Justin Hall
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have the RotR base set the burned offerings I think it is called adventure deck and the character add-on deck. I'm going to get a campaign started with my friends and most of them have a big D&D background. What adventure add-ons should I purchase and in what order and what if any char. specific decks should I purchase ?

Do the char specific decks really add that much more/are they worth it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khaz
Philippines
Quezon City
flag msg tools
The adventure decks are like chapters to a story. You play them sequentially from 1 to 6 after you play the main adventure path. The character add-on deck is completely optional. You will only need it if you intend to play five or six characters. Personally I got the add-on deck for the druid even though I play mostly solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play completely through Rise of the Runelords, you need to buy the reamining 5 adventure decks. They should be played in order: B, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – The Skinsaw Murders Adventure Deck 2
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – The Hook Mountain Massacre Adventure Deck 3
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Adventure Deck 4 - Fortress of the Stone Giants
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords - Adventure Deck 5 - Sins of the Saviors
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Spires of Xin-Shalast Adventure Deck 6

The class decks can give you access to characters and classes that aren't in Rise of the Runelords, such as Oracle, Alchemist, or the upcoming Gunslinger. But, if you aren't going to play one of the characters from a class deck, you don't really need them.

I'd recommend you make sure you really like the game before investing in class decks. If you like it and what to play it multiple times or perhaps play Skull and Shackles or Wrath of the Righteous, then I think the class decks are worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to want these free fan guides available here on Boardgame Geek to make the experience a bit more like a role-playing game. Your thumbsup are most welcome:

Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide

PACG Iconic Hero Backstories

PACG Blessing Deck Deities

If you want to complete the entire Rise of the Runelords campaign, you'll need Adventure Decks 2-6; but you have enough in the base game box already to try the game out for a few afternoons to see if you like it.

The character specific decks offer different class archetypes and aren't necessary for play. They have cards that replace the base game cards so that the included character variants become viable; for example, a pirate character that uses guns is useless in Rise of the Runelords since there's no guns, so that character's deck has guns that you use to replace some base game cards like bows. I'd say buy a character deck if you've got friends who want to play a specific type of character that isn't part of the Rise of the Runelords set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hall
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll take everything into consideration and look at all the links posted here and test out the game with my friends to see what they think.

Thanks again !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been through the full campaign twice: Once with just the characters in the base set, and once using a character from the add-on pack. As Khaz said, the character add-on is optional (unless you want to play with 5 or 6). But since you have it, if there's a character in there that someone wants to play, you might as well use it.

The other class decks just add more characters, along with some unique boons. You definitely don't need them for your first campaign.

As Khaz said, the campaign tells a linear story, in 33 chapters. You have the first 8 in the box (3 scenarios in the base box, and 5 more in the Burnt Offerings box. Assuming you enjoy the game, and want the story to continue, you will want to buy RotR adventure packs 2 through 6. And you will play them in that order.

My advice to all people new to the game is to download and enjoy:
- A Guide For New Players, to understand the rules
- Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide v1.7, to flesh out the story, locations, and characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
khazkhaz wrote:
The adventure decks are like chapters to a story. You play them sequentially from 1 to 6 after you play the main adventure path. The character add-on deck is completely optional. You will only need it if you intend to play five or six characters. Personally I got the add-on deck for the druid even though I play mostly solo.

thumbsup

...I would also add to this that playing the decks sequentially is a must since the gear, weapons, monsters etc. become more difficult as the 'chapters' progress from one to another. You will not be able to achieve the goals of, say, deck 4, with newly formed characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.