$15.00
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mbmbmb
https://www.yahoo.com/news/government-wont-reclassify-mariju...

Gotta let Pfizer get a few more years of profits in before we recognize what everyone already knows: Marijuana treats a variety of disorders & symptoms better & cheaper than what big-pharma wants you to pay for. THANKS, OBAMA!

AP wrote:
US government won't reclassify marijuana, allows research

The Obama administration will keep marijuana on the list of the most dangerous drugs, despite growing popular support for legalization, but will allow more research into its possible medical benefits, the Drug Enforcement Administration announced Thursday.

The DEA said the agency opted not to reclassify marijuana after a lengthy review and consultation with the Health and Human Services Department, which said marijuana "has a high potential for abuse" and "no accepted medical use."

"We are tethered to science and bound by statute," DEA spokesman Rusty Payne said Thursday.

The decision to keep marijuana in the same class of drugs as heroin and peyote comes amid growing national support for the legalization of marijuana. More than half the states have legalized the drug for either medicinal or recreational use.

The DEA said it plans to make it easier for researchers to study marijuana's possible medical benefits by expanding the number of entities that can legally grow marijuana for research purposes.

Currently only researchers at the University of Mississippi are allowed to grow marijuana, as part of a contract with the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Allowing for further research is the latest step forward in the federal government's evolving position on marijuana, although legalization advocates claim it doesn't go far enough.

The DEA's latest review of marijuana's classification was prompted by requests from the former governors of Rhode Island and Washington. They requested that marijuana be considered a Schedule II drug, along with cocaine, morphine and opium.

The decision was announced in a lengthy notice in the Federal Register.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the prison-industrial complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
And values, lets not forget the values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Anybody who thinks Barry the Bonger wouldn't legalize pot in a second doesn't know much about the man.

The federal bureaucracy and Congress are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into legalization. A lot of federal employees' jobs are directly related to the "War on Drugs," and a lot of members of Congress (not just Republicans either) represent constituencies that have a majority of voters opposed to the idea.

But hey, let's be simple and stupid, okay?

#thanksObama
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Oh believe me I do not.

But it's the bald-faced lie of "marijuana has a high potential for abuse" and "no accepted medical use" that forms the cornerstone of this travesty. Prisons and booze companies are merely accessories to the crime, with less clout on K-street than big-pharma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Anybody who thinks Barry the Bonger wouldn't legalize pot in a second doesn't know much about the man.

The federal bureaucracy and Congress are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into legalization. A lot of federal employees' jobs are directly related to the "War on Drugs," and a lot of members of Congress (not just Republicans either) represent constituencies that have a majority of voters opposed to the idea.

#thanksObama
Oh, so the guy famous for executive orders and skirting congress whenever politically expedient is now going to hide behind federal workers? Please, dude. Go make excuses for Dear Leader somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
...what everyone already knows: Marijuana treats a variety of disorders & symptoms better & cheaper than what big-pharma wants you to pay for. THANKS, OBAMA!

Except those with the most expertise and experience with prescribing effective medications. You know, medical doctors.
Quote:
Marijuana offers many promising avenues of investigation, although there will be little advancement without a change in US government policy. But for a physician, the reason for the lack of data is not nearly as important as the lack of data itself. As physicians, we cannot ethically prescribe or recommend a powerful pharmaceutical whose effects are not at least reasonably well-known. In fact, it’s hard to envision any situation in which prescribing marijuana would be ethical. If there were a condition with a lot of anecdotal data and no other effective treatment, and the risks of the condition were such that they outweighed the health risks and dependence potential of marijuana, we would maybe—maybe—have something to work with. But for now, people who want to take cannabis should not count on a doctor to approve it for them.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/medical-marijuana-are-w...

Que the replies, "but they're paid shill for big pharma (R), so we clearly cannot trust doctors to have our health in mind!!!"
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://time.com/3931863/medical-marijuana-benefits/

Yep, lets jump right to legalization.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

#thanksObama
Oh, so the guy famous for executive orders and skirting congress whenever politically expedient is now going to hide behind federal workers? Please, dude. Go make excuses for Dear Leader somewhere else.

And...we're back to simple.

The executive orders issued by Obama, Bush, (B.) Clinton and other presidents DO NOT overturn laws or regulations, regardless of what the GOP may say. What executive orders can do is set priorities, enforcement polices etc. that roughly conform to the original legislation, or in absence of legislation, create a context until legislation is approved. To overturn an 80-year-old law that is being upheld by the critical parts of the federal government would be not only unconstitutional but ineffective.

Take gun control for example. Obama has chipped away at the edges, but the real changes he has advocated in gun laws were basically laughed down by Congress. He couldn't issue executive orders to, say, ban ammunition clips in excess of 10 rounds, because that would directly overturn law.

It's really nice to have a single person to blame (i.e. Obama, Bush, et. al) but the reality in America is that CONGRESS wields the real power, and until Congress makes the changes, there's little any president can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been for legalization of weed, or at bare minimum, decriminalization.

I have become a bigger advocate recently, as it has really helped my father who is fighting Pancreatic Cancer, and it's the only thing that has helped his appetite and dulling the pain without having to take so much Morphine.

Of course he lives in Tennessee, where medical marijuana is not legal. Lucky for him he has good friends who have been able to make it available for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Except those with the most expertise and experience with prescribing effective medications. You know, medical doctors.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/medical-marijuana-are-w...
Really dude?
Really?
sciencebasedmedicine.org is your definitive source for all "medical doctors?"
Really?

