BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Sort of like Roll for the Galaxy, but different...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Roll for the Galaxy. Absolutely love it. Here's why:

1. Lots of bright, colorful pieces (dice)!
2. I'm building something unique- creating my own little "machine", crafting a universe that is different from my opponent's.
3. Each game is different - different tile combinations mean different strategies. I have to adapt to what I draw.
4. Plays in an hour or less. I like longer games, but this play time is ideal for us right now.
5. Reasonable amount of depth. There's a lot of strategy here, but it doesn't quite hurt your brain. It's juuuust right.

So can the geek collective give me recommendations for games that share some or all of these features? I don't want anything too abstract, I like me some good theme in my games! Dice are optional. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elysium
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Glass Road

None of them have dice but you are building something and all take right at an hour or less with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:

2. I'm building something unique- creating my own little "machine", crafting a universe that is different from my opponent's.
3. Each game is different - different tile combinations mean different strategies. I have to adapt to what I draw.
4. Plays in an hour or less. I like longer games, but this play time is ideal for us right now.
5. Reasonable amount of depth. There's a lot of strategy here, but it doesn't quite hurt your brain. It's juuuust right.

So can the geek collective give me recommendations for games that share some or all of these features? I don't want anything too abstract, I like me some good theme in my games! Dice are optional. Thanks!

Steampunk Rally seems a good match for all 5 and takes your number 2 very literally as you are each creating your own wacky racing machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Imperial Settlers would be a good fit. Each faction has its innate strengths, but your strategy will have to adapt to the cards you (and your opponents) get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies meets some of these requests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Arcane Academy might work. You get to build a little machine, it looks nice, and plays in 60 minutes or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:

Race for the Galaxy, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
+ steampunk rally. That seems to hit your requirements very well.

Also check out:
La Granja (not so flashy, but otherwise good fit)
Islebound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn decent theme, great art, slick gameplay, plays in about 30-60 mins and dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
7 Wonders is a great game that seems to fit most of your requirements. No dice, but lots of different coloured cards and strategies that are always changing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not very colorful or thematic, but The Castles of Burgundy seems to fit what you're after
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Not very colorful or thematic, but The Castles of Burgundy seems to fit what you're after

For a bright, colorful, and thematic Castles of Burgundy, see Grand Austria Hotel. But you won't play either of them in under 1 hour.

+1 Glass Road - It has great depth, plays very quickly, and plays very quickly.
Troyes
The Voyages of Marco Polo

The last two both use dice in a creative way (like Roll). They aren't as fast-playing as Roll, but once both players are familiar with the rules, 1 hour is doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:

Also check out:
Islebound

Islebound looks fantastic! I've been curious about Above and Below but haven't played. I have Artifacts Inc. which was so-so, but Islebound appears to be a lot more thematic. I will keep my eye on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wanted Steampunk Rally for a while but when I actually watched a video of it it didn't quite click with me. Maybe it was the racing part I didn't like? Not sure, but I just wasn't as excited for it as I thought I'd be.

I'll have to look more into La Granja, though it looks like the playtime may be a bit long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Soleia wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Also check out:
Islebound

Islebound looks fantastic! I've been curious about Above and Below but haven't played. I have Artifacts Inc. which was so-so, but Islebound appears to be a lot more thematic. I will keep my eye on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wanted Steampunk Rally for a while but when I actually watched a video of it it didn't quite click with me. Maybe it was the racing part I didn't like? Not sure, but I just wasn't as excited for it as I thought I'd be.

I'll have to look more into La Granja, though it looks like the playtime may be a bit long.

Islebound is a lot of fun, and has wonderful and whimsical art and game mechanics. It can play in 45-60 min, though we often deliberately stretch it out a bit longer when we're having a good time.

For me, Steampunk Rally really shines due to the combo of engine building and "engine breaking", where you can make a great machine that moves you forward, but then it starts to get clogged up, and then you hit some bumps and parts start coming off, which forces you to add new parts and reconfigure it. That cycle continues throughout the game, and then on top of that people can play cards that impact other players so there can be a fair bit of interaction.

La Granja is just a nice euro game with dice placement with engine building (you add to your farm) and clever application of multi-use cards, which are different every game. The illustrations/components are pretty meh, but it is a really satisfying game to dive into. I haven't timed out plays, but I think it could be played in an hour, maybe less, by experienced players.

I played The Voyages of Marco Polo for the first time last night. It is very nice, with pretty components, but I don't think would play under an hour.

I personally am not fond of The Castles of Burgundy. It is fun to play, but doesn't have the depth we like and isn't redeemed by its uninteresting theme and marginal component quality.

I notice that you don't have Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. If you play mostly 2 player, and like farms, and can imagine cute little wooden animeeples as "theme", then check it out. It (with the expansions) is one of our all time favorite under-30 min games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Soleia wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Also check out:
Islebound

Islebound is a lot of fun, and has wonderful and whimsical art and game mechanics. It can play in 45-60 min, though we often deliberately stretch it out a bit longer when we're having a good time.

For me, Steampunk Rally really shines due to the combo of engine building and "engine breaking", where you can make a great machine that moves you forward, but then it starts to get clogged up, and then you hit some bumps and parts start coming off, which forces you to add new parts and reconfigure it. That cycle continues throughout the game, and then on top of that people can play cards that impact other players so there can be a fair bit of interaction.

La Granja is just a nice euro game with dice placement with engine building (you add to your farm) and clever application of multi-use cards, which are different every game. The illustrations/components are pretty meh, but it is a really satisfying game to dive into. I haven't timed out plays, but I think it could be played in an hour, maybe less, by experienced players.

I played The Voyages of Marco Polo for the first time last night. It is very nice, with pretty components, but I don't think would play under an hour.

I personally am not fond of The Castles of Burgundy. It is fun to play, but doesn't have the depth we like and isn't redeemed by its uninteresting theme and marginal component quality.

I notice that you don't have Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. If you play mostly 2 player, and like farms, and can imagine cute little wooden animeeples as "theme", then check it out. It (with the expansions) is one of our all time favorite under-30 min games.

Thanks for the input! I have looked into Agricola:ACBS and would probably like it, but it always seems to be out of stock on most websites. When it is in stock it seems to be more expensive than I feel it's worth.

I think the messing with your opponent factor was another thing I didn't actually like about Steampunk Rally. I don't know. It sounds like a game I would love, but it's one I'd really like to play before buying. At least I can try out Burgundy and Marco Polo on Yucata. La Granja, though a little bland, might have some potential. Islebound gets me with the piratey theme and cool artwork. I think that's going in my next order for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discoveries has a very nice engine building component and it's a dicefest.

+1 Seasons

I really like The Voyages of Marco Polo but it doesn't give me an engine building feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks to all who have suggested so far. I'm getting closer and closer to placing an order. I want to get just one last order in before Christmas... we'll see how that actually works out.

jhaimowitz wrote:
Discoveries has a very nice engine building component and it's a dicefest.

+1 Seasons

I really like The Voyages of Marco Polo but it doesn't give me an engine building feel.

Discoveries looks beautiful. I will have to explore that one some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort also has a great look and is a very solid game, too. It might be a bit longer, especially with more people. 3+ is ideal, but it also works with 2 (it uses an interesting "dummy" player there, where players have some influence over).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Belfort also has a great look and is a very solid game, too. It might be a bit longer, especially with more people. 3+ is ideal, but it also works with 2 (it uses an interesting "dummy" player there, where players have some influence over).

Bye
Thanee

Aside from the longer play time, that game looks nice! I'll keep it in mind for future consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.