Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Descent arrives today with a wide assortment of expansion content (plus cooperative options). I'm reading the rules now, but wanted to ask two questions that aren't clear from the rules alone:

1) The campaign rules stipulate 1 xp is given to every participant in the quest, win or lose. No spoilers necessary, but is it unheard of for xp to be acquired in other manners (i.e. as additional reward for winning, or other scenario specific events)? I am not constraining this inquiry to just the base set quests, but the whole of the line (i.e. if Nerekhall introduced xp quest rewards, I'd like to hear that they were rare until that expansion, etc).

Just curious if, in practice, xp is a slow drip, or whether things exist to accelerate that.

2) Familiars. It says, unless otherwise noted, they only have a move action. Naturally attack actions, if applicable, would be spelled out, but how about pick-up/carry actions? Can they be assumed to be able to do that, or can I trust FFG to clearly delineate that if applicable?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Each quest will have a "rewards" section at the end which will clearly state the reward (if any) for both the winner and loser of the quest. Usually (but not always!) both the winner and loser will gain 1 xp. Sometimes, the winner gains an additional xp. Sometimes, the winner gains a unique item ("relic"), extra gold, or some other benefit. Experience is not typically gained in other ways. There might be exceptions (such as the Archaic Scroll), but they are rare indeed.

2. All familiars have at least 1 single move action. Most familars have additional actions which are specifically mentioned on their familiar card and apply only to them. For instance, the reanimate can also perform an attack action. But if it is not specifically mentioned on the card, then the only thing a familiar can do is a move action. This means that they cannot pick up or carry items, they cannot open or close doors, they cannot search, etc, unless specifically mentioned.

Have fun playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a familiar receive and use valor token from the Champion's skills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
1. Each quest will have a "rewards" section at the end which will clearly state the reward (if any) for both the winner and loser of the quest. Usually (but not always!) both the winner and loser will gain 1 xp. Sometimes, the winner gains an additional xp. Sometimes, the winner gains a unique item ("relic"), extra gold, or some other benefit. Experience is not typically gained in other ways. There might be exceptions (such as the Archaic Scroll), but they are rare indeed.

Thanks, mate. You nailed it for #2, but here.. well.. I get the theory, and you did confirm for me that xp is sometimes a victory reward (thanks for that), but my question was less about theory and more about practice.

I'm not looking for specific campaign spoilers, but is it common, uncommon, or extreme rare for xp to be given as a reward? Just trying to imagine how player ability scaling will work in practice.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
Can a familiar receive and use valor token from the Champion's skills?

They can if they are "treated as a figure". This applies to most familiars but not all of them (for example, Skye is an exception). Familiars treated as a figure can be affected by all hero abilities and overlord cards that target a hero. Like monsters, if the familiar would have to make an attribute test, he automatically fails them. (See descent rulebook, page 18 for more info).

Anarchosyn wrote:
Thanks, mate. You nailed it for #2, but here.. well.. I get the theory, and you did confirm for me that xp is sometimes a victory reward (thanks for that), but my question was less about theory and more about practice.

I'm not looking for specific campaign spoilers, but is it common, uncommon, or extreme rare for xp to be given as a reward? Just trying to imagine how player ability scaling will work in practice.

Thanks again.

Just checked some quest guides and it is actually rarer than I had imagined. It must be the fact that I play overlord quite often as it is very common for the overlord to gain an additional XP. For the heroes this is can be classified as very rare.

Actual number of quests in the Shadow Rune, Lair of the Wyrm, and Shadows of Nerrekhall campaigns in which the heroes receive extra xp as a reward are in the spoilertag below:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The shadow rune: 4
Lair of the Wyrm: 0
Shadow of Nerrekhall: 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.