIELD Officers and Uncle Chus than you'll ever come close to needing.

We always buy out of the Browncoat cards early. For one thing, the character cards overall seem a little pricier. So a lot of the times, it's buy a Browncoat or buy nothing. If the Bridge traffic-jams with 4+ cost cards and 3 Recruit is all you can muster... well, you buy a Browncoat.

Yes, there's other things to do with Recruit in the episodes. But early on, the game seems more vulnerable to jamming.

You need a fair amount of Coordinate to complete the Help Deliver a Baby side job. And it helps for Smuggle Wobble-Headed..., too.

Did they fill up the total card number and just not have room for five more cards? Or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I demoed this game at Gen Con and I was wondering the same thing. I asked the person running the demo and he said they did it so that they could include more of the "cool" cards in the set instead of having a lot of the basic recruits.
I understand this, but at the same time I wish they included just a few more Browncoats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Well, yeah, but I wish they had put in less Uncle Chus and included more "cool" cards in Big Trouble, too.

I would have preferred five more Browncoats and five less Flaws. Does anybody really need 25 Flaws rather than 20 (the number of Talents)? The Flaws go back to the Flaw pile when you play them, so it's not like they build up in player decks. You're not sacrificing "cool" cards: you're just putting less of one utility card that is already there 20 times.

If anything, we tend to run out of Talents before we run out of Flaws. Admittedly, we've played with Book a lot, and his Avatar Talent is burning Flaws...

It's like two totally different teams worked on the two games. Which is probably true, but still... One team thought "Wow, Uncle Chu! Let's put a ton of him in Big Trouble instead of cooler cards." The other team thought, "Eh, Browncoats. Let's put in 5 more Flaws instead of 5 more Browncoats. Because Flaws are cool!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

There are two reasons there are only five Browncoats:

1. We felt that 15 Talents and 20 Flaws was as low as we were comfortable going. (There are fewer Talents than Flaws because we want to encourage players to use their Talents rather than hoard them.)

2. We felt that while Browncoats (or Sergeants/Commanders in previous Encounters games) are fun, we wanted to limit the total amount a group could have.

Thank you,
Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response!

Sorry: I misstated the numbers above. It is indeed 15/20, not 20/25.

We don't mind the low # of Talents, although there are some Avatars that you just can't play them that freely. Kaylee, for instance, doesn't have much chance to play her Talents to repair ship damage if everyone is (hopefully!) doing their job and there is no ship damage or it's being repaired. Ditto to some degree for Zoe. Plus her Talent is conditional: she can only use it if she takes damage on her turn. Simon also sometimes bottlenecks on Talents if people aren't injured.

We wouldn't mind the low # of Browncoats (BCs), except that Bridge bottlenecks seem much more common in Firefly. Other than Simon and Mal, each character only has one 2-3 Cost card (always a Common, I think). That sounds like a lot, and it is. The problem is, if you bottleneck then the cards in the Bridge don't change. And BCs, besides providing coordination, are the cards that give you enough Recruit to break the bottleneck in later turns. Just like SHIELD Officers, Madame Hydras, and Uncle Chus in the other games.

We're just not seeing 20 Flaws out at any given time. There might be other cards that could have been dropped to provide 5 more BCs. Flaws are just the first ones that come to mind.

So far, we're seeing a lot of turns where someone draws a 3C/3R (even in late game), there's nothing that they can do (Hidden cards have been revealed but you need at least a 4 to beat someone; it's not a good idea to scan cards when Ranged is lurking in the 'Verse during certain Episodes), the BCs have all been bought, and the Bridge has nothing less than a 4. The player just shrugs and says, "Eh, nothing I can do this turn." It's not very fun for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
one possible option could be to include "support" cards from the other LE (or L:M) games (Sergeants, Commanders, Uncle Chu, SHIELD Officer, etc.) in the game (assuming you have one or more of the other games).

Start the game with the 5 Browncoats on top of the deck, and then the other game's support cards under it (so that they become available once the 5 Browncoats are bought).

Not sure how the coordinate and/or character classes match up (I've only played Marvel once or twice and haven't played any of the other LE games yet), but at the very least, it would provide a bit of a boost in the future recruiting power of the deck on those turns when you can't do anything else with those 3 recruit.

I suppose this does affect the "economics" of the game somewhat, but I don't think it would overly disrupt things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dannym77 wrote:
Hi everyone,

There are two reasons there are only five Browncoats:

1. We felt that 15 Talents and 20 Flaws was as low as we were comfortable going. (There are fewer Talents than Flaws because we want to encourage players to use their Talents rather than hoard them.)

2. We felt that while Browncoats (or Sergeants/Commanders in previous Encounters games) are fun, we wanted to limit the total amount a group could have.

Thank you,
Danny

Well, it was not enough Browncoats. I am adding a sergeant of each color to the stack for reasons already stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It kind Of makes sense thematically. The Serenity crew dealt with their problems on their own. There was the occasional guest star like in "The Message", but it's not like they had a bunch of Browncoats with them on the ship on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also wish they would have printed the "3*" cost up by the "Browncoats" label on the mat, instead of underneath where the stack goes, since no one can see it. Not a big issue for experienced players, but newbies might forget about that option.

Alternatively, you can flip over the top Browncoat (face up) and then visibly they appear like any other crew card on the Bridge, so players are kept more aware of that option. (this option does make the game a bit easier, though, as you then know which character class of Browncoat you can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Alternatively, you can flip over the top Browncoat (face up) and then visibly they appear like any other crew card on the Bridge, so players are kept more aware of that option. (this option does make the game a bit easier, though, as you then know which character class of Browncoat you can get.

You can also leave the Browncoat stack face-up, and when somebody buys one flip the deck over, give it a quick shuffle, have them draw a random one, then put the remainder back on the slot face-up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.