Look, I could sit here and Shreve you to death with a wall of wonderful hyperlinks proving weed's usefulness in a multitude of pain relief theaters (HIV, cancer, MS, glaucoma, chemo effects, schizophrenia) or tell you that it's been used for literally thousands of years around the globe for pain relief and only became verboten in America in the early 20th century.

But it's more accurate to say it's next to impossible to get the sort of pretty, sparkly, sexy wide-area government studies that you apparently yearn for as long as it's classified as a schedule-1 drug. You have completely fallen into the Catch-22 of "Where are all the large studies?!?" when it's the DEA that tells us all how terrible weed is, and therefore any facilities that attempt that research have to navigate a maze of DEA/FDA/HHS regulations.

So if you're one of these people who can honestly attempt to equate marijuana with its schedule-1 brother heroin, then I'm afraid there is nothing more I can say to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
costguy wrote:

shake
Please tell me what you are scared of.
Don't toss a Time magazine link in my face.
Tell me, in your own words, why you object to legalization.
I am all ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
You have completely fallen into the Catch-22 of "Where are all the large studies?!?" when it's the DEA that tells us all how terrible weed is, and therefore any facilities that attempt that research have to navigate a maze of DEA/FDA/HHS regulations.

Except that what just happened is that the government directed a big increase in the ability to study it. It's been a catch-22 for a while, but they just charted a course out of it.

I support legalization on libertarian grounds, but you can get your cannabis from Marinol legally with a prescription and in known dosages. Weed varies widely in the amount of its active ingredients present, and may have other stuff in it which could cause side effects or drug interactions (and, if you smoke it, you're obviously damaging your lungs, too). That's my wife's problem with it--sure, weed can help, but there are more medically-respectable ways of accomplishing the same thing, they just don't get you high. So that's the background against which the FDA is claiming there's no ethical medical use.

In my ideal world, pot would be legal but never prescribed. It has all the same problems as "supplements".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I could care less whether it's legalized. But in all reality the majority who are pushing for its legalization aren't doing so due to any medical efficacies. The majority are doing it so they can get legally high. I don't have a problem with that, although like other drugs I think you should face stiff penalties if any of your actions while high cause others damage or injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
costguy wrote:

shake
Please tell me what you are scared of.
Don't toss a Time magazine link in my face.
Tell me, in your own words, why you object to legalization.
I am all ears.

The government just said let's study it.
That's all I'm saying. It's a change from don't study it to study it.
I don't want any drug used that has not been tested.

Now, legalizing for recreational use? Possibly, but I'm not convinced the negatives will outweigh the positives. Lets give Colorado etc. a chance to show how it pans out. Ct. (where I live) has legalized medical marijuana. Let the studies happen, let the states try it out. And while I am not a fan of Obama, this kind of blame game is silly.

Also let's point out potential detrimental side effects.

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/05/fatal-road-crashes-involving...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yawn. It should be legal for recreational use, but let's not delude ourselves that its questionable medicinal benefits are being ignored because Big Pharma is running the show. Its questionable medicinal benefits are being ignored because they're questionable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that some people are more pro-marijuana and some people are more anti-marijuana, but what could this possibly have to do with "big pharma"? What does this have to do with Pfizer's profits? Seriously, I don't even know what the suggestion is here. That if marijuana were legal there would be a massive boom in human happiness and fewer people would need treatment for depression? I'm trying to figure out what the point of the OP is without mocking it, but all of the possible interpretations I can come up with are absurd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the Libertarian wing of the GOP on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
They're holed up in the back room smoking dope and arguing about whether drivers' licenses are a gross violation of personal liberty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
SPIGuy wrote:
They're holed up in the back room smoking dope and arguing about whether drivers' licenses are a gross violation of personal liberty.

laugh
I covered a trial once where some nutjob (he was political, but you can guess what branch) tried to get his traffic ticket for not having a driver's license overturned based on his interpretation of the Law of the Sea or some such nonsense. If he had smoked a lot of dope, I would have understood his actions better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
Uh huh. Imagine if you will a boat full of libertarians lost at sea. Instead of searching for landfall, they spend all their time arguing about the boat owner's property rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
Uh huh. Imagine if you will a boat full of libertarians lost at sea. Instead of searching for landfall, they spend all their time arguing about the boat owner's property rights.

Wasn't there a plan to make some kind of libertarian paradise on an oil platform or a big boat or something? I remember reading with amusement that they wanted to avoid the tyranny of (among other things) government-mandated safety codes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
aiabx wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

Wasn't there a plan to make some kind of libertarian paradise on an oil platform or a big boat or something? I remember reading with amusement that they wanted to avoid the tyranny of (among other things) government-mandated safety codes.

Yeah, apparently some libertarians played BioShock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I understand that some people are more pro-marijuana and some people are more anti-marijuana, but what could this possibly have to do with "big pharma"? What does this have to do with Pfizer's profits? Seriously, I don't even know what the suggestion is here. That if marijuana were legal there would be a massive boom in human happiness and fewer people would need treatment for depression? I'm trying to figure out what the point of the OP is without mocking it, but all of the possible interpretations I can come up with are absurd.

You're trying to find logic from someone who is probably a pot head. Good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Wasn't there a plan to make some kind of libertarian paradise on an oil platform or a big boat or something?

Floating City Project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.