Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone done a rules mod that makes XW accessible for the average 7-8 y/o?

Yes, I realize this sort of post will attract chime-ins of proud parents claiming that they've taught their 3 year old to govern three batches of TIE swarms and multiple capital ships simultaneously in a faithful 2 hour reenactment of the Battle of Endor, but I'm not looking for that...

I'm hoping for rules mods that allow totally average kids with totally average attention spans and totally average reading ability to learn and play the game, muggle-style, with about the same level of know-how it takes to do a basic game of Pokemon.

Is what I'm looking for essentially just playing the game without upgrades or advanced pilots? I just don't see the meta appealing much to most kids, and without that interest I could see squadron managment getting dicey. Heck, I know it does the same for me. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen anything like you are suggesting for competitive play, but if co-operative play is of interest to you, I suggest checking out Heroes of the Aturi Cluster (dockingbay416.com/campaign).

Each player gets a single Rebel ship and works together to battle the AI-controlled Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
I haven't seen anything like you are suggesting for competitive play, but if co-operative play is of interest to you, I suggest checking out Heroes of the Aturi Cluster (dockingbay416.com/campaign).

Each player gets a single Rebel ship and works together to battle the AI-controlled Empire.

Thanks - I've played one of the scenarios, and potentially that's a way to go, sure.

I'm asking more because I think the game my brother in law and nephew would like, but there's going to be a learning barrier there, since neither has played the game. My BiL is no stranger to gaming, but I've noticed that games I've gotten for him in the past seem to stay un-used unless that learning barrier is easily overcome.

I'm worried that the Aturi Cluster adds another layer of rules on top of things, and that probably it's not the best way for a newb to learn/teach the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I would say just start with the easiest level and go up from there - so first it's just move ships and roll dice. If they're good with that, then use stress, actions, and obstacles. Use pre-built squads to 50 or 60 points using just generic pilots.

If you're feeling motivated, use a squad builder app and build a pile of 15/20/25/30 cost ships, print each one on it's own slip of paper, then let the kids grab whichever ships they want up to a pre-determined point value. This allows you to get some of the extra decision points and fun from ordnance without a 7 year old trying to do a value comparison between 3 points for the predator upgrade on one ship or upgrading an academy to a black squadron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
jph0 wrote:
Hi Eric. I play more or less exclusively with my 6 and 8 year old boys. We basically leave out critical hits, and for a long time we left out stress tokens but we have started adding those in. We do use upgrades, but we have some pretty basic ships to fly. We have 2 cores, an a wing, b wing, falcon, tie advanced, And tie interceptors. I almost always fly the imperial ships and often play at a lower point number when playing against them.

We also started off not being too strict with rules about running into other ships. So, I guess it is pretty intuitive, but I just started teaching them the game leaving out chunks of rules that did not totally derail the game playing without them. My 8 year old caught on pretty quickly and we were able to add in rules in a hurry, and he is now getting into the squad building aspect of the game. My 6 year old is still playing han solo every time in the falcon. But everyone is having fun when we play :-)

Yeah, the "ship bumping" rules aren't particularly intuitive... I could see those be frustrating (they are for me, anyway...).

So it seems like you're keeping the base rules intact, and just stripping out stuff like stress, target-locking, etc. until they're ready?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole system is derived from Blue Max, and they didn't need a ton of bells & whistles to be engaging. I don't see why it should be any different, now. Just teach them how to shoot and how to move. See how it goes from there. If they feel engaged with that basic gameplay, they'll be engaged with the more advanced stuff, too, even if they aren't quite ready for it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other quick thing that I have found helpful is to build the lists ahead of time and make sure to include no overlapping Pilot Skills. For example, give the Imperials a PS1 and PS3 TIEs and then a high PS ship. Give the Rebels PS2 and PS4. This gets around the initiative rules which I have found to confuse some new players. It's so much easier to teach by saying move the ships from lowest to highest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with the above and build the lists ahead of time.

Also limit your use of upgrades. Generics are fun too. For X-Wings maybe just R2 then Integrated Astromech when they are more comfortable. Build up to Ace abilities and upgrades.

X-Wing started out as a simple game and can be. But with abilities and multiple upgrades on a single ship it can get very complicated and quite overwhelming.

Start simple, keep it simple and add for flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
When I started my 6 year old all I did was let him pick movement templates he wanted and roll dice. Once he understood the movement system I introduced the Dials for each ship. After that a slow buildup thru actions, upgrades and named pilots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.