Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered this game through Artscow... from Mark Chaplin's Artscow page I ordered The Thing #1, The Thing #2.1, The Thing #3 & The Things! 5 to 6 Player Expansion

I just received my cards in the mail and, EXCLUDING the expansion, I organized all the cards and began to count them to make sure my order hadn't gotten screwed up.

Low and behold I began to notice a few things.

In Aaron Bohm's Revised Rules 2.0, it states that there are 29 cards in The Thing Draw Deck #1 (My order came with 27 - immediately I'm concerned something went wrong). It also states there are 10x "Burn" and "Wait and See" Cards (presumably 5 of each).... mine came with three of each (for a total of 6). What is going on I wonder?

I decide to check Kevin's Fully Illustrated Rulebook v3. His rule book states there are 27 cards in The Thing Draw Deck #1. This matches up with what I got so I feel relieved. But his version of the rules also says there are 5 Burn Cards and 5 Wait and See Cards. Uh oh. Why is it that I only got 3 of each?

Let me check Clyde W's Updated Rules v1.01. His rules say there are 29 The Thing cards in Draw Deck #1 (same as Aaron Bohm's). His rules also say there are 10x "Burn" and "Wait and See" Cards. WTF

I look in Mark Chaplin's Director's Cut of the RULES, v2.1 - but first of all it states that it assumes you've combined the base game with The Things! 5 to 6 Player Expansion AND Man is the Warmest Place to Hide Expansion (an expansion that isn't even available yet) - but even still, the numbers don't add up. In his version of the rules it says there are 31 Cards in The Thing Draw Deck #1... even if you add the 29 (or is it 27?!!!!!) to the 7 additional The Thing Draw Deck #1 cards you get in The Things! 5-6 player Expansion it doesn't add up to 31. NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF CALCULATOR YOU USE! My brain is beginning to melt.

His rules also say there are 5 Burn Cards and 5 Wait and See Cards. WTF INDEED!!!!!!

HERE'S THE KICKER!!! - I also check all of the redesigns of the game, the reduxes, etc, as well as the hi-res scans of the original Artscow version of the game - as well as the Artscow files themselves. And in nearly all of them THERE ARE ONLY 3 BURN AND 3 WAIT AND SEE CARDS - SO THEN WHY DO ALL THE RULES SAY THERE ARE 5 OF EACH?!!!! ALSO, ALL OF THESE VERSIONS HAVE ONLY 27 CARDS IN THE THING DRAW DECK #1 - EXACTLY WHAT I RECEIVED IN THE MAIL!!!!!!

What is correct?!! Furthermore, do these discrepancies matter when playing the game? Will it affect my group's experience?!!! Will the game be broken if some of these numbers don't add up?!!! Gahhhh!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did exhaustive research when I put together my set a while back, so let me try to assist in clarifying things for you.

alphasixty wrote:
I also check all of the redesigns of the game, the reduxes, etc, as well as the hi-res scans of the original Artscow version of the game - as well as the Artscow files themselves. And in nearly all of them THERE ARE ONLY 3 BURN AND 3 WAIT AND SEE CARDS - SO THEN WHY DO ALL THE RULES SAY THERE ARE 5 OF EACH?!!!!

The base game (not including the Things expansion) only plays up to 4 players: 1 Thing Player and 3 Outpost Players. As such, only 3 copies of each "Burn" and "Wait and See" card are needed. So, for the base game only, 3 copies of each card is correct. If you add in the Things expansion (which increases the player count to 6), there will be 2 additional copies of each card added to support the additional players. Make sense?

For the Crew/Outpost Decks, here's the card-count for the base game (with Things expansion card-count in parentheses):

Crew Deck #1: 28 (+ 20 Things cards)
Crew Deck #2: 20 (+ 1 Things card)
Crew Deck #3: 18 (+ 1 Things card)

alphasixty wrote:
ALSO, ALL OF THESE VERSIONS HAVE ONLY 27 CARDS IN THE THING DRAW DECK #1 - EXACTLY WHAT I RECEIVED IN THE MAIL!!!!!!

For the Thing-Player Decks, here's the card-count for the base game (with Things expansion card-count in parentheses):

Thing Deck #1: 27 (+ 7 Things cards)
Thing Deck #2: 10 (+ 4 Things cards)
Thing Deck #3: 10 (no Things cards)

If you need any guidance on the particular card composition of any of these decks, let me know.

alphasixty wrote:
What is correct?!! Furthermore, do these discrepancies matter when playing the game? Will it affect my group's experience?!!! Will the game be broken if some of these numbers don't add up?!!! Gahhhh!!!!!

There are very few cards that will "break the game" if they're not included (the "Infection" cards are one you need to watch carefully). That said, you always want to try to have all the cards available for an optimal experience.

One personal bit of advice I have is that I highly, highly recommend mixing in the Things expansion cards, even if playing with 4 or fewer players. There are a couple of cards that need to come out (like the "Bad Blood" card) because they're not used with 2-4 players but most of the cards work just fine and make the game even more interesting.

