Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shield of Faith rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
G'day all,

Shield of Faith states "Use when you or a hero on your tile is hit by an attack. The attack misses instead. You and each hero within 1 tile of you gains a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next hero phase."

My question is does the +2 bonus stick with the heroes that were within 1 tile of the cleric when it was used, or does it apply to any hero that subsequently moves within range of the cleric?

For example, Arjhan is 2 tiles away from Thorgrim, Kat is on the same tile as Thorgrim. Thorgrim gets attacked on his turn and uses Shield of Faith so he and Kat get a +2 bonus while Arjhan does not. On Arjhan's next turn he moves on to the same tile as Thorgrim. When Arjhan gets attacked, does the +2 bonus now apply to him? Similarly, if Kat moves 2 tiles away and gets attacked, does she still get the +2 bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st option and kats shield remains if she walks away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
LurchBrick wrote:
G'day all,

Shield of Faith states "Use when you or a hero on your tile is hit by an attack. The attack misses instead. You and each hero within 1 tile of you gains a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next hero phase."

My question is does the +2 bonus stick with the heroes that were within 1 tile of the cleric when it was used, or does it apply to any hero that subsequently moves within range of the cleric?

For example, Arjhan is 2 tiles away from Thorgrim, Kat is on the same tile as Thorgrim. Thorgrim gets attacked on his turn and uses Shield of Faith so he and Kat get a +2 bonus while Arjhan does not. On Arjhan's next turn he moves on to the same tile as Thorgrim. When Arjhan gets attacked, does the +2 bonus now apply to him? Similarly, if Kat moves 2 tiles away and gets attacked, does she still get the +2 bonus?

The D&SAS rules don't make any attempt to answer or resolve issues with this sort of detail so it's really up to you to determine how to answer them.

I would also say that the bonus applies to those within the range at the instant it was applied. If someone moves in closer later then the bonus doesn't apply. If someone moves away so to be out of range later then they keep the bonus.

So if I read your example correctly, Arjhan wouldn't get the bonus but Kat keeps the bonus for her next turn.

If you prefer the effects such that the bonus applies to those Heroes that come within range (and disappear if the Hero moves away out of range), then that's fair enough. Play the way you and your group would have more fun with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpreted this as allowing Thorgrim to dodge the attack, then any hero who was within 1 tile at the time of the spell going off had the +2 AC stick to them till end of turn. Arjhan would be up a creek without the extra AC since he was out of range when the spell/ability activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always took it as anyone within 1 tile of the cleric gets a +2 bonus when they're attacked, for as long as the spell is in effect.

In other words, the Shield of Faith radiates out from the cleric. It has nothing to do with what heroes were near the cleric when the spell was cast. Any hero within one tile gets that bonus. If a hero enters the area from farther away, they are now protected. If any hero leaves the area, they lose the protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
DoomTurtle wrote:
I always took it as anyone within 1 tile of the cleric gets a +2 bonus when they're attacked, for as long as the spell is in effect.

In other words, the Shield of Faith radiates out from the cleric. It has nothing to do with what heroes were near the cleric when the spell was cast. Any hero within one tile gets that bonus. If a hero enters the area from farther away, they are now protected. If any hero leaves the area, they lose the protection.

As mentioned, that's a perfectly good way to play it as well.

It depends if you want a "pulse" to occur (and effect those within range at that instant) or if you want the Shield of Faith to have an "aura" that blesses those within range for a while.

It depends on how you interpret the Shield's power. I suspect the aura might be more in-line with D&D methodology but I'm not sure. Maybe there's a similar issue with D&D as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

This is the interpretation I went with also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.