7 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Variants

Subject: Jargono Hunting Parties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
I had mentioned in another thread about running a group of 4 Jargono Natives as a party and was asked to let folks know how it goes. Feeling modivated, I started to knock out the following as a simple and grossly rough guide. I just wanted to put a framework in place and get playing:

Jargono Hunting Parties:

Start in Jargono, not the Mines, and play according to the rules of this otherworld.

Use the Jargono Tribal Village created by Klutz as your town. Klutz cannot be thanked enough for his outstanding contributions to the community that play this game.

Note, the gear deck is the Jargono artifact deck. Add appropriate Jargono village items to the deck. I also added: a find a peril die of poison and hunting arrows card; 2 more find fungus tokens;one of the extra healing stone artifacts; and I want to add some find the village tokens as well.

Note you have to be prepared to work with or around some of the things that might happen as the village is designed for non-natives.

I'm basically not doing a travel phase at this point. Actually, I might just use swamp encounters as the travel hazards.

Benefits of keyword Jargono in the village:
·Dollar and dark stone prices are half, round down, on every item. The prices listed are the non-native costs.
·Metal (look at the card image) hand weapons are worth 3x the listed $ value when traded at the village. Keep an open mind here, the stone items from Cynder would also be valuable.
·You can negate the location event rolled on a 4+ on a D6
·Earned gold is not in fact gold but items valuable to the Jargono village, the distinction is irrelevant. As such, gold, dark stone, and items can be banked at the village as everything the heroes find that is useful goes to the collective benefit of the tribe. If you want an item or piece of dark stone that you have banked, it is only available on a D6 4+ roll. Someone else is using it—remember, your gods are not crazy.

Village Craftsman
·Add the following from the Indian Trading Post to the items available here. All Tribal Arrows: the eagle feather arrow is not available but substitute the poison arrow for $200. Put D3 poison tokens on a target wounded with a poison arrow. Add Snake Skin Belt.
·Add Jargono Bow and Dark Stone Daggers as per the card. (Jargono only)

Storage Hut
·Fungus tokens are available for the cost of $300 (so $150 for keyword jargono.)
·Add the Tribal Shield as per the card (Jargono only)

Shaman's Tipi
·Add the doc and church tent from the camp site here
·Add the frontier outpost-outpost bank here
·The sweatlodge ritual will remove a corruption point for each 5 or 6 rolled on your spirit test. (only once per village visit)
·Vision quest too? I think talking with locals/elders at the fire covers this.

There are more things I’d like to add in line with Philbarfly’s additional swamp monsters but that is for another day.

Everyone interested is welcome to contribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

I really like the idea of the Jargono village, haven't played it yet but the rulebook is great.

Maybe the Shaman can do some ritual that allows player some kind defence against Magick keywords. Good against Serpentman shaman, maybe a small chance at dispelling his spells, bringing it down from mastery, or defence against hex hits?

Peace treaties with certain Certain serpantmen tribes, could be rolled like finding out the type of towns (with frontier expansion). Certain tribe alliance could give you different things available in the town?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
I've played a few games, and straight Jargono is really fun. Totally different feel. Lots of close in fights with all the ambush bonuses. Everyone has basically had at least one mutation due to all the dark stone weapons and raw stone they've been carrying back to the village. Thus why I modified the sweatlodge ritual to also remove corruption. Not a clean sweep but a bit that helps.

The Hunting net at the village can maybe change to the official one. I think being able to throw it adds a benefit, So I might change the name to casting net.

We also need arrow tokens.

Back in February Philbarfly and I worked on a few Jargono weapon artifacts as I thought the world was lacking them. Lucky me that they seem perfect with the new Native hero.

My guys have all sort cool stuff and items with very neat synergies developing. The Choco club is super cool with the knife fighter who ignores poison. He has that and the Ju-Ju wand and they work perfect together--a lucky mine artifact draw of the mole foot charm is the bridge, giving the 4 spirit to use the wand. I've already ordered these: http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=4513 and http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=4514 and http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=4353

In my old gaming group, we always used to joke that just give me an angry man with a knife as my character. The story for Gurgunda is that he was a dude in a village that was being terrorized by a demon that kept killing everyone. It was his turn to go out and try to kill it or die trying and on the way he found the crystal knife. He managed to kill the demon but he didn't know the knife was magic. So every time something threatened the village he was sent to go kill it, people would say when he walked by, "there goes Gurngunda and his knife."

Lots of great inspiration looking into Maori history and culture. The tooth club started life as a shark tooth club and developed. And the Patu just wrote itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

I had another idea for expanding on the Jargono village.

It could be a different location (Hunter camp) or part of the campfire location.
It's inspired by the hunting phase in Kingdom Death.

Basically it's a group of all the villages hunters.
When visiting this location you can go on a hunt with them if you pass a strength or cunning test (prove your worth to the hunting party).

This would immediately end your town visit.

Then roll to see what they want to hunt (swamp raptors, Swamp Slugs, Serpent men, Swamp slashers) Then remove all of these from the otherworld Threat deck.
I guess you'd reroll if you don't have that expansion.

There could be a roll to see how many Jargono Human hunters are in the party (roll a d3x2).
They would act like very basic allies, 4+ for all stats (8 Health, No sanity effect on them)Just fighting in hand to hand with dark stone club. If you want to get fancy could roll for each warrior on 4/5/6 they also have a bow (same stats as Jargono Natives bow)
they would be targeted and behave like another heroe.

Heores start in Jargono Mine tile, Darkness marker is placed on 8. Everytime the hero fails to hold back the darkness the Darkness marker moves towards the Darkness starting point (to the right).
Whenever a hero finds a clue, roll a D3 and move the Posse marker forward that many spaces (they are catching up to their quarry)

If the Darkness marker reaches it's starting point, the quarry has escaped and mission is failed.

If the Posse marker and the darkness marker meet, the hunting group has found the creatures they are hunting. It acts like an epic threat, ignore all encounters and doors. Whatever was selected for hunting, all available models are put on the board, (plus one extra elite ability maybe), except if swamp raptor is selected then it would be the epic 1 Raptor version.

Each enemy type to hunt is given a dollar value, bogbats =not that much, swamp raptor= a lot!
If heroes are succesful in the mission the tribe gives them that much credit in the Jargono village.

Maybe if the heroes are victorious and the sole survivors roll a d6:
on a 1 the villagers believe your heroes to be cursed, some kind of penalty, maybe have to reroll all successes when tested for all subsequent hunts (they don't trust you)or the roll gets harder (spirit6+)?

on a 5-6 the hunters at the village look to you as honorary hunters, having survived unsurvivable odds. Each heroe can draw a Jargono artefact as a gift, and do not have to roll tests any time they want to join a hunt (they are always welcome).

That's pretty much the idea. Needs some work but the main structure is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Neat idea. I don't want to mess too much with Klutz's work as it is too good. I'm thinking of some sort of hunting party mission where you need to use hunting nets to capture some type of enemy. Perhaps use the camp fire for getting hunting goals/bounties. I'm still play testing to make sure everything is polished and then I'll approach Klutz to see if an update to the village is appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as there is a new Jargono Native in the regular game, maybe certain characters would be considered exotic posse members there (and maybe native Americans would be considered "brothers" in arms since they are tribal). One can see the Native Americans making common cause here, just in case the Darkstone infestation is eventually ended. All that Jargono "tech" would be useful to the tribes in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.