Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Is there something weird about the control Console? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

Shouldn't the cost to upgrade the shields or weapons be up one level?

For example, the Klingons start with 5+ to hit, but to the right of that is a 4 research cost. Next level up is 4+ to hit with a 6 research cost.

To me, this implies it costs 4 research to get to 5+ and to "move up one level" you have to pay 6 research. We know that you need 4 research to move up to 4+ to hit.

I just don't understand why the cost of the upgrade isn't on the same line as the upgrade. Looks really weird to me. Am I missing something or does this look counter intuitive to others as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The pointer is pointing at the current cost to upgrade. Seems intuitive enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

Shouldn't the cost to upgrade the shields or weapons be up one level?

For example, the Klingons start with 5+ to hit, but to the right of that is a 4 research cost. Next level up is 4+ to hit with a 6 research cost.

To me, this implies it costs 4 research to get to 5+ and to "move up one level" you have to pay 6 research. We know that you need 4 research to move up to 4+ to hit.

I just don't understand why the cost of the upgrade isn't on the same line as the upgrade. Looks really weird to me. Am I missing something or does this look counter intuitive to others as well?

Cost to upgrade to the next level is on the same level you are on, that is why the top two levels don't have a upgrade cost, cause you cannot upgrade any further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are two point of clarity needed:

1) The cost of each upgrade is separate. Thus to completely increase Weapon accuracy to 1+, you'd need to spend a total of 28 research (4 + 6 + 8 + 10) = 28.

2) The research cost aligned with the current hit roll/ modifier, is the cost to move the slider up 1. Thus to get to 4+ Hit roll, you must spend 4 research. To reach 1+, you'd need to be at 2+ and spend 10 research.

I think that should clarify everything (hopefully). I saw it as fairly streamlined, but I can appreciate I've had a decade of Hobby Board Game XP to understand this stuff :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.