Anything I can do to help more people enjoy this game. Once you've parsed the rules and made sure all your cards are in order, hopefully you'll find the same incredible experience that I did. This game really is a treat to play with people who are willing to get into it.

Also, I personally use Mark's "Director's Cut v2.1" rules. They're not perfectly written but I find they are ultimately the best version to work from. I've been trying to find time to use that version as the basis for my own revised rulebook to post here on BGG...but it's slow-going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
I did exhaustive research when I put together my set a while back, so let me try to assist in clarifying things for you.

alphasixty wrote:
I also check all of the redesigns of the game, the reduxes, etc, as well as the hi-res scans of the original Artscow version of the game - as well as the Artscow files themselves. And in nearly all of them THERE ARE ONLY 3 BURN AND 3 WAIT AND SEE CARDS - SO THEN WHY DO ALL THE RULES SAY THERE ARE 5 OF EACH?!!!!

The base game (not including the Things expansion) only plays up to 4 players: 1 Thing Player and 3 Outpost Players. As such, only 3 copies of each "Burn" and "Wait and See" card are needed. So, for the base game only, 3 copies of each card is correct. If you add in the Things expansion (which increases the player count to 6), there will be 2 additional copies of each card added to support the additional players. Make sense?

For the Crew/Outpost Decks, here's the card-count for the base game (with Things expansion card-count in parentheses):

Crew Deck #1: 28 (+ 20 Things cards)
Crew Deck #2: 20 (+ 1 Things card)
Crew Deck #3: 18 (+ 1 Things card)

alphasixty wrote:
ALSO, ALL OF THESE VERSIONS HAVE ONLY 27 CARDS IN THE THING DRAW DECK #1 - EXACTLY WHAT I RECEIVED IN THE MAIL!!!!!!

For the Thing-Player Decks, here's the card-count for the base game (with Things expansion card-count in parentheses):

Thing Deck #1: 27 (+ 7 Things cards)
Thing Deck #2: 10 (+ 4 Things cards)
Thing Deck #3: 10 (no Things cards)

If you need any guidance on the particular card composition of any of these decks, let me know.

alphasixty wrote:

There are very few cards that will "break the game" if they're not included (the "Infection" cards are one you need to watch carefully). That said, you always want to try to have all the cards available for an optimal experience.

One personal bit of advice I have is that I highly, highly recommend mixing in the Things expansion cards, even if playing with 4 or fewer players. There are a couple of cards that need to come out (like the "Bad Blood" card) because they're not used with 2-4 players but most of the cards work just fine and make the game even more interesting.

Anything I can do to help more people enjoy this game. Once you've parsed the rules and made sure all your cards are in order, hopefully you'll find the same incredible experience that I did. This game really is a treat to play with people who are willing to get into it.

Also, I personally use Mark's "Director's Cut v2.1" rules. They're not perfectly written but I find they are ultimately the best version to work from. I've been trying to find time to use that version as the basis for my own revised rulebook to post here on BGG...but it's slow-going.

Wow, thanks! When I get home tonight I will look over everything and see if I have any other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game, PnP, a work of love.d
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I just double checked my Things! expansion and everything seems to be in order. I guess when you say that there are 20 additional cards for Crew Deck #1, you aren't counting the Suspicion cards or the You are a Thing Card that also have the Crew Deck 1 Front?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
Okay I just double checked my Things! expansion and everything seems to be in order. I guess when you say that there are 20 additional cards for Crew Deck #1, you aren't counting the Suspicion cards or the You are a Thing Card that also have the Crew Deck 1 Front?

Correct. I count those separately as "Suspicion Cards". Even though they have the same backing as Crew Deck #1 (for purposes of concealment), they're not shuffled into the deck, so I don't count them as part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, awesome. Thanks for all your help! This game looks super fun, can't wait to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure! If any other questions come up, don't hesitate to ask. I've learned a few things (heh) via trial-by-fire with this game, so I'm always eager to give others the benefit of my experience.

For example: It's not very clear in the wording of the Director's Cut rules but, regarding "Man is the Warmest Place to Hide" rule about Outpost Players who are under suspicion, only those players under suspicion draw additional cards. Some interpretations have been made that, once any single player is under suspicion, all players begin drawing extra cards whenever prompted. This is not correct.

Also, make sure to remember that any cards discarded by Outpost Players as a result of "Bad Blood" are placed face-down under the Bad Blood card and not discarded to the regular discard pile. This is important for two reasons: 1) those cards are removed from circulation entirely, meaning they will not go back into one of the Crew Decks if they get reshuffled, and 2) there is a card that lets one of the players review the contents of the "Bad Blood Discard Pile". Played by the right player at the right time, this can serve as a big moment in the game, when a player can get a better sense if one of their own is infected or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rad. I'm sure stuff will pop, but this is a great start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! I got massively ahead of myself by including in the main rules, the listing of cards that were still being playtested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Sorry! I got massively ahead of myself by including in the main rules, the listing of cards that were still being playtested.

Ha, no worries! I've since sorted it all out. Thanks for designing the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.