Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about a particular Example provided on page 36 of the rule book.

Here Rocky explores northeast. It's a woods card. He opts to traverse West instead because he doesn't like the woods card. So now he explores again and finds a lake card and then stops there on the Lake card.

This confuses me because he explored and then chose not to go in that direction. So he then traversed and explored again. Is this not the same as back tracking?

I understand that explore means to reveal a new card. Traversing is to move along an already revealed card but one of the first rules of movement is not to backtrack. And if instead this is considered a Contingency move, then the rule of contingencies is that you cannot explore anymore cards; you can only move into revealed cards.

By this example, should I understand it that it is okay for me to explore every exit of the card I am on before choosing which way to go so long as I'm counting the cards I am exploring?

If I start on one card that has 5 exits, can I stay there and reveal every exit before choosing which one to move into so long as the number of the card (O'Clock) doesn't match the number of exits?

Can you help me understand this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very new to the game, but I'll try...
TWrecks wrote:
Here Rocky explores northeast. It's a woods card. He opts to traverse West instead because he doesn't like the woods card.

His 1 o'clock move was into the woods. For his 2 o'clock move, instead of exploring out in a random direction, he traversed to an existing card (to the west of the woods).

Quote:
This confuses me because he explored and then chose not to go in that direction.

No. He did go in that direction, and then continued out in a different direction.

Quote:
So he then traversed and explored again. Is this not the same as back tracking?

If his 2 o'clock had been back to his starting location, then yes, that would have been a backtrack, and thus would be illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making me go back and read the examples. Today I learned that a "Contingency Move" is not limited to a single step, but instead could involve traversing several cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I'm very new to the game, but I'll try...
TWrecks wrote:
Here Rocky explores northeast. It's a woods card. He opts to traverse West instead because he doesn't like the woods card.

His 1 o'clock move was into the woods. For his 2 o'clock move, instead of exploring out in a random direction, he traversed to an existing card (to the west of the woods).

Ahh! You are totally right. I was not careful enough to compare his position on the prior page. I didn't pick up on him placing the woods next to an existing card. So he wasn't backing out on going to the woods, he just took an established path out of the woods.

That makes more sense now.

So I would be correct that it is not allowed that you can just explore every exit before moving out of the card you are in, without having the telescope that gives you that ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
So I would be correct that it is not allowed that you can just explore every exit before moving out of the card you are in, without having the telescope that gives you that ability?

You would be correct. As soon as you place the 1 o'clock card, you are not allowed to return to your starting position within that same turn ("backtrack"). Your 2 o'clock would have to be out through an exit of the 1 o'clock card that is not the route you came in through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.