Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:
The rules on p.25 say this about the factory card move action; move 1 unit up to 2 times with the same move action.

You have answered your own question here!

It is the "same move action" as defined in the rules, so speed adds an additional +1 for a total of 3 movement. The iconography indicates this by having both move symbols in the same box instead of two separate boxes like on the player mat.

Confirmed in this thread by Jamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With Speed, I think it was originally 4 and got nerfed to 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:

Thanks, didn't see that post. I wish the wording on P.25 would be different though because the rules as written will leave players not using BGG playing the factory move action wrong (if they follow the strict wording on P.25). It should have just said the same as Speed, +1 hex for movement.

If they follow the strict wording on P.25, won't they do what P.25 says and just move 3 spaces?

"SPEED: If you've unlocked the Speed mech ability, one of your mechs or your character may move up to 3 territories with this Move action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
baredas wrote:
The rules on p.25 say this about the factory card move action; move 1 unit up to 2 times with the same move action.

You have answered your own question here!

Yes, but the rules contradict; it starts out by saying you activate move twice i.e. giving 4 movement and ends with an example saying that you get 3...hence the confusion and question.

No, the rules don't contradict. You say: "you activate move twice".
The rules say (P.25): "It's a little different than a standard Move action", and "Move one unit up to two times within the same Move action"

The rules do NOT say to activate move twice.

In addition, the Speed details on page 15 explicitly define the bonus "per Move action".
"SPEED: Your character and mechs may move one additional territory per Move action."

Since the P.25 wording says "Move one unit up to two times within the same Move action", I'm not seeing any rules conflict. You move up to two times within the same action, and if you have Speed, you move up to one additional territory within that same action.

baredas wrote:
They might. Or they might read the actual rules under "Move" which will Lead them to 4

There are no "rules" vs. "actual rules". The entire rulebook is the "actual rules". There are Move rules, and there are Factory Move rules. The Factory Move rules clearly state "It's a little different than a standard Move action", and explain how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:

When taking a Move Action is moving a unit from one hex to another, Moving 2 times with speed would result in 4 hexes moved.

But the rule you refer to specifically says the two spaces are moved using "the same move action" which clearly indicates that only one move action is being taken.

Not to be difficult, but you are really stretching to make this an inconsistency, especially when the rules clearly state, in the same rules section, that this results in moving 3 spaces with speed.

This clearly belongs in my long-wished-for "wishful thinking" section of the rules forums...

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game otherwise, and I hope you can consider this cleared up now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:
When taking a Move Action is moving a unit from one hex to another, Moving 2 times with speed would result in 4 hexes moved.

Page 15 says the Speed bonus is once per action. How can that result in 4 hexes moved, since you're doing only one action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
baredas wrote:

Page 15 says the Speed bonus is once per action. How can that result in 4 hexes moved, since you're doing only one action?

I guess I read the rules differently than many others, but I read the Move paragraph on P.25 as
"in the same Move action you move the unit 2 times" and since a Move is 2 hexes with speed I saw it as a total of 4. That's all.

To be fair, on the same page it specifically states that the move action from the factory with speed is 3 spaces. The rules are very clear on this. The game cannot be blamed if you do not read all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an example of why the rules threads here sometimes drive me bananas. The answer was given in the first reply, complete with a link to the thread where the designer confirms it. Then the thread goes off on tangents about the language used in the rule, etc.

For my money, we'd all be better off if everyone arriving after that excellent first response had simply given the Reverend a thumb (and/or tip) and moved on. The rule question had been properly dealt with - the rest of it just muddies the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
This is an example of why the rules threads here sometimes drive me bananas. The answer was given in the first reply, complete with a link to the thread where the designer confirms it. Then the thread goes off on tangents about the language used in the rule, etc.

For my money, we'd all be better off if everyone arriving after that excellent first response had simply given the Reverend a thumb (and/or tip) and moved on. The rule question had been properly dealt with - the rest of it just muddies the water.

You are both an eloquent and reasonable human being! I have always enjoyed your concision and accuracy around these here parts and if you lived closer I would suggest that we game together.

Cheers!

Edit: I have also always appreciated your avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many posts are needed to convince you that *your* own reading and interpretation of the rules may be incorrect here?
I will try a different way... how about iconography? On the factory cards the box for the movement action encloses two meeples, clearly showing one unit moves twice, i.e. 2 spaces -- as opposed to the player mat where units move only one space. The mech ability adds one space to any movement action a unit takes. So 2 or 3... not 4, sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably too late to join this thread, though the question was answered at the very top. Here's the section in the rules where it specifically says how a Factory card interacts with Speed. We anticipated it might be a little confusing, so we included this clarification in the rules to avoid confusion or debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.