Boss Monster: Crash Landing» Forums » General

Subject: Only for 5-6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tinke
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this expansion only playable with 5-6 players?

..or can it be player with normal 2-4 player game and regular rules?

There is one new treasure type, that propably mix up the regular rules, but that might be fixed by deleting one of the other treasure type cards from the game (or so I assume). For example cards that have sword treasure type (rooms, heros, bosses etc.)

I am just wondering, because the scifi theme is so cool that I wanna combine that to 2-4 player game as well and add some more replayability to the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
HEEEEEEEEEELLLP MEEEEEEEEEE..AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
there are new boss cards, new room cards, and new spell cards which work like standard boss monster, so you don't need 5 or 6 players to use them. Then there are hero cards that have the player symbols under them for 5+ players. there is also a new treasure type, and a couple of rule tweaks for 5 or 6 player games. You won't feel ripped off if you get it because there are plenty of cards you can add to your boss monster copy that don't require you to have 5 or 6 players.

honestly I never really understood why some heroes are setup to add to the pile if you have more players...I'm pretty sure you could use those heroes marked for 5+ player count in 2 player games by removing the stock 2 player heroes and replacing them with some of the new ones.

The new treasure type only attracts the new heroes anyway so it would partially be pointless to play them if you don't have the new heroes. I say partially because if you don't use the new heroes, the new treasure type would be useless to attract heroes, but the card skills will still be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Grocki
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got the expansion so I haven't had a chance to play in a group with it yet, but I don't see any reason why you can't add all the cards to a 4 player game. It will dilute the cards a bit, but I'm not sure if it will really matter in a 4 player game. In a 2 or 3 player game you may end up with Heroes that go no where or rooms that are useless for awhile. All the Boss cards, Room cards and Heroes in this expansion have the new treasure type. If you want to use any one of these types of cards, you may as well add them all to be useful. The Spell cards, however, can be added to any 2-6 player game as they do not mention any specific treasure type. If I get a chance in the near future to play in my usual group of 4 I'll update this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried playing with this expansion and both Boss Monster and Boss Monster 2? I'm a little worried that the new treasure type will be too diluted with the full complement of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I'm just guessing here, but I think we might see another big expansion or even a Boss Monster 3 set that includes Hero cards to play with both 5+ and 4- players in a game that will allow the players to attract heroes with a more equal frequency with this new treasure type, compared with the other ones.

Looking at this expansion, especially the rooms and heroes, I think it's a bit sad that those cards will only be able to play with in a game for 5 or 6 people, according to what the rules and the cards themselves imply.

If you don't mind combining the two base sets, however, I don't see a big problem in adding all of them to a game with any number of players, allthough I'd think that using one base set plus some of the other expansions may be balancing this out better. The suggestion to remove some of the other heroes and/or rooms sounds like a good idea to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacky Blue
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play all-in, randomly dealing out the right number of heroes for the number of players and it works fine. Even with two.

Edit: all-in for us is Boss Monster 1 & 2, Tools of Hero Kind, Crash Landing and Paper & Pixels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I would like it that way as well; just all of it.

Does the new treasure type work well when you play all-in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacky Blue
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found so. Of course it's a risk/reward dynamic, which some players might not like, i.e. Risking not getting as many heroes. But I think it works quite well. A strong leader can fall back a little when the alien tech comes up and they have no treasure types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Fortunately, the rulebook provides us with a variant in which the game ends when the Hero and Epic Hero decks are out of cards. This basically means that
A) 10 souls or 5 wounds isn't a limit for any of the players
B) You can costum the game any way you'd like; any Hero card could be in it, even those from this expansion.
I think I'd prefer this variant when I want to play with multiple sets, including cards I wouldn't see otherwise. I also realize it eliminates the element of surprise regarding which Hero you'll encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Build a sustainable future for all, while we can.
badge
HELLO.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that more expansions, including balancing out the relative lack of the sci-fi type, do seem very likely while they've got a fan-base eager to collect.

And as you say, for someone like myself who enjoys customising a mix of BM1 & BM2 cards, it's perfectly possible to come up with balanced mixes of all 5 types for 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
HELLO.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking about increasing the interaction of the new cards, you could also do so by making '?' items and heroes attach to explorers and their treasure type. And could stipulate that the Dragon's Hatchery and Hatchling's Hoard include that treasure type as well as all the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this question to, so I played with just two players twice now. We didn't have any problem mixing everything together (our everything = rooms, bosses, spells, and heroes from the base game, paper and pixels, tools of hero kind, and crash landing). *

Here is how many hero cards you would normally have for 2-6 players.

2 players = 13 regular heroes and 8 epic heroes
3 players = 17 regular heroes and 11 epic heroes
4 players = 25 regular heroes and 15 epic heroes
5-6 players = 32 regular heroes and 20 epic heroes

So, we just mixed all the heroes of a certain type together, and randomly picked 13 regular and 8 epic. Worked fine and I didn't notice any problems or concerns.

*EDIT: We did not use items in either game, but the rest worked fine together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
HELLO.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tony, could you please do me a favor and briefly explain how 5-6 players works for the bait phase? I hear you don't leave heroes of drawn types in town, but I've not been able to find out what you do instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Strategette wrote:
Hi Tony, could you please do me a favor and briefly explain how 5-6 players works for the bait phase? I hear you don't leave heroes of drawn types in town, but I've not been able to find out what you do instead.

I can answer your question. You are right, when playing with the 5-6 player Crash Landing expansion heroes no longer stay in town if there is a tie. Instead heroes are split evenly among the tied players (remainder stays in town) with the oldest hero going to the tied player with the highest Boss XP.

Example: You (900 Boss XP)and two other players (750 Boss XP and 600 Boss XP respectively) are tied for the fighting type and there are 7 fighting type heroes in the town. In this case, the oldest hero goes to you, then the next oldest goes to the other player with 750 Boss XP, then the next oldest goes to the other player with 600 Boss XP, then the next oldest goes to you. You will end up with 1 hero that can't be evenly split among the 3 of you and so this hero remains in town.

This info and example (albeit slightly modified) comes from the rules included with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
HELLO.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that makes sense. Many thanks Cole! I wanted to try these rules out with my pre-Crash Landing collection before I invested in it, although I am now tempted to get the fifth treasure type for playing with fewer players anